What kind of Batteries?

Guest Quinnow

Guest Quinnow

I own a Garmin GPS III Plus and have contacted them several times to ask what setting to use for the following battery type...1600 mAH AA Size Rechargeable NiMH Batteries...but they have not returned my e-mail as of yet.

or if I can even use these at all for my unit. does anyone else know? you can also find these bats on the following link http://thomas-distributing.com/mh-4aa160.htm

My gps allows me to set the battery type, but I want to be sure that it is the right one...thanks!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-30-2001).]

Guest wjoos123

I'm using ACCUCELL's you can get them in all sizes, they have (for AA batteries) 1800mAh !!! and a low discharge current, and better performance in cold conditions. Accucells combine NiMH and Alkaline batteries. They are rechargeable (about 200 time)!!!

Guest Quinnow

The ones I was looking at says they can be recharged about 500 times, but what I am wondering is what the heck is NiMH? is that nick cads? also can they be used in the unit I mentioned and at what battery setting?

I would like to take a look at the ones you are using, is there a site that shows those?

quote:
Originally posted by wjoos123:

I'm using ACCUCELL's you can get them in all sizes, they have (for AA batteries) 1800mAh !!! and a low discharge current, and better performance in cold conditions. Accucells combine NiMH and Alkaline batteries. They are rechargeable (about 200 time)!!!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest peter

ages over NiCd - higher capacity and less concern with toxic waste when disposing of them. The only disadvantage is that they self-discharge a little faster when left unused. They'll work fine in your GPS and you should set the battery selector to NiCd if there is no NiMH setting. If you use a fast battery charger, make sure it is designed for NiMH.

Guest bacpac

I bought a set of Lithum AA's, but I have not installed them yet. They are much lighter and say they work five times longer than Alkalines in Digital Cameras and three times longer in cameras using flash.

No mention of GPS, but they are half as heavy as Alkalines. Two Lithiums weigh one ounce and two Alkalines weigh two ounces.

Anyone else used Lithiums?

Guest RyckZ

Tell us where you found the Lithium AA batteries, and their make. Also what is their rated output voltage?

If they are not close to 1.5 volts, or if your GPS can not adjust to the their voltage, the unit may not perform as well.

(Also see other message threads about better GPS performace with new batteries.)

Otherwise Lithium Ion batteries might be the best possible rechargable to use.

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by RyckZ:

Tell us where you found the Lithium AA batteries, and their make. Also what is their rated output voltage?

If they are not close to 1.5 volts, or if your GPS can not adjust to the their voltage, the unit may not perform as well.

(Also see other message threads about better GPS performace with new batteries.)

Otherwise Lithium Ion batteries might be the best possible rechargable to use.

here is the link to the site where I bought them... http://thomas-distributing.com/batteries.htm I bought the "1700 mah" bats

And thank you for your help!

I think for these bats I would use the "nicad" setting on my garmin III plus. I also have ordered the vista x2 so I could give one to my brother. hope these can be used in those as well.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Seamus

Around here, Radio Shack (Aaaauuugh!) has been selling AA-size Lithium cells for at least several years. They're Energizer brand (red band around the top, rather than black), not sure about actual voltage, since the price is about twice to three times that of a 2-pack of regular AA cells, and I could never bring myself to shell out that much cash for two lousy batteries.

As to the NiMH cells, I have used these (Energizer Accu Rechargeable) in digital cameras as well as my GPS unit (Garmin eMap), with good results in both.

Just my $0.02...

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest 300mag

Check out this site they have all sorts of batteries and can even make batterie packs.

www.mahaenergy.com You get 4 nihm bats plus 3hour charging unit for something like 40 bucks.This seems to be a good deal for me.I paid like 20 bucks (Canada) for one set(2bats) without any charger at radio shack.

