First aid kits- How big is yours?

Bilder

There are more types of first aid kits out there than you can shake a stick at.

Just curious what you carry? Ready made or home built? Big one, or small?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I bought a small ready-made to put into a cache as a trade item. Then I took a wipe out while caching and had to break into the kit. So, now I carry a small ready made. icon_smile.gif

In my car, I have a much larger home made kit with stuff suitable for more serious injuries, and things like car accidents, etc. It also has some very basic survival gear. It gives me piece of mind while out on back roads, and for things like our driving trip down the Pacific Coast Highway.

"You are cleared for geocaching."

I carry a small ready-made that's about the size and shape of a flask that you'd fill with booze and keep in your pocket. Most of the stuff in it has been used and replaced, sometimes with similar items, sometimes with completely different items. I also added a small tube of Aleve and a snake-bite kit.

--

Pehmva!

[sTATS IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Random quote:

[RANDOM QUOTE IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Okay this is my hot-button so excuse me while I rant.

Why in the hell do you guys carry such an inadequate First Aid Kit. As with all things, before you decide to carry something sit down and figure out the reasons first. Then you should pick the items to stock. Every response above isn't a first-aid kit, its an owiee ooohhhh kit. Why do you want to carry a first aid kit? The answer should be because you feel that at some point you will find yourself in a situation that will require medical attention that can’t wait for someone else (professionals). Is a small abrasion a medical emergency? Could you wait until you get home to treat? The day you come upon a REAL medical emergency will be the day you figure out that your first aid kit IS CRAP!!! You don't need a 30lb medic bag either. Think about the area that you hike/cache. What type of emergencies will you encounter? 99% of the time you will be treating someone else and not yourself. Do you have any training in first-aid? Start off with airway, bleeding, shock. Pack accordingly. Ask around at a fire station to see what professionals carry. Take a CPR class at Red-Cross. Bottom line, don't be the guy caught out in the woods watching your buddy or child bleed to death with an open fracture because your carrying BANDAIDS and IGNORANCE!!!!

"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there,

Eighty are just targets,

Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one,

One is a warrior,

And he will bring the others back."

Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Besides the basic "ouch, I have a small scrape" stuff, I carry sutures, a snake bite kit, sunscreen, stuff to survive a few days if I'm really screwed, road flares(they will start a fire in the shower) and a .2 micron water filter. I also carry 145 oz of water for most hikes/caches...man that is ALOT of stuff. I usually like to hit the hard terrain with my two dogs or for the easier stuff I bring my kids along, so I am always carrying for more than just what I need (my pack only weighs 20 lbs).

BTW I have never had to treat myself, it has always been someone else........hey I was a Boy Scout and I have no excuse for my preparedness.

I have a small backpackers 1st aid kit made by Atwater Carey (about 5" x 7" x 2") and I augment it with sutff like extra moleskin, additional alcohol wipes and a small roll of 1st aid tape. It all fits in a 6 x 9 inch zipper pouch.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Duc - Well said, well said. As a volunteer in the backcountry I've seen more than once the useless bandaid kits most hikers carry.

My kit is completely homemade, from bandaids to sam splints, large gauze pads, (Kotexes work real good for these), several sizes of ace bandages, ice packs, aspirins, duct tape, moleskin, antiseptics, rubber gloves, space blankets, extra poncho. And it all fits in a nice little fanny pack, that has two water jugs, just might need to wash the wound or take a drink.

And one must know the effects of altitude sickness when going in the mountains, it can knock a flatlander right on their backside real quick.

8807_700.JPG

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

I read somewhere that Crazy Glue is decent for emergency "stitching". I keep one in my 1st aid kit just in case, but never had the opportunity to try it out.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Duc996:

Okay this is my hot-button so excuse me while I rant.

Nice rant icon_wink.gif, but you still didn't say what YOU carry.

For the daypack I've got the much maligned abrasion kit, with a few ster-strips thrown in for the nastier cuts.

For backpacking/overnight I've got the full on first aid complete with splints, tourniquets, and a ton of pain killers (usually tylenol #3).

More important than the taking the first aid kit, I feel, is don't forget the common sense. Take your time; keep your head up and not on the GPSr; and if it looks like a dangerous situation, then it probably is.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Brian,

I recently cut my finger and hesitated trying the new liquid bandage products since I really didn't want to put crazy glue on a cut.

