Negative Log Entries - Entitled to delete?

Sigh.

I left a log entry on a cache page that was... not so complementary. See, I had a pretty poor overall opinion of part of the cache location, and other problems with the finding the cache.

So, I left a "did not find" note, and explained, in detail, why I didn't like the cache. I even admitted that some of the problems were uncontrolable, and even my fault.

Well, the owner deleted my log and told me to "find another hobby."

I think that's weak. I was honest about my trip to find the cache, and I wasn't abusive, or vulgar... but apparently the cache owner couldn't handle my unique log entry. I'm the first to admit that my sarcasm might go too far at times... but I don't think its right to delete someones log because they didn't like your cache.

My log entry went something like this:

Tried to find this cache today after returning from a wedding on Long Island. This was just about the worst caching experience I've ever had.

I think the first part of this multi-cache needs to be reconsidered. First, the cache is located next to a what seems to be a pretty dangerous rotary. I don't know who designs the rotarys in Connecticutt, but dadgum. Second, the cache hiding spot is a cobweb filled, squirrel guarded, muck hole which I was none too happy to stick my hand into. Third, it is impossible not to be seen removing or re-hiding this cache. It is VERY visble from the road, and the traffic was a bear. I'm just glad to be alive.

Eventually we went to find the second part of the cache. There were numerous road construction detours along the way to the second cache, but this probably can't be helped. However, when we arrived at the second cache parking area, we had a choice between a somewhat overgrown path near a Private Property or Private Drive sign, and a more well used path, on the opposite side of the river. Well, we chose the latter and ended up on the wrong side of the river with no way to cross.

I had enough of this cache by this time, and decided to call it a day. Untimately, we did not find the cache, and I will not be back. To Conneticut. Ever.*

Maybe a little overboard, but is it delete worthy? Would you delete a log like this if someone left it on your cache? If it was an honest opinion, I would like to think I would let each log stand.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

* The log entry is not verbatim... but it was deleted and I can't remember my rant word for word.

I'm not willing to make a call based on one side of the story. Some people have thicker skin than others. Personally, I won't delete a log unless it directly attacks someone and that has not happened to any of my caches. If they don't like my cache, that's OK, it's just their opinion. I will delete a log that does not have an entry in the cache log book, though.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk.

A little overboard, sure. But I'm curious if there were other negative logs that also were deleted. It doesn't sound like the most pleasant of cache hunts from your log. If the cache owner wants all smiley faces on his cache page and can't take criticism, maybe he should find another sport.

I wouldn't delete a log unless it was vulgar and the author refused to change it, or it was an obvious fake.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by RainDog:

I will delete a log that does not have an entry in the cache log book, though.

I agree my story is one-sided (obviously), but I tried to sum up my log entry as best I could. That's all I can do.

As far as deleting a log that does not have an entry in the cache log book... um... I gave up before I found the cache, so I'm not sure how that applies.

Certainly you don't mean you delete all "did not finds"??

Pan

hmm...It's hard to make a good judgement without seeing the cache for myself, but it is a good thing you let the owner know how you feel. Maybe you went a bit overboard, but I don't think the owner should respond with "find another hobby."

jhwf4

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

A little overboard, sure. But I'm curious if there were other negative logs that also were deleted. It doesn't sound like the most pleasant of cache hunts from your log. If the cache owner wants all smiley faces on his cache page and can't take criticism, maybe _he_ should find another sport.

I wouldn't delete a log unless it was vulgar and the author refused to change it, or it was an obvious fake.

In all fairness, I need to state that I think that mine was the onlyr negative logs. Other people seemed to enjoy it. (There was some indication that it moved recently... so I don't know if every, or no one before me visited this location.) In my opinion, it was a bad location, and potentially dangerous.

So, it wasn't a pleasent hunt. FOR ME. I'm not suggesting that no one else ever visit the cache, I just wanted to communicate what my visit was like.

Pan

Probably not the best owrds spoken, but we all do that. I'm guilty of the same thing. As one stated above, some have thicker skin than others. I agree that I wouldn't of deleted that post as it wasn't vulgar and shouldn't of been offensive. Brian was right, perhaps they need to find another sport.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Sounds like a better approach would have been to request that the cache be archived given its potential traffic danger.

I'm not going to rush to suggest a cache be archived because *I* didn't have a good experience. Neither, however, do I think its out of line to convey my experience to other cachers.

