Garmin Rocks

Just to let the "Caching" public know, I had a problem with my Legend. After the coords. came up after satellite lock, the unit shut off.

Emailed Garmin support with the problem. Kristi from Garmin emailed me back with the possible solution/fix for me using my PC and upgrades, BADDA BING, problem solved! I am back to Caching and Mapping. Thanks Kristi and Garmin.

How about you other cachers, any comments on your "support as needed" from the makers of your prized machines? Be it Garmin, Magellin or others.

Nice to know when I had a problem, there was support from the Manufacturer. This is something that happens very little these days. I thought I would pass this on.

My hockey Mom beat up your soccer Mom.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

Zoltig-

I agree with you. I had to call Garmin support and got great support from them.

I decided to sell my Garmin GPS 12 to a coworker. I deleted all my waypoints off of it, showed her how it worked, etc. Then she looked at me and said, "Why does the date on it say 1836?" 1836?!?! I had no idea. I set it outside so it could get a good lock on the sat's, but no luck.

Anyways, I called Garmin support and they had never heard of this problem. We tried a few things, but it didn't help.

Finally, they gave me some funky codes and keypresses to "hack" the gps, and that finally did it. Basically, we did a "boot-to-the-head" reboot of the built-in software.

Anyways, I thought they were very helpful and enjoyed answering my questions.

Way to go Garmin!

icon_biggrin.gif

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

I'm glad you had such success!

I had a problem with my Magellan a couple of months ago and e-mailed them for support......I still have not received a response!

I did call their support line and found them to be friendly and helpfull. Thales just needs to check their e-mail support or remove the option from their website.

OG

Prophetically Challenged

I have a horrible time with email support of any kind. It seems they are always quick to respond and point out the things I've allready done to solve the problem but when I ask the hard questions they dissapear. Maybe they are hoping I'll go away or that maybe the problem will resolve by itself. Once in a while I'll start looking on the net and find a forum that discusses the issue and solves the problem. No thanks to the company. Each company could host a forum for their product and let "us" do the tech support.

On the worst day in these forums I've seen more effort than the best day emailing tech support of a company who actually got to make money selling the equipment that isn't doing it's thing.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I have a Mag315, and had to call Magellan about it a few weeks ago. Even in perfect conditions, my gps wouldn't get a sat lock. They asked me to leave the unit outside for an hour, I told them that I'd already had it out there for 2 hours. The guy I was talking to asked me if I had a data transfer cable, I said yes, and he sent me a link to a complete OS of the new 3.15 Magellan system. All I had to do was attach the cable, and run the program (with the unit turned on). Fixed everything.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

I have a Mag315, and had to call Magellan about it a few weeks ago. Even in perfect conditions, my gps wouldn't get a sat lock.

I bet it had a hard time getting a lock after your mommy smashed it with a hammer the other day, huh?

How does that brand new GPS work? What brand you got now?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Garmin does indeed rock! I broke the little spring battery clip thingamadoojus in my Vista, which was about a year old. I soldered it together myself to go caching, then emailed them about the problem later. They replied to my email in 24 hours, had me send it back under warranty, even though soldering the clip technically violates the warranty. It was back in my hands in just over a week. Not only was the battery clip fixed, they replaced the entire outside case, including the chipped screen. AND they even preserved my waypoints. How impressed was I? I bought a yellow eTrex to use while the Vista was in the shop.

Garmin Rocks!!

When I read that I thought like Brian did that Garmin is coming out with a copy of the geocaching.com stones.

My Garmin 12 Map suffered a damaged antenna connector when my Mighty Mouse remote antenna lead got yanked out during a fall.

Garmin replaced the GPS even though it was several months out of warranty and was damaged by misuse of a non-Garmin accessory.

I was impressed, would certainly remember that when/if I upgraded to another GPS.

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

What happened to Snazz? I thought he was the forum bad-boy? See, this is what happens when I take a couple of road trips. I have no idea what's going on in this soap opera that we call the Groundspeak forums.

I started on a wonderful new medication. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Garmin may indeed rock, but my friend found out this past weekend that they sink like rocks also.

The eTrex will certainly sink, but the Map 76S floats.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Garmin may indeed rock, but my friend found out this past weekend that they sink like rocks also.

The eTrex will certainly sink, but the Map 76S floats.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

I'm sure I'll spell it wrong: That's why they give you the free lanyard ('cept the Yellow). I try to always put it around my wrist... it has saved me a number of times when I've done stupid stuff. Plus, it keeps me from leaving my GPSr behind ;-p

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

There customer service is great. I went 500 miles with my etrex only to come back home and drop it in the bathroom floor. They replaced it with no problem. I think the reception sucks though and people always say my coordinates are off. Oh well it was only a $100.