I bought "New Skin" liquid bandage to give it a try. It's great! Not really anything like crazy glue. It puts sort of a rigid gel over the wound (I know, rigid gel doesn't make any sense, but that's my best description). It's also an antispeptic. It is also much more protective than I would have thought.

It's going in my first aid kit.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

I bought "New Skin" liquid bandage to give it a try. It's great!

I think that New Skin product is pretty good too. I don't carry it because of the weight of the glass bottle that it comes in; not to mention I might break the bottle when packing it icon_razz.gif It works great for cuts with clean edges, covering abrasions (ouch! sure stings though), and covering blisters. Never tried super glue, but I know of people that have and say it works good to a point; it tends to peel off after a day or so. The New Skin adheres a little better, I've heard.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Duc996:

Why in the hell do you guys carry such an inadequate First Aid Kit. As with all things, before you decide to carry something sit down and figure out the reasons first. Then you should pick the items to stock. Every response above isn't a first-aid kit, its an owiee ooohhhh kit.

Interesting rant, but that's all it is - a rant.

Did it occurr to you that maybe some of us have thought about it and stocked accordingly?

Most of the outdoorsy stuff I do is either hiking/walking on well-established paths with mostly gentle hills or off-roading in my Jeep. The biggest threat on the trail is rattlesnakes - I have a bite kit, cellphone, an FRS radio and sometimes a handheld CB. Ocassionally I get a headache after spending too much time in the sun - I have pain killers. A twisted ankle is the next most likely injury. Past that, abrasions and getting stuck by yucca plants are about it.

My first aid kit is perfectly adequate for just about anything I'm likely to encounter, short of my Jeep rolling over on me. Just because you may be obsessive about your kit and you go on more strenuous hikes than others doesn't mean that your idea of a kit should be everyone else's.

--

Pehmva!

[sTATS IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Random quote:

[RANDOM QUOTE IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

As a firefighter that has pulled many of hikers out of the woods I can say there is some basics you need besides the obvious (companion, cell phone, common sense).

Most injuries do not require much if any treatment, IE. scraps, bruises, small cuts. Where you usually get into trouble is your big falls where you'll get broken bones, head injuries or lacerations.

So I think to deal with those you need some basics: Kerlix gauze rolls, tape, some 4"x4" gauze pads, ice pack, a few band-aids & an ace bandage. I can treat 90% of injuries with these simple items. Everything there can splint bones along with any sticks you can find.

Somethings I carry beyond that though are:

Pill bottle with advil, pepcid, tylenol #3, naprosyn and tums. That will deal with most pains and aches! icon_biggrin.gif

I also carry a scissors or knife, signal mirror, glow/light sticks, string, matches, space blanket, kleenez, kitchen towel, extra socks and a Sawyer snake bite kit.

Firehouse16 & Code3

"Dave, Teresa & the 2 kids"

Duc966 sounds like my mother-in-law. She'd have us caching in my departments EMT suburban if I'd listen to her.

Not that what you said doesn't have merit, but as others stated, common sense is one of your best bets. That saying " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure " is one of the best axioms I've seen.

If more people used their heads, we'd have 50% fewer emergency calls a year.

All that said, I carry an assortment of bandages, ointments, duct tape, handi-wrap (it will help staunch bleeding with direct pressure ) cold packs, ace bandages, tylenol, and sting-eze. I seal it all in ziplock bags, and then in a vacuum pack bag.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

I carry 2 different kits depending on where I am going. For in town parks and such, it is a simple bandaid, ointment, tape, asprin, etc. kind of kit.

For the back country, I carry the above with some gauze rolls, SAM splint, duct tape (no hiker should be without duct tape), ice pack, burn wrap, and some string.

No need for snake bite kits up here.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I think a man is only as prepared and ready as his Medical Kit is. Now i hear that, in the vast majority of Cache's they will be close to a well devolped path.... but noone can ever predict the unpredictible... (Ironic isn't it?) I have a large (bought ....cost me a preaty penny) Medical kit.... so if i ever go out in the woods i know that whatever IS thrown at me i can deal with. The medical kit is not too heavy, and has the majority of stuff i would need in an emergancy situation... One thing i DO need though is Sutures....So far i have been unable to find them anywhere.... Besides...You never know when you might run into a preaty "damnsel... or Dude... In distress..." icon_wink.gif )

--Alsid Prime--

GeoCaching for a goal.