Pan

Well, I guess I should look on the bright side...

Some people, even if they don't find the cache, refuse to log a "did not find" frowny face. They log notes, or smiley faces, saying they SHOULD have found it.

Well, in this case, the cache owner is absolutely refusing to let me log a frowny "did not find" face.

Bully for my log page, one less frowny face.

Pan

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Copy the log entry into Word and save it as something. Everytime they delete your log, copy and paste it back. See who gives up first. icon_biggrin.gif

That is cruel Criminal. Cruel.

I've already begun to reform my response.

Nah. Seriously, I considered doing that, but I didn't want to start a war. I just want my log back.

Is that so wrong?

Pan

I think this is a perfectly acceptable log.

As a cache hunter, I find this type of log helpfull in helping me plan my course of action. There is no reason to sugarcoat your log in the event that you had a sh*ty time.

KYPoliceStudent

~KG4ZEP

[This message was edited by KYPoliceStudent on July 14, 2003 at 02:15 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Maxine&Me:

I would tend to be a little lenient on the public page, but wouldn't hesitate to email the owner privately with my concerns.

I was thinking the same. You might send all the gory details to the owner, then post a less dramatic version for the public. I, personally, would like to know that a cache requires a less than pleasant journey.

Clint

Hmmm... with the sentiment that perhaps I didn't go too far overboard with my cache log (if I am remembering it correctly), maybe I shouldn't have shot off that even more sarcastic response to his email...

In all honesty, if he hadn't of emailed me, I might not have noticed that my log was deleted.

The owner wrote to me:

"For your information, drivers in [the town in which the cache is located] care about pedestrians and it's extremely rare for there to be any pedestrian injuries, especially at this location outside the library.

If you look through the logs, you will see that cache has received multiple comments. [The park in which the cache is located] is a well-loved location.

Perhaps you should think about a different hobby?

Sigh.

Pan

This was my reponse to that email, by the by:

> For your information, drivers in __________

> care about pedestrians and it's extremely

> rare for there to be any pedestrian injuries,

> especially at this location outside the

> library.

Yeah, it must be all those towns that couldn't care less about their pedestrians where all the accident's occur. Are you implying that all other towns in the country care less about their pedestrians than __________? No WONDER there are pedestrian accidents! You've solved the problem! We just need people to CARE about their pedestrians!

Seriously, my point was that the location of the cache, from where one needs to park, includes a seemingly dangerous street crossing, even for adults. But hey, if you have researched the traffic studies in that area regarding pedestrian injuries, who am I to argue...

> If you look through the logs, you will see

> that cache has received multiple comments.

> [This Park] is a well-loved location.

I don't doubt the park is well loved location, but your first part of the cache was across the street from the main section of the park, you know, that section of the park where you get out of your car, and do not need to cross a major thoroughfare to play in the grass.

I'm glad other people liked the cache. I, however, did not. Am I not entitled to an opinion, even if it is contrary to everyone elses?

> Perhaps you should think about a different

> hobby?

Perhaps you should think about a better though out out hiding place for the first leg of the cache.

A different hobby? Why, because I didn't like you cache? Maybe you're right, anyone who disagrees with anyone else's cache should go find another hobby. That'd be fun.

Maybe you shouldn't take things so personally. I had a bad experience with your cache. That doesn't mean anyone else ever will. I think everyone but you recognizes that.

It was unnecessary to delete my log. Bad form.

Pan

Pan

This is the cache in question:

Zulu 2

This is the log in question:

This cache has been one of the worst caching experiences I've had, to date.

First, the first section of the cache is placed near one of the worst intersections I've ever seen. I'm not sure who designed that rotary, but dadgum. How many accidents are there a year there? Second, you have to cross the street near this amazingly dangerous rotary to get to the first container. THIRD, the hiding spot is in plain site of the road, and there is NO WAY you're not going to be seen taking out the container, or putting it back. Traffic was a bear. I was just glad to be alive.

Next, the container is hidden in a most disgusting, cobweb infested, squirrel guarded muck hole that it was NOT my pleasure to reach into. I think the first section of this cache needs to be rehidden in a more cacher-friendly place.

Regardless, Wile E and I found this first leg and moved on to the next. There were major construction detours on the way from the first part to the second, but that can't really be helped. However, when we arrived at the second site, we had the choice of trails to take. Either A, the more overgrown hidden trail near the Private Property/Private Road sign, or the more well defined path on the other side of the stream. We chose the latter and ended up on the wrong side of the river without a way to cross.

