Goofus and Gallant Go Geocaching

CYBret

ROFLMAO!!!!!

OK, I'm calling my sisters so they can read that before it's edited. It's only my extreme respect for the way K.A. is handeling this that I didn't quote the entire post and make his job harder.

Criminal, you just beat JoeFrog's dead monkey story for the funniest thing that I have ever read on this site! You are truly twisted and worthy of my respect. icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

BTW- just printed it out too........Lol

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

Central Scrutinizer:

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet. It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of you to the potential consequences of various ordinary everyday activities you might be performing which could eventually lead to “Post Closure.”

130036_5400.gif

We go now to a garage in Canoga Park, Gallant prepares a new geocache. When he is finished, he go inside and chats on the geocache forum. He sees something funny getting posted by a guy who calls himself “Majicman”. Gallant posts things that are funny too. Sometimes, he even drifts from the topic. Other times, Gallant offers helpful and informative advice to other geocachers.

130036_5500.gif

Goofus has no sense of humor, only a sense of self-inflated overeager pseudo responsibility. He reads the forum posts by Gallant, majicman, and others with scorn. “How dare they allow a topic to drift away from its intent?” The last straw is when Gallant uses the word “damnit” in a sentence. “That’s not even a real word!” he gasps. “I must inform the authorities before some poor child reads this foul language!” Goofus presses the triangle to alert the moderators of both the blaspheme and the humor.

This is the Central Scrutinizer, that was Gallant’s first confrontation with the law. Naturally, we were easy on him. One of our friendly moderators gave him a doughnut and told him to stick closer to church oriented forum activities.

130036_5400.gif

Gallant is stunned to find a moderator has made a slanderous comment and quickly shut the thread down, without even allowing him the dignity to respond. Gallant quickly opens another thread to state his case but the mod shuts that down, again after making an inflammatory remark. Gallant becomes disillusioned with the way the forums are being over-moderated. “It used to work just fine when Super J moderated; poor topics simply fell off the page on their own, off topic posts were either ignored or became a new and humorous direction for the thread, and you could always count on a few certain regulars to keep things interesting.”

130036_5500.gif

Goofus gloats in his newfound power. “They’ll be no laughing now!” he boasts. “And if I want to discuss the best geocaching pencil, gosh darn it, that’s all that will be discussed.”

130036_5400.gif

Gallant notices his name is being used in a threat to shut down a thread. Gallant doesn’t like to be threatened.

This is the central scrutinizer, humor has been declared illegal, words will not be allowed if they are determined to be rated R, even though those same words are used on network television on shows that are rated TV-PG. Topics must include the phrase “geocaching” or “Vespa” or they will be immediately shut down. There will be no consensus among the moderators, if any one of them should become angry, they are free to do as they wish.

130036_5500.gif

Goofus and his kind take over the forums. Gallant tries to read the posts but they put him to sleep. His head bobs up and down as he fights off the impending slumber. His nose inadvertently types the word “**ck, **it, and bull**it. The final straw comes when his forehead hits the enter key and send the words out on a post discussing “the most exciting time you tripped over a tree root”.

To be continued……..?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

130036_5400.gif

Ah yes, the poor persecuted Gallant.

Poor little forum poster.

130036_5500.gif

Ah, yes. Goofus the evil, humorless, self-inflated, overeager (irresponsible too?) scornfull, slanderous (did I leave anything out?) pseudo Central Scrutinizer. Hmmm... Goofus is watching this forum and sees that one person is posting messages at an alarming rate. 32 post in 25 minutes? Goofus asked the poster to give it a rest. The poor persecuted Gallant seems to be on some sort of crusade though. Goofus watches as the crusade continues...

130036_5400.gif

"Stupid Goofus. I'll just do what I want."

130036_5500.gif

"Boy, I'm just a Goofus and all. I guess I should just let Gallant post messages once per minute all night shouldn't I." (Goofus is beginning to wonder who is the Goofus at this point though.)

Goofus thinks Gallant is generally a nice guy and scratches his head. "Can't we just all get along?"

Maybe not...

mtn-man... admin brick mason 19490_2600.gif

h1GnGgallant.gif

Gallant downloads the cords to the cache, prints the Cache page and reads the previous post and carries paper towels to remove the water from the cache container mentioned by previous finder. Searches for over an hour for the well hidden cache, decrypts the clue in the field. He places a new log book in the cache to replace the moldy, mildew insfested log. Gallant logs his find on GC and plays a game of catch with his son.

h1GnGgoofus.gif

Goofus writes down the cords on the back of his hand (off one digit in the Minutes field), and heads off into the unknown. After looking for 3 minutes, gives up and flames the cache hider for a lousy cache. Take $5 from his son's piggy bank to cover his wasted gasoline.