I put together a kit that has quite a few goodies in it. It is small enough for a fanny pack, so I'm not overloaded. I have the usual bandaids and strip sutures, moleskin, antibacterial wipes, and neosporin. Also fit in asprin, advil, tylenol, BENADRYL, alcohol preps, safety pins, needle and thread, scissors, tweezers, non-latex gloves, gauze pads, feverfew cool gel (instant cool relief), rolled gauze, breathing shield, anti-itch patches, visine, ace bandage, imodium, pepcid tablets, pencil & paper, and small knife. Also always carry duct tape (good for lots of things, including pulling out cactus needles!) and whistle. All that fits into a small pack about 5x6x2 1/2. Readin this thread reminds me I ought to have one of those space blankets in there as well.

We each have a nicely stocked first-aid/emergency kit as well. My 2 cents would have to include keeping up on the expirations of the products you have in your kits. This website might help if you are putting one together: www.first-aid-product.com For those caching with dogs, remember them as well. There are kits for pets specifically. Although most things in a person's kit can work for a dog. Just remember never give a dog ibuprofen!

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

My first Aid kit is a homemade one I took an old small fanny pack and cut the straps off then put what I want and needed in it. There is room to add more if I need to and it fits nicely into my backpack

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

There are more types of first aid kits out there than you can shake a stick at.

Just curious what you carry? Ready made or home built? Big one, or small?

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I have used the liquid bandage and a spray on one I like them both they are both in my kit as well as gloves, basic first aid book for backpackers, various types of guuze/bandages, some splints (but there are other things that can be used on site) snake bite kit, needles tweezers all sorts of antceptic wipes and neosporin. I have more than one mouth to mout set up I always cary lots of water... lots of other stuff all in a medium sized fanny pack that like I said earlier fits in my pack.... the important thing is knowing how to use the items you carry as well as just carrying them... also have a basic homemade survival kit... but this can vary depending on time of year and location I am in.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Brian,

I recently cut my finger and hesitated trying the new liquid bandage products since I really didn't want to put crazy glue on a cut.

I bought "New Skin" liquid bandage to give it a try. It's great! Not really anything like crazy glue. It puts sort of a rigid gel over the wound (I know, rigid gel doesn't make any sense, but that's my best description). It's also an antispeptic. It is also much more protective than I would have thought.

I bought mine from the Red Cross.

They offer two models and part of the money you spend buying those is given to the Red Cross so they can buy stuff to help people. This page shows the two kits (in french):

http://www.croix-rouge.fr/goto/secours/trousses/index.asp

The first one is to be kept in a car or at home, while the second one is full of you need for a trekker. The small one is about 20 Euro (that's about 20 US dollars or so).

I spent 10 minutes searching in the US Red Cross web site but the kits are nowhere to be seen. But if you contact them they can probably explain where to buy those, and it's good since part of money goes to the Red Cross and their stuff is full of useful things icon_smile.gif

I have a homemade first-aid kit, in a tiny backpack-shaped bag. Neosporin, bandaids, pocket knife, various wipes (antibacterial/anti-poison-oak/plain wet wipes), tweezers, and a small selection of medications (advil, allergy med, imodium). After a year of caching, it was pretty obvious what we usually needed on the trail, so I just consolidated those things into one small bag.

Good posts all. I carry a med kit that echo's my survival gear. It depends on the area I'm in and the ease of rescue, degree of isolation, etc... the smallest kit I carry is the size of a pack of cigarettes, very basic, along with a very small survival kit ( i dont like the word "survival kit" i just carry my "pack") the pack itself is primarily a water container/fanny pack (i live in the desert) It contains a space blanket, clear trash bag, mirror, magnesium bar, matches, small knife, cell phone, ID, pocket money, etc..

For longer trips in more isolated/risky terrain the kit increases in size.

WCS=worst case scenario:

My "trauma kit" is a USN unit-one bag with advanced life support equipment and emergency drugs. It fits into my "survival" bag, a medium alice pack (military surplus or ranger-joes online) in this I have a camelback, poncho, strobelight, GMRS, aerial flares (walmart), etc.. the larger kit always includes the contents of the smaller kit that precedes it in size. It's easy to upgrade or downgrade what you carry if it's "modular" like this. ease of use and carry is paramount. If you don't carry it, it won't do you anygood.

the anecdote of a well prepared explorer that leaves his gear in the car to answer the call of nature only to return and find his car and survival gear engulfed in flames happens all to often (usually blamed on having parked in high grass).

I would recommend taking a red cross 1st aid class. that little bit of knowledge can save a life. I work as a Paramedic and 90 % of the "lifesaving" we do can be accomplished in what you can learn in a 1 day class.

outdoor stores or even walmart will have a kit you can start with- i prefer one in a bag, not a box. most of the entry level stuff is close to identical anyway.