That was it for me, I didn't want any further misadventures along this cache.

So, we didn't find it. Nor do I intend to return. To Connexticutt. Ever.

Pan

++++++++

It's worth noting that BassoonPilot did this cache in a tuxedo

quote:

It's worth noting that BassoonPilot did this cache in a tuxedo

Wow. Thanks for reprinting my original log. I don't know how to do that. But I'd like to learn.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it is worth noting that BassoonPilot did this cache in a tuxedo? Does that impact in some manner your opinion on whether or not I am entitled to log my experience on the page?

Thanks,

Pan

quote:
Out of curiosity, why do you think it is worth noting that BassoonPilot did this cache in a tuxedo? Does that impact in some manner your opinion on whether or not I am entitled to log my experience on the page?

No, you are entitled to your opinion and to air your grievances in this public forum. The cache owner has the right to delete your log, regardless of any consensus in this forum. The logs will speak for themselves and folks can form their own opinions. As for BassoonPilot, I just admire the fact that he found the cache with some panache.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Sounds like a better approach would have been to request that the cache be archived given its potential traffic danger.

I'm not going to rush to suggest a cache be archived because *I* didn't have a good experience. Neither, however, do I think its out of line to convey my experience to other cachers.

My point was that if the traffic was bad enough to bug an adult, then it was probably too much for a child or an adult trying to cache and keep the kids out of traffic.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

I would have deleted your log and the ones above it and below it too for good measure! icon_smile.gif

Just kidding. However did it occur to you that the log may have been deleted because it contains too many spoilers? That might be something to consider.

Having said all that, I think posting spoilers is grounds for deletion, any other reason is weak, as you said.

One other thing to keep in mind here, you chose the wrong path to the cache. You can't blame the hider for ending up on the wrong side of the water icon_smile.gif

quote:

Just kidding. However did it occur to you that the log may have been deleted because it contains too many spoilers? That might be something to consider.

I did consider this, but then I thought, you know what, if he thought there were too many spoiler, he should have (a) permenantly encrypted the log, or (:P asked me to remove the more obvious spoilers, but allow me to retain the rant.

quote:

One other thing to keep in mind here, you chose the wrong path to the cache. You can't blame the hider for ending up on the wrong side of the water icon_smile.gif

I do recognize this, and I think (or at least I hope) I've said as much in my responses. If not, let me make it clear, I know that its no one's fault but my own that I ended up on the wrong side of the river. It was still, however, the straw that broke the camel's back.

(I'm the camel in this analogy)

Pan

Just my 2 cents...but checked cache page and others seemed to enjoy it...altho 1 other person mentioned the road construction but that is not the placers fault. The post did not seem to be too far out of line but perhaps he could have given you the chance to edit it before he deleted (and hopefully you may have done so after reflecting on it). The biggest problem I see is that I thought food items were generally a no no and that cache is stocked like a minimart...

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

I think it is terrible that your log was deleted. If he felt that it included spoilers, then he should have contacted you and asked you to revise it. I suppose it is a good idea to keep your online post comments constructive, but I didn't really see anything wrong with your log. If I were the cache owner, I probably would have emailed you after receiving that log to say it was unfortunate that you had such a bad experience going after one of my caches.

I did a cache one time with my mom who was fairly new to the sport at the time. We were surprised to find the cache sitting out in the open, not far off a path - no real attempt to hide it. We were even more surprised to see that the cache owner was the last one there to check up on their cache. My mom made a comment in her online log that she was disappointed in the cache. I don't remember exactly what she said, but it certainly wasn't vulgar - just expressing her disappointment. The owner deleted her log, therefore she didn't get credit for that find. He didn't bother to email her to say that he had done that either. Talk about weak!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you look through the logs for this cache, you will see over a couple of years the logs have all been complimentary.

This "Cacher" left a long carping note about the location of the first part, the location of the second part (a popular Greenwich Park), Connecticut in general etc. He complained about the drivers, the park, having to put his hand into a "Squirrel hole full of cobwebs" etc.

I didn't delete his log because it was negative about the cache. I deleted his log because I thought it was in poor taste and painted cachers in a poor light. I agree with him - his sarcasm does go too far at times - save it for a non-public place.