Guest bacpac

quote:
Originally posted by RyckZ:

I bought my batteries at Wal-Mart. They had them locked behind the counter, because kids were taking them apart to get high on the lithium. Go figure. Anyway they are 1.5 volts made by Energizer. There is a guarantee on the package that says "We will repair or replace (at our option) any electronic device damaged by these lithium batteries...."

Guaranteed by the bunnie!

Guest RyckZ

Thanks all for the info on Lithium batters.

I was however mistaken that an earier message about Lithium batteries was talking about RECHARGABLE Lithium Ion batteries, not disposable Lithium batteries.

From the little searching I have done so far, I have not found any Lithium ION rechargables in an AA configuration, since a single cell seems to be 3 volts rather than 1.5 or thereabouts.

Guest bacpac

These batteries will not harm your GPS unit.

I am certain of this, but less certain of how the GPS will display the battery capacity of a fully charged set of NiMH batteries.

Let us know.

[This message has been edited by bacpac (edited 04-02-2001).]

Guest bsyris

I have a question I haven't been able to answer recently...

How much energy is stored in a standard pair of AA size alkaline batteries? They never seem to be rated in mAh like all the rechargables.

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by bsyris:

I have a question I haven't been able to answer recently...

How much energy is stored in a standard pair of AA size alkaline batteries? They never seem to be rated in mAh like all the rechargables.

Well the guy I talked to where I bout my MAH 1700's said that they last 6 times longer than new alkaline batteries before needing to be recharged. and I can also get about 700 charges on them as well. There was a chart from the company that also showed the same thing about battery life of MAH's v Alkaline. My prob is that I want to be sure that I can use them as well as what I can expect from the life indicator on my garmins.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by bsyris:

Go to any of the manufacturer websites and you can look up the mA-hr ratings. For example, an Energizer alkaline AA cell is rated at 2850 mA-hr.

But these ratings need to be qualified a bit. They are measured using a very low current draw (I believe 20 mA) over a long time. This is a good match with the characteristics of alkaline cells that have relatively high internal resistance. When used with higher current drains, alkaline cells are not able to produce their full rated mA-hr output. Digital cameras are typically quite high current devices and a 1700 mA-hr NiMH cell will actually last much longer than the nominally 2850 mA-hr alkaline cell for this application. Most GPS receivers are lower current, but still much higher than 20 mA and my experience is that in this application the effective capacity of alkalines is about 2000 mA-hr; i.e. a bit better than NiMH, but not by a big margin.

So Quinn should go ahead and use the 1700 mA-hr NiMH cells in his GPS, but shouldn't expect them to last longer per charge than fresh alkalines. (I bet the manufacturer's chart he saw specified a high current application, like a digital camera.) The NiMHs are still very economical given the number of recharges.

Guest Quinnow

Answer from Garmin about the battery setting...

Thank you for contacting GARMIN.

You can leave the unit in the alkaline mode since we do not have a mode for the NiMH batteries. You may notice that the battery indicator will read less than what you actual level is due to the fact that we do not have an NiMH mode. If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Best Regards,

Ben Hunter

Customer Service Representative

Garmin International

1-800-800-1020

1-913-397-0836(Fax)

http://www.garmin.com

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest peter

The battery-type setting in your GPS has no effect on the actual operation of the unit - it only affects the battery meter, so the Garmin response is correct that you can leave it on the alkaline setting (or any other setting). However, the voltage vs. remaining capacity curve of NiMH is much more similar to NiCd than to alkaline and therefore the NiCd setting will give you a more accurate indication of remaining battery life from the battery meter.

Guest 300mag

Hello Quinnow

I was just wondering where you got those batteries.They have lot's of mha.They seem to be better that what i have seen so far.This would be great in my gps and scanner and other batt... operated toys.

Thanks Dan

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

Hello Quinnow

I was just wondering where you got those batteries.They have lot's of mha.They seem to be better that what i have seen so far.This would be great in my gps and scanner and other batt... operated toys.