Bob ~

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

130036_5400.gif

Gallant opens the forums this morning and is alarmed to discover that a moderator has taken the whole thing personally. Gallant was speaking in general terms about the entire direction of the forums, not about any particular person. Yes, we can all get along, we will have to agree to disagree at times though, and not slam topics closed simply because we don’t concur.

130036_5500.gif

Goofus says, “hey, how did I become a moderator in all this?”

This is the Central Scrutinizer; I was the moderator in this forum play. Lets keep this straight.

<moderator mode>

Criminal, we do agree at times and yes we can agree to disagree as well. Contrary to your post above, mods do in fact consult each other and sometimes in real time.

If you are going to continue with an activity in the forums when a mod asks you to quit then I would think you should be expected to be modded. I hope you will understand that. You are an outstanding cacher and a credit to the community. Your recent retrieval of a cache did not go unnoticed. (You have a great looking dog too! Love the photos on the cache logs.) I didn't take it personally but only responded in kind to your Goofus and Gallant post. Mine was over the top a bit, but you have to admit yours was too.

Please note that despite closing the 5 words topic, a new one is now going (which we have both posted to). Others started but were closed to keep one going. There are some off topic topics going right now for some levity. As long as they stay within the general geocaching or community lines they will go on.

And... I became a moderator by choice.

</moderator mode>

cute.gifbig_smile.gif

quote:
If you are going to continue with an activity in the forums when a mod asks you to quit then I would think you should be expected to be modded.

The “quit” request was a bit slow in coming. I was on a roll, you don’t push the river. You see, I do remember what it was like before the, dare I say, militant moderating I’ve seen lately. The General forums area was a great place to read about the more eccentric aspects of the game. There was much humor and more smartasses than you could shake a stick at, (should you have a stick and the forethought to be shaking it.) It was a crapshoot, you ask a question and you may get a serious response, you may get something that would add a chuckle to an otherwise frustrating day of attempting to learn HTML. What happened? Does it cost geocaching.com money if a thread appears that doesn’t relate to geocaching? These are rhetorical questions; I don’t expect you to answer them. We all have our orders. My biggest fault is that I’m too idealistic. I believe that geocachers aren’t going to hide a PVC pipe cache in the bridge supports. I believe that geocachers aren’t going to steal each other’s caches or contents. I believe that we can moderate ourselves in the forums just as we have all along.

quote:
(You have a great looking dog too! Love the photos on the cache logs.)

Thanks, but “who” has who is debatable. Ever play Frisbee with a dog in the dark at 9:30 at night? icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
I didn't take it personally but only responded in kind to your Goofus and Gallant post. Mine was over the top a bit, but you have to admit yours was too.

You embellished what I said with words like “stupid Goofus” and a few others. I neither said nor implied you or any mod is stupid. I buck against the institution that fosters blandness, not the people.

quote:
Please note that despite closing the 5 words topic, a new one is now going (which we have both posted to).

Well, nobody said they would close it if I posted to it, I was mentioned in the 5-word one by name, as though anything I might say would lock it down.

quote:
And... I became a moderator by choice.

Huh, all this time I thought you were forced into the job because of those pictures Jeremy was blackmailing you with. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for your post.

I don't have a problem with it.

Do remember that you posted 10 more times after I asked for some relief and one of those was the icon_mad.gif greamlins post you made. I figured that was directed at me (and I may be wrong about that of course). No biggie, and I don't want a big debate in this topic about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
(You have a great looking dog too! Love the photos on the cache logs.)

Thanks, but “who” has who is debatable. Ever play Frisbee with a dog in the dark at 9:30 at night? icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, all the time. I am so glad they make a glow-in-the-dark Moonlighter Frisbee, but I wish it would hold a "charge" of light longer! icon_biggrin.gif

Galliant seeng all the fun being had by pirates, gets a Marquee and becomes a Privateer.

Goofus not having time for all that crap steals a ship and launches his career on the high seas.