In a couple of years of cacheing, I have never had to delete any cachers log, on the other hand I have never seen such a miserable, unhappy example. I hope I never have to again.

Perhaps Pantalaimon would like everyone to see his cache here on the thread along with the rest of the logs for this site?

Having had the opportunity to reread the thread, I want to make a few points:-

1. I have never deleted a cache before

2. I have climbed up mountains, forded rivers, got scratched, bitten, ran five miles through the snow in a wood outside Oslo in the dark - it's all part of the fun of cacheing. If you can't put your hand in a mucky hole - you really should consider another sport.

3. Cache placers invest time and money in the sport, placing caches to provide others with pleasurable experiences. Zulu2 is a well designed cache, I invested in a large ammunition tin, put an official Geocache sticker on it etc. Everyone else has been very complimentary. I have hidden caches in three countries and three continents. I have paid my dues. At the very least, the cache hider deserves respect.

My advice to him - keep your comments in good taste and don't take out your frustrations at being unable to find a cache on the hider, missing a few adds to the thrill.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Just kidding. However did it occur to you that the log may have been deleted because it contains too many spoilers? That might be something to consider.)

That was my immediate thought as well. I might have deleted or encrypted the post if someone had given such details on the hiding place.

I can't say I agree with owner's decision to delete your log but I believe it was his right to do so.

I for one cetainly like having the option desipte the fact it can be abused.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by RadManZulu:

My advice to him - keep your comments in good taste and don't take out your frustrations at being unable to find a cache on the hider, missing a few adds to the thrill.

Good advice. While "Do Not Find" notes can be useful and you can pass along good information to other would-be finders I think your note went beyond that and actually discouraged others from seeking it out.

It's possible to offer suggestions and advice without being insulting.

I can certainly see where the cache owner would be offended by your the tone of your post.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I wouldn't have deleted the log if I were the cache owner. You have to take the good with the bad. Who cares what one person thinks of your cache? Let him describe his experience as he sees fit. Just my opinion.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have posted such a negative comment if I were the cache seeker. I would have described my experience in a more tasteful fashion, but that's just me. I did notice, however, that the cache's log is filled with so many people who found it without a problem and enjoyed it, it makes you look like a fool that you had so many problems. Do you have a squirrel phobia? I know the rotary you're talking about. It's not like this is a high speed section of road. You make it sound like it's the middle of a highway. You ended up on the wrong side of the river - so what? Go around and try the other side. It's all part of the game. Again, just my opinion.

In any case, this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Owner owns the cache...owner makes the laws regarding said cache logs (he must have followed geocaching.com's guidelines or the cache wouldn't have been approved.) Don't get me wrong, it doesn't matter if I think he was right or wrong deleting your log...just saying it's within his rights to do so under the present "rules"!

This same situation happened to me last week. I gave up on a cache hunt because I was tired of searching through feces (dog AND human) whilst homeless people were 10 feet away with their pants down!

I posted a DNF and described the current foul state of the area. It certainly wasn't a positive log, the first of its kind for me, but it didn't "attack" the hider and it didn't stop others from seeking the cache as there was a find by a more diehard cacher the next day. (although that person also noted the filthy condition of the area).

The hider (a newbie with 1 hide) deleted my DNF so I posted another stronger DNF saying that my log shouldn't have been deleted, etc.

Long story short, the hider didn't realize it wasn't cool to delete logs. We came to a compromise and I put back my original DNF but toned it down a little. Now everything is ok.

And now for my point...comunication is key!

Happy Halloween

I don't believe the log should have been deleted, but having said that I am going to quote myself from a post I made to a similar thread over a year ago (I'm too lazy right now to draft an original diatribe):

"People who play this game do take “pride” in preparing and placing their caches. The record of their cache, being the cache log, sort of becomes their “pride and joy”. The posted logs are publicly broadcast. When leaving a critical log you are taking a very significant risk that you will be: 1) hurting a person’s pride; 2) Defiling his/her pride and joy; 3) doing this all publicly, and thus shooting an arrow through his/her ego. I presume that with a lot of thought and a lot of tact, you could post a criticism without causing any damage, but I doubt it.

Here are my two bits worth as to how valid concerns and criticisms should be handled:

1. If your criticism is merely due to your own personal idiosyncrasy, that doesn’t have any effect on the sport as a whole, then nothing need to be said or done. If you’re not sure raise it as an issue on the forums (without identifying the cache).