Thanks Dan

I got them here... http://thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c204f.htm I bought 8 of them and a charger that has both cig/ and home outlet for around 55.00

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest 300mag

Thanks a lot Quinn. I'll check these out.The best i have right now are nihm's in 1300mill amps. icon_redface.gif I just remembered this store in Ottawa they sell only batteries and have good prices. I called and they have nihm batteries but only up to 1300mah.The guy also told me they have another model AA industrial in 1500mah but these don't have the positive end tip (they are flat at both ends) that could be a problem to charge.They are $5.36 each canadian.So the search continues icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-06-2001).]

Guest 300mag

Thanks a lot Quinn. I'll check these out.The best i have right now are nihm's in 1300mill amps. icon_redface.gif I just remembered this store in Ottawa they sell only batteries and have good prices. I called and they have nihm batteries but only up to 1300mah.The guy also told me they have another model AA industrial in 1500mah but these don't have the positive end tip (they are flat at both ends) that could be a problem to charge.They are $5.36 each canadian.So the search continues icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-06-2001).]

Guest Exocet

All,

I just spoke to a friend of mine about the non-rechargable Lithium batteries that Energizer manufactures.

He's specifically tested the AA's and said that they do last about 3x longer than normal Alkalines but that they are far more than 3x more expensive.

He did note that they tend to give a more consistent voltage along with being much lighter than alkalines.

Personally, I'd buy the Lithium AA's if they ran $5 for a set of two as opposed to the $7.50 I've seen in retail stores.

Guest dave f

There are also now rechargeable alkaline batteries, and they're widely available - I bought a set of C cells at Walmart for USD 6 and change.

They're made with thicker case materials to withstand recharging (DO NOT try to recharge regular alkaline cells - they WILL explode - I've done it). The advantage they offer is that while rechargeable (at least 100 times, according to the labelling) and therefore reusable, they have exactly the same voltage and discharge characteristics as regular alkalines.

Guest gnbrotz

I am getting ready to buy a few sets of rechargeable batteries with a charger. After reading through the applicable threads I have one basic question before making my decision: Which factor is more important? The longer life of the NiMH batteries or the fact that rechargeable alkalines will not discharge as quickly when not being used?

I always carry a spare set of batteries with me, but I am afraid if I go for a set of NiMH, they will have discharged while sitting in my bag waiting to be used. Other than this concern, I think I have found some great products at the Thomas Distributing website mentioned earlier in this thread.

Your input IS appreciated.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest c_oflynn

I've got Renewel batteries (rechargable alkilines) in my Mag 315. I just got the GPS, so i can't say too much! However, DO NOT leave the batteries discharged! If you drain the batteries completly they will be permently damaged! The rechargable alkilines don't last as long as normal alkilines, but they don't cost too much which is good! Renewel guarentees says they will repair or replace anything damaged by there rechargable alkaline batteries. On the website www.rayovac.com they claim there batteries hold the charge for 5 years when not in use! Just some things to consider!

Colin

Guest Quinnow

Ok...I am using the 1700mah ninh 1.2 volt rechargable batteries which I got at thomas distributing along with a charger.

I use them in my gpsIIIPlus as well as my map76. Don't get me wrong, they do not last as long as they would in a fast draw unit like a digital camera with flash, but I can put a set in my gps and leave it alone for a week and then turn it on for several hours. Not to mention the charger also comes with a car plug so you can charge them in the auto in between hunts. They are by far in my opinion the best thing going for the price and what you save. Mind you as well that they do not last as long as alks, but not too far behind them either.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest erik88L-R

This is sorta low tech, and a "quantity vs. quality" solution, but I just picked up a 24 pack of Sanyo alkaline AA batteries at my neigborhood Wolf Camera store for $6.99. I selected a digital camera (Olympus) that uses AA's just so one size would fit both that and the GPS. Hopefully 24 batteries will last me awhile.......

