Preventing critters from chewing on caches

TripLeader

Can anyone suggest a way to discourage critters from vandalising caches? I've had teeth marks on tupperware containers before... and they were never used for home-made cookies. Today, I replaced a micro-cache. I was amazed at the number of chewy marks on that very appetizing film canister!

I'm trying to think of some type of weather-proof deterent and I'd appreciate your comments. (Pepper, anyone) icon_confused.gif?

Probably the best way would be to use an ammo can. Short of that I would imagine if you did a google search you would find some commercial product.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

During the google search I suggested I found this which may be worth a try. I like the moth ball idea.

That reminds me:

has anyone ever seen moth balls?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Use an ammo box. Cheaper than Tupperware and water and animal proof ('cept maybe for a grizzley).

Failing that, make sure you use a new container (one that NEVER contained food and keep food and smelly items (soaps, candles, etc..) out.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Coating the Tupperware with some hot pepper spray or powder would work for squirrels and most rodents but not all small animals would be deterred by it. In fact,a lot of birds love the taste.

Plus consider the poor cacher who rubs his eyes while handling a peppered cache container.

The mothballs around the cache might be a better idea. I've had good luck with an ammonia soaked rag to keep varmints from returning to a burrow near my house. Of course, it wouldn't last a long time and your cache would have a certain urinated smell. icon_rolleyes.gif

Pieces of rope soaked in bone oil will keep almost all animals away from a garden. Don't know how it would work on a cache but it smells bad to everything and everybody.

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" - William of Occam

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

That reminds me:

has anyone ever seen moth balls?

No But if YOU have how'd you get his little legs apart? Huh? Who held the wings?

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

As a matter of fact more damage is done to Traditional copper based telephone wires by rodents than any other factor ( age, breaks due to heating and cooling, weather related events((floods, icing ect.))) Now they are pressurizing the control rooms (or hutches). To enter the tech. has to enter a code on a key pad and you can hear the pressure seal break. Then you wait for a few seconds so that oxygen can enter the room. Most people agree this is important. That is waiting for the oxygen to enter is important to most. Maybe not for that Borg guy...

www.ManuelCasillas.com

[This message was edited by manuelcasi on November 23, 2002 at 06:59 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

If the container is made of PVC, those chew marks may be from mice or rats. I've heard they like the taste of PVC and have even been known to cause electrical shorts by chewing insulation off wires in control rooms.

Mice will chew the insulation of the wires on a car that's been sitting, they take the stuff to make their nests.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

Plastic Stinks.

All plastic products emit an odor of some sort. No matter how clean you think a container is, the chemicals used for making various plastics "out gas" over time. Humans don't have sensitive enough noses to pick up the scents coming from a plastic container, but alot of varmits are able to.

My advice, use metal containers whenever possible.

It's not what you fling,

It's the FLING itself.

icon_geocachingwa.gif