2. If you feel that the cacher has really done something that, if he/he continues to do it, will adversely affect the sport in the long run, then email him/her privately and as tactfully as possible (without being arrogant or condescending) explain your concern.

3. If you feel that other players in general should be made aware of your general concern, then bring it up on this Forum without naming any specific person or cache

4. If you feel that it is really necessary that subsequent searchers for a particular cache should be warned of your noted criticisms/concerns then, with considerable trepidation, you should thoughtfully post these concerns on the log in the most tactful, non-critical manner as possible. Example: “ Wow! I really enjoyed the view - had I known it was going to be a bathing suit optional beach I would have left the kids at home and enjoyed it even more!!”

I think that if you were to take the above approach, raising your concerns would be accepted for the intended purpose – to keep Geocaching a fun sport for everyone. We can help each other to make sure it stays that way. There is really no need (and for myself, no desire) to get negative and critical in a manner that risks hurting feelings and causing anger. If you would rather take that risk, then don’t be surprised with the response. "

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Would I have deleted the log? No. Would I have emailed the player and asked him to tone it down a little? Yes. If he didn't I still would not delete this log but might post a note with my view point, or forget about it and go find a cache!

I have had a log deleted after a no find posting. I expressed that I felt the coordinates were off or the cache was missing. I advised other cachers that maybe a check by the owner might be in order before attempting to find this cache, it had not been found and is very remote. The owner changed the coordinates by 267 feet and deleted my log. Oh well, I went and found another cache and might even go back and find this one some day.

The log wasn't so horrible that it should have been deleted but then, the owner did have the right.

I've been annoyed a couple of times by being on the wrong side of a river but I realized that was part of the challenge of the cache.

By the way - there were a lot of food items originally placed in the cache wasn't there?

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

I've had a couple of unpleasant comments placed on my caches. One of them was quite scathing. I was hurt and offended, but I did not delete them. They are part of the game (emphasis on game).

I did however e-mail those involved and offer apologies (for the nastier note left by a cacher who really had a bad time of it) and an inquiry for the not quite so nasty negative note. Both times, the cachers completed the caches in question and of their own volition without any request from me, deleted their own negative log entries.

The only entry I will delete is a *found* when in fact they didn't find it.

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

I've been annoyed a couple of times by being on the wrong side of a river but I realized that was part of the challenge of the cache.

(I know I'm actually quoting MB here, but obviously the question isnt aimed at him) I do notice that there are parking coordinates in the cache description for the second stage. Where they used, or ignored because they were in decimal format?

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

By the way - there were a lot of food items originally placed in the cache wasn't there?

Don't forget, this cache was hidden almost 2yrs ago. I'm sure all the food is long gone. No, they probably wouldn't approve a cache full of food now, but then, they probably wouldn't approve a cache hidden in CT by someone living in GA now either. Yet, despite both those facts, this cache seems to be living a long and successful life.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
As far as deleting a log that does not have an entry in the cache log book... um... I gave up before I found the cache, so I'm not sure how that applies.

Certainly you don't mean you delete all "did not finds"??

I think what RainDog means that if he finds an entry on the website but that finder did not put an entry in the cache logbook, then he would delete the website entry, as there is no proof that the finder actually found the cache.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong-

E

quote:
Originally posted by Shiftlock:

I wouldn't have deleted the log if I were the cache owner. You have to take the good with the bad. Who cares what one person thinks of your cache? Let him describe his experience as he sees fit. Just my opinion.

I absolutely positively agree 100%

quote:
On the other hand, I wouldn't have posted such a negative comment if I were the cache seeker. I would have described my experience in a more tasteful fashion, but that's just me.

Agreed again. In fact I got skunked on Saturday and decided to come back and try again this weekend instead of posting DNF. If I don't find it this time, I'll DNF it, and keep grumbling to myself where it must or should be. I actually think it's pretty fun to grumble about DNFs.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I'm glad that Perfect Tommy posted the cache in question. Having done it, I must admit that I was feeling exposed and a little frustrated on the first stage, and I well may have posted a rant had I been skunked, but I wouldn't have complained about nasty cobwebs getting my poor little tootsies dirty and the traffic is downright passive compared to New York or New Jersey. To me the cache offered a nice twist once it sent me off into a more remote park I didn't know. I really want to meet BassoonPilot caching in a tuxedo, and I'll also keep my eyes peeled for pantywaist caching in his tutu.