Guest cleenjeep

I also use the accu-rechargeables, i got them on sale at a local store. I bought a bunch, he he he. they were 20% off. Probably on accident, but that sort of thing happens there. The charger was expensive, but that's the brakes. I love the batteries so far, they have served me well in numerous devices, i keep them in my little flashlights and tape recorders when they arent in the GPS.

Here is anther cool link, check this out! You can get a solar recharger for less than a regular charger! http://thomas-distributing.com/icpg-04031-solarbatterycharger.htm

That thomas dist. is one cool site..

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest Exaibachey

ooked at one of those at an REI store, it was $15.00. I really liked it, but had no idea how well it really worked. Guess I am off to REI tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

------------------

I used to think the world was flat. Now I know it's just crooked.

Guest Exaibachey

ooked at one of those at an REI store, it was $15.00. I really liked it, but had no idea how well it really worked. Guess I am off to REI tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

------------------

I used to think the world was flat. Now I know it's just crooked.

Guest Terraranger

I tried the solar charger from Thomas - it's a cheap piece of junk.

There is a good discussion of batteries for GPS on Joe & Jack's GPS site at http://joe.mehaffey.com/battry2.htm BTW - this is a great site for GPS information.

My Lowrance GlobalMap 100 uses batteries very fast, but I still like it.

[This message has been edited by Terraranger (edited 01 July 2001).]

I finally depleted my 2nd set of lithium batteries on my Garmin V. These lasted for 33 hours, and typical of lithiums, they stayed strong right up until the end. The last set also lasted over 30 hours. At roughly 10 bucks for a set of 4 at Walmart, I'm getting 3 hrs of battery-powered operation for $1.00 - pretty cheap fun, in my opinion. And that's not counting the time spent driving, when the GPSr is running on external power.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by erik88L-R:

This is sorta low tech, and a "quantity vs. quality" solution, but I just picked up a 24 pack of Sanyo alkaline AA batteries at my neigborhood Wolf Camera store for $6.99. I selected a digital camera (Olympus) that uses AA's just so one size would fit both that and the GPS. Hopefully 24 batteries will last me awhile.......

This thread is over a year old. But, I guess it's time to talk about batteries again. icon_biggrin.gif

Have an Olympus camera and I do the same thing. I'll use AA's in my Olympus (I still have the CR-V3s that came with the camera here somewhere, unopened) until the camera doesn't want to work anymore. The camera has a cut off that will keep it from working on batteries that are too low. So stupid people, like me, don't get all their pictures erased, caused by a bad write, because of low batteries. Then I put them in my MeriGreen. The GPS can run off the "run down" batteries with no problems. icon_cool.gif

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by erik88L-R:

This thread is over a year old. But, I guess it's time to talk about batteries again. icon_biggrin.gif

Have an Olympus camera and I do the same thing. I'll use AA's in my Olympus (I still have the CR-V3s that came with the camera here somewhere, unopened) until the camera doesn't want to work anymore. The camera has a cut off that will keep it from working on batteries that are too low. So stupid people, like me, don't get all their pictures erased, caused by a bad write, because of low batteries. Then I put them in my MeriGreen. The GPS can run off the "run down" batteries with no problems. icon_cool.gif

- Lone Rangers

I've been using the Energizer Lithiums in my unit for some time. Yes they are more expensive but the life is much longer, up to 5 times in my own tests. After a full day of geocaching the meter will appear low. Shut the unit off for a few hours and they seem to recover. 3 times the cost for 5 times the life equals a bargain.

I thought I would save some money, so I purchased a Niclel-Metal Hydride Battery charger and Batteries (1600mAh and 1500mAh four of each) Using these batteries in my Garmin Vista, I can’t get four hours use. I have switched to Energizer E2 Titanium Technology Alkaline. So far these have a greater live than others I have used. But I will give the Accucell 1800 mah a try. Thanks for the input.

hobby1.gif

DHobby1, on to the next!

quote:
Originally posted by bacpac:

These batteries will not harm your GPS unit.

