Fact Sheet For Micros

jonboy

HERE is the sheet I use for the lids of the 7.62 ammobox. You can roll it up to fit a smaller container if it's 2.75" tall are so.

We also use this on containers that don't have an info sheet. If the container is clear, we put it facing out on the inside on the container so it can be read without opening it.

Hope this helps!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

Can anyone suggest a more durable paper than regular printer paper for a micro log sheet?

My micro "Staked Out" is smaller than a film can. Several finders have suggested that the sheet may not hold up to repeated folding.

There are a few options for you: National Geographic Adventure Paper. This stuff is the most expensive, but has two things going for it.

1) You can print on it with your inkjet printer, and it will still be waterproof!

2) It's virtually indestructible.

Other options are:

- Bulk Rite in Rain paper (we use the tactical green). No inkjets, laser printer or copier only.

- HP Tough Paper (water proof, tear proof). Same restrictions as Rite in Rain paper.

If you want color, waterproof log sheets, and you don't have a color laser printer, the adventure paper is the way to go.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

I've used regular printed sheets laminated with clear packing tape and it lasted well for 15 mos in an amber medication vial.

You can't really fold a laminated sheet, and you can't really write on them if it's for a log book.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Marky,

Your right about the folding..that's why I made my sheet as wide as the vial was high..this way you could read the cache note through the vial too. Mine was a stage in a multicache..didn't need a log in there and wasn't thinking of that with this question...your right though of course icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

There are a few options for you: National Geographic Adventure Paper. This stuff is the most expensive, but has two things going for it.

1) You can print on it with your inkjet printer, and it will still be waterproof!

2) It's virtually indestructible.

I don't know if this is the same stuff, but it seems to have the same properties and at $0.62/sheet it's a little cheaper than the National Geographic stuff (which REI sells for $0.80/sheet.) Of course, that's only useful if you need 100 sheets of the stuff, but you could probably arrange a bulk buy with other area cachers.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought anything from these folks. I don't know how good their products or customer service are. I just know that they seem to sell lots of very interesting papers. (Mostly at slightly less than interesting prices. Check out the printable aluminum at $7.20/sheet.)

warm.gif

For micros, this is what I do, and it works great. I've made a table in Word, which has about 8 "cells" of a condensed "fact card." I print it, cut them out and then use clear packing tape. I use a piece long enough to go all the way across the front, and then overlap on the back, so it's totally sealed. The width of the fact card is small enough so that it fits within the width of the tape, making it "sealed."

When I'm all done I ROLL them up and put a rubber band around them. Presto. It even works out that the top part is the top that reads: GEOCACHE SITE... which is perfect because then geocachers know what it is - and only a geomuggle would have a question. I don't bother with the whole sheet - I only use that for bigger caches.

FWIW, here's the info I use on the smaller card. It's basically just a short, sweet and to the point in case the cache is stumbled upon or left poorly hidden:

GEOCACHE SITE - PLEASE READ

Congratulations, you've found it! Intentionally or not! What is this container sitting here for? It's part of a worldwide game dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System) users, called Geocaching. IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT: Great! You are welcome to join us! We ask only that you: Please do not remove or vandalize the container. If you wish, please take something. But please also leave something nice for others to find, and write it in the logbook. If possible, let us know that you've found it by visiting the website belw: www.geocaching.com

That's it, short sweet and to the point. It contains just enough info to let someone know it's an ongoing game which I feel is important. It gives the website. And it invites the person to join, hopefully creating a sense of involvement and "mystery." I think the "invitation" is one of the most important parts, along with a request to not remove/vandalize the container. Hey, it gives a person a chance to do something "good," ya know? It's not like it should create the same dilemma as a wallet stuffed with cold hard cash. icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone wants any of these sheets to print/cut/tape/roll up, just drop me a note. I'll send it to you so you just need to print it out.

It's the poor man's alternative to laminates or fancy paper - but it gets the job done sweet for micros. For the actual log it's different. That can be victim to the elements, which is where good log-sheet paper might be worthwhile. We just try to use good containers and hope that cachers take care of the plain old paper. Every now and then you can swap out the log sheet, if you want, but that's only if you want to keep the written logs. Marky gets the good paper, and he absolutely makes the best "micro logs" I've seen - well, to be fair, I believe Joani works the magic on a good deal of them. icon_wink.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by GRANDMASTER CACHE:

Marky gets the good paper, and he absolutely makes the best "micro logs" I've seen - well, to be fair, I believe Joani works the magic on a good deal of them. icon_wink.gif

That is absolutely correct. icon_wink.gif All of the cool log books and log sheets in our caches are 100% Joani's work. She even bought a laser printer because she didn't like to have to run down to Office Depot to print up log sheets. You should see our computer room. It's like a battle zone. Cache containers, ammo boxes, 100s of film canisters in various states of completion. Log books in various stages of construction. Test projects. Just watch your step when you enter the room...

--Marky