-peace

NREMT-P, W-CEP, T-CEP, SARTECH, Instructor of same

In a nation of sheep, one brave man is a majority.

It's not the size of your first aid kit, it's how you use it ... in other words ... size doesn't matter? icon_smile.gif

Seriously, a few essentials usually are good enough. A box of rugged fabric band-aids, your choice of antiseptic, snakebite kit, first aid tape, gauze pads, an ace bandage, scissors, and an epi-pen if you're allergic to bee stings. No need to carry a whole EMT kit icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Mine is huge.

But I don't carry it while geocaching because I can cover 1/2 mile fast enough to get help for all but extremely unlikely scenarios, and most caches are within 1/4 mile of where the car is parked, and 50 feet from a well established trail.

I think you guys take yourselves and the woods a bit too seriously.

If you learn to improvise, you can use stuff you carry anyways (like a fanny pack, your underwear, sticks, leaves, ziplock baggies) to make bandages and such if the nearly impossible happens.

You could get hurt badly in the mall... so do you carry a full set of sutures and clamps and torniquette and all that when you go shopping?

I've spent half my life out in the woods. I've jogged in the woods for years, and never had an injury that I couldn't take care of.

What are you going to do that requires all that first aid gear? what are the odds? Have you ever taken any risk in your life?

Sheesh... just what I want to do... become an OSHA approved hiker!

If you cut youself... apply pressure.

If you break a bone... tighten up your laces and limp like a real man. People who can't get out of the woods without a first aid kit probably aren't going to make it even with one.

If I'm going on an overnight hike, then I will start thinking about bringing a first aid kit... but on a short day hike, what are you going to do... shoot yourself? Get hit by a car? Get run over by a deer?

Take a pocket knife, and you can cut up socks, underwear, and other stuff you already carry with you. Bandaids, splints, etc. can be improvised, and may be better than the prefab stuff that often isn't just right for the situation either.

Use the space you would have put the ER in to carry some water, if you live in a climate that makes water important (you could spend weeks lost in my area without worry of dehydration).

Or use it to cary extra happy meal toys or something. But you don't need 20 lbs of gear just to go two miles into the woods on a forest service road.

Paranoia is okay, but you can take it too far.

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on October 20, 2003 at 08:32 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

but on a short day hike, what are you going to do... shoot yourself? Get hit by a car? Get run over by a deer?

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on October 20, 2003 at 08:32 PM.]

Funny you should say that about a deer. Two weeks ago while out scouting a location I WAS ALMOST run over by a deer. I was decending a rather steep grade on my mountain bike at about 20 mph, when a deer jumped out in front of me. We just missed each other, he was so close that if I had not been so startled I could have reached out and grabbed his tail.

But in general I agree with your statements about carrying too much stuff. IF the collision had occurred my real med kit was in my car, only a mile away. If I had been bleeding, I'd have used my clothing to stem the loss of blood, till I could get back to get real treatment. The only thing that I always make sure I carry are my epi-pen (I am allergic to bees) and lots of water.

I'm not lost, I just don't know how to get out of here.

Nice rant, DUC, but we're not talking Adventure Racing here. I have to agree with most. A few basics, some good basic knowledge (which can be learned), and some common sense (which, unfortunately, can't be learned) will handle most things, both on and off the trail. No need to carry an emergency room for caching. My 10 year old son and I prefer searching for caches with 4 and 5 ratings, so we spend a decent amount of time out in the sticks, and I want to be prepared, but at the same time not go overboard.

I carry a small kit in a barrel-shaped nylon bag about 6" long by 3 1/2" diameter. In addition to bandages, gauze, ointments for cuts and bug stings, alcohol wipes, etc; it also includes an Ace bandage, butterfly closures (a good alternative to stitches in most cases), and an ice pack. Many other things, as already pointed out, can be improvised. I have also just recently renewed my CPR certification, and additionally carry an emergency blanket, rain poncho, light stick, matches, whistle, signal mirror, knife, small maglight, cable saw, toilet paper, and of course cell phone, water, and food (usually jerky and/or trail mix).