I have 4 sets of NiMH batteries for my GPS. I also have 2 chargers an 2 sets of batteries for my digital camera. This way I always have a charged set.

quote:

I am certain of this, but less certain of how the GPS will display the battery capacity of a fully charged set of NiMH batteries.

Let us know.

(NiMH)

2 X 1.2V = 2.4 V

and

(Alkaline)

2 X 1.5V = 3.0 V

So a fully charged set of NiMH batteries do not show as fully charged on a 3.0 V scale.

BTW... Garmin users can see exact voltage reading in the diagnostic screen. You can enter this screen by holding down the click button while turning on the unit.

[This message was edited by st_richardson on April 16, 2002 at 05:19 AM.]

check your math st_richardson 2 1.2V batts will give you 2.4V not 2.8V

That said I have a Garmin 3+ and use Nimh 1600 and 1550 mha batts. If I set it to NiCd I get a low bat warning way too soon (like a 1/4 of the life remaining) - sometimes somehow I get into a loop where I clear that message and it keeps poping back up again. If I use the alkline setting I get better results - fresh out of the charger will give me a full bar and usually reset the battery timer automatically. This quickly drops to 1/2 and stays there very long. Then starts dropping lower - when I get the low batt I get about 10-15 minutes run time. I normally get about 12-14hrs w/ Nimh and 19-20 with batt saving function on.

Also the setting (alk - NiCd - Lithium will only effect the power level display - it's safe to use one type of battery and tell the gps it's another.

NiMH batteries are GREAT on rechargability; no "memory loss"; fast chargers available that won't overcharge them. After charging, store in your freezer to keep them from "leaking power" and they will be ready to go when you are. The more mA Hours they list the longer they will last (was that incredibly obvious to everyone?). But when they are ready to die, they go fast; none of that slowly down the tubes stuff. For my money they are the best option around for our GPS as well as our digital camera.

moosiegirl (Candy)

I have used 1700mah nickel metal hydroxide batteries for over a year with NO problem. Although rechargable batteries will show less on the battery life meter opposed to alkalines, the function is the same. I have several sets, I charge them the night before a cache hunt and usually I wear out before I run out of batteries!

One of the biggest reasons to use rechargables, savings over time, and less waste from used batteries. You can get these batteries at any Wal-mart or Frys Electronics for less than $15.00 for four batteries and a charger. I will keep an eye out for rechargeable lithium batteries, they are looking very promising icon_biggrin.gif

Just my .02 icon_cool.gif

I have used 1700mah nickel metal hydroxide batteries for over a year with NO problem. Although rechargable batteries will show less on the battery life meter opposed to alkalines, the function is the same. I have several sets, I charge them the night before a cache hunt and usually I wear out before I run out of batteries!

One of the biggest reasons to use rechargables, savings over time, and less waste from used batteries. You can get these batteries at any Wal-mart or Frys Electronics for less than $15.00 for four batteries and a charger. I will keep an eye out for rechargeable lithium batteries, they are looking very promising icon_biggrin.gif

Just my .02 icon_cool.gif

Just to chime in with my 8 cents worth (2 cents per battery),

I have been using Kodak NiMH AA (1700mAh according to their web site) for a year now in both the GPS and my digital camera and they work great. Reading the posts today I finally realize why my battery meter on my eTrex never shows completely full, but they last well nonetheless. I have three sets of four batteries to share between the camera and GPS and simply recharging them whenever a set is empty or even two at a time always leaves me with enough power for both devices. I have never noticed or been too concerned with the batteries loosing power when left unused and it never seems to have been a problem. Having the flexibility of using the same batteries for both is priceless (as they say).

Kodak often has pretty good deals on batteries and chargers on their web site. You can get a home charger (not for the car though) with four AA NiMH for $19.95 right now.