The Spanish Fleet can't tell the difference between the two and guns them both down. Galliant holds up his Marqee "but I had permission" were his last words. Goofus merely says to the captain "yer daughter is carrying me son" As he fades to black, the smile never leaves his face.

quote:
Originally posted by Bluehook:

More like a Frank Zappa album if you ask me.

130036_5400.gif Gallant goes Geocaching.

130036_5500.gif Goofus jams in Joe's Garage.

Bret

39219_2500.gif "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Look at where I got the image...while you're there, feel free to peruse...you'll amuse (and disgust) yourself for hours. It's work-safe, but people might think you're more weird than normal behavior.

icon_biggrin.gif That place is great... to many ROFLling Phridays ...

by the, www.mycathatesyou.com has some funny (and cute) kitties if you are looking for images.

Now... where did I put that cat carrier?

(also, http://www.mycathatesyou.com/newlist.asp) awww....

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

130036_5400.gif Gallant Knows not to eat anything he finds in a cache (except matches, ammo, and pocket knives).

107436_7000.jpg Goofus eats everything he finds in a cache, then 'deposits' the contents of the last cache, in the ammo box.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Gallant sees a beautiful, seemingly single, female geocacher in the forums and does what most red-blooded men would do and hits on/"proposes" to her.

Goofus IS that female geocacher, who has torn a picture of her and her husband in half (showing just her) to use as her avatar. When she gets attention and emails from men, she suddenly reveals the husband she conveniently didn't mention, takes her toys and goes home.

(This post is in memory of the spzzmoose-Aung Gigi saga)

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

<moderator mode>

May the topic now continue in a lighthearted manner! big_smile.gif

mtn-man... admin brick mason http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19490_2600.gif

Hey, I like Joe's Garage as much as the next guy icon_biggrin.gif

Sure wish I was smart enough to join this thread, but I didn't grow up with Highlights icon_frown.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Look at where I got the image...while you're there, feel free to peruse...you'll amuse (and disgust) yourself for hours. It's work-safe, but people might think you're more weird than normal behavior.

http://members.cox.net/teamai/geocaching/images/forumsig1.jpg

The AF server here won't let it through. The "Smartfilter" says it's (gasp) "humor"!

quote:

quote:

The AF server here won't let it through. The "Smartfilter" says it's (gasp) "humor"!

I could get in from work, but I didn't really want to once I did.

nm_button.gifTook sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

130036_5400.gif Galliant carries a bag full of trade items with him while hunting, and always leaves an item that is equal to or greater in value than the item he takes. He also takes care to assure that the items he leaves are ones that other cachers will want to trade for.

130036_5500.gif Three words: Dirty Golf Balls

quote:

quote:

http://members.cox.net/teamai/geocaching/images/forumsig1.jpg

Try this:

http://1110855951/%63%6c%69ff/%69%68%61t%65%79%6f%75/

forumsig1.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:

quote:

I could get in from work, but I didn't really want to once I did.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NM_Geo/Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

The very first picture you see on the main page, I understand why. Click on the 01 to the left in that huge list of numbers and prepare to hurt.

forumsig1.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

What wrong with http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=17160977 http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=51887?

Rofl. I have to concur with this question!

Webfoot

_Veni...Vidi...Vicachi._

I came...I saw...I geocached.

http://www.scgeocachers.org

Guess I should have said, "dirty golf balls with no TB attached"... icon_wink.gif

"Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer." - J.R.R. Tolkien, on critics

quote:

We go now to a garage in Canoga Park, Gallant prepares a new geocache. When he is finished, he go inside and chats on the geocache forum. He sees something funny getting posted by a guy who calls himself “Majicman”. Gallant posts things that are funny too. Sometimes, he even drifts from the topic. Other times, Gallant offers helpful and informative advice to other geocachers.

I thought I heard my name (Majicman) being used in vain!

Do you not realize that I have copyrighted that name (Majicman - all rights reserved) and no one (not even a Criminal) is allowed to type it (or to even utter it under there breath) without express written permission from its copyrightholder!

You smell what I am steppin' in?

--majicman

(MY new book is NOW AVAILABLE! Check it out: http://www.mcwj.com )

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Do you not realize that I have copyrighted that name (_Majicman_ - all rights reserved) and no one (not even a Criminal) is allowed to type it (or to even utter it under there breath) without express written permission from its copyrightholder!

I'm pretty sure Don Majikowiski, former QB for the GB Packers has that copyright.

Well, I guess his was "Majikman."

---Stats banner used to be here.---