As far as most small kits being just "owie kits", perhaps that's true. But keep in mind many of us cache with children, and an "owie kit" is occasionally worth it's weight in gold while hiking with kids. Could they survive that cut on their arm till they get back to the car? Sure. Would the entire caching day be more enjoyable to all if you instead used the "owie kit" before continuing? You better believe it. A large part of first aid is comforting the victim and keeping them calm. Different approaches towards that end apply to different ages.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

Mark 42 - Thank you! I was just about to post the same thing after reading the aforementioned rant.

My trail kit is small. Bandaids, wipes and gauze. Simple stuff to keep the dirt out while I continue caching. For the other stuff, knowledge is the best first aid kit.

Yes, DUC996 I have taken a first aid class. I teach them. Something that I always stress is improvisation. How many people are seriously going to have 4 triangular bandages to treat a broken arm "by the book"?

Duct tape. It's all you'll ever need. icon_wink.gif

"You are cleared for geocaching."

Most of whats needed in a good (carry type)first aid kit is right between your ears. "First aid" is just that, being the first available person to provide aid. The rant near the top of this thread makes some decent points, but shame on him for insinuating that a minor injury shouldn't be treated in the field.

Get some training (it's mostly free or cheap from national organizations). The vast majority of field injuries can be treated and stabilized by a layman with very few supplies. Bandaids are perfectly acceptable items in your pack. Just because you're not bleeding like a stuck pig doesn't mean you should wait til you get home to wash and cover an owie. Cellulitis and infections can easily be fended off with a bandaid.

Something to bind a splint or sprain(triangle bandage, duct tape, ace wrap etc) and tylenol or ibuprofen for pain is all thats needed for suspected minor breaks and sprains. Sterile gauze and tape for large cuts and abrasions.

The "first aid kit" I was trained to carry and use as a corpsman was small, light, and had all of these things and not much more. If thats good enough for the Marines in combat....it should suffice for a weekend of caching.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

quote:
If you learn to improvise, you can use stuff you carry anyways (like a fanny pack, your underwear, sticks, leaves, ziplock baggies) to make bandages and such if the nearly impossible happens.

Now why would I want to rip up a perfectly good shirt when all I gotta do is take a couple bandaids with me? icon_wink.gif

Actually I have cut up shirt tails in the past to use as bandages when I cut myself pretty deep and needed something more than the bit of gauze I had. Still have that shirt too. Kind of a souvenier from that fishing trip.

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Okay folks, It has been a while since I have been able to weigh in on this forum. Work has me wrapped around the axles lately.

A standing joke (friendly kidding) among friends and associates is about my first aid kits. I never leave home without one and always have the essentials near my side.

We all see the first aid kits in store and on the web and they have a rather huge selection to choose from. You can purchase a small, wound management kit containing nothing more than bandages and OTC pain reliever to extensive medical kits to include SAM Splints and oral airway management devices. Bottom line is knowing what to purchase based on your needs and level of first aid/medical training.

The best first aid/medical kit in the world is worthless if you have no training in how to use it. There are many organizations out there offering a wide variety of training from basic first aid to wilderness first responder courses. I can only offer a friendly word of advise on this--If you venture into any backcountry environment--take a suitable course--it may be the best investment you could make. You will normally be instructed in these courses of the type and extent of a kit to build. I have built and customized the three kits I carry. Each of them is based on the environment and need for adequate supplies.

When I share the great outdoors with newcomers, I always access their medical capabilities in the event that I have a medical emergency. It is always comforting to know that someone else can take care of me in the event that I go down.

Many of the commercial first aid kits available on the open market are what I consider comfort packs in lieu of first aid kits. They contain moleskin, bandages, ointment, OTC medications, tape, sterile dressings and nitrile or latex gloves. These are great for minor cuts, scrapes, blisters and minor injuries. Many of these are not potential life threatening injuries. I doubt if any of these kits would be able to treat a significant laceration for example. These kits should not give you a false sence of security while in the great outdoors.

Do a little research and take the time to check out first aid/medical training opportunities in your area if you venture into the outdoors much. Having the knowledge, experience and adequate supplies to stabalize a victim could mean the world until emergency responders arrive.

"I cache; therefore I am"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I read somewhere that Crazy Glue is decent for emergency "stitching". I keep one in my 1st aid kit just in case, but never had the opportunity to try it out.

_

quote:

Yep superglue and duct tape, they're not just for gear repair. icon_wink.gif I've used superglue for moderatly big cuts, say on the order of a box cutter slashing a finger just about down to the bone. No problems here. If nothing else you can use the glue to secure other bandages in questionable conditions, so long as the glue will adhere. And duct tape? the possibilities are endless!!! icon_cool.gif

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...