Police GPS

If it's something like a GPS V, it would give them turn by turn directions to an address.

Also, as more people own GPS's and make emergency calls, they can provide their coordinates and a GPS would be helpful to the police.

Track logs of a chase could be used as evidence, or be helpful for filling out reports.

Tracks can be useful for programmed patrol routes.

Supervisors can use tracks to make sure that

their underlings aren't going where they don't belong.

Backup evidence for catching speeders.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

AS a former Photo-journalist, I can tell you I used to always have a scanner on....and as soon as a call would come in, I'ld be gone. Sometimes arriving on scene faster than the cops. if the cops start using Coordinates Many people won't have a clue as to where the action is. Plus it's more accurate than some street names...

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

The most probable reason is to record the location of crime incidents. Not all crime occurs at a known street address. By recording a geographic location for each incident, you can map crime locations in a geographic information system (GIS). In addition, you will also be able to conduct all sorts of data analysis and map the results. For example, you can identify which neighborhoods a particular crime occurs in with the highest frequency which may lead to the reassignment of patrols. Or, you may be interested in "seeing" where most crimes occur on Saturday nights between the hours of 1 am & 3 am.

A co-worker of mine used his personally owned, SporTrak Map, to get coordinates of a pasture which he then relayed to a Lifeflight helicopter pilot that was enroute to pick-up a critically injured car wreck victim. By being able to relay these coordinates directly to the helicopter it allowed the helicopter to land extremely close to the wreck scene instead of the EMTs transporting the victim to the nearest Lifeflight landing zone. There are several of us that carry our GPSrs with us when we work.... who knows, sometimes our high tech toys may just help save a life.

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I am currently attending police academy and I know that they are working on the GPS system for cell phones. Many people who call the police from their cell phone have no idea where they are and they will be using some technology that will send the coordinates to the police so they can respond.

quote:
you can map crime locations in a geographic information system (GIS).

Oops, I missed this or I would have responded. We have been doing this for years without the use of GPS, although GPS could make it a bit more precise. On a Alabama Uniform Incident/Offense Report there is a field called 'Sector'. For the sector, we use the TSR method. Those that are into benchmark hunting or are familiar with surveying techniques are familiar with Township, Sectors, and Ranges. When I fill-in the sector number I use a 5 digit number that tells the Township, Sector & Range which, when viewed on a map, narrows the location down to about 1 square mile.

Jeff

GPS would also come in very handy in a remote when two different agencies are trying to work together. Many times the agencies use different landmarks to name the same places. This way they could get to where they need each other quickly.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford all that ACME stuff... Why didn't he just buy DINNER?

All our squad cars have GPS along with mapping in their computers, over 1100 units. All crash reports are documented using lat/long. This is a major help when doing traffic stats as it gives exact coord. GPS is also helpful when doing manhunts and searches or giving locations to backup another officer. Remember, not every place has street signs. When our complete system is fully operational every report and traffic ticket the officer completes will be logged with the lat/long. Again, this will be a major asset when doing traffic and crime analysis.

My crash reconstructionist is testing various hi-tech GPS mapping units to map crash scenes. These are not the run of the mil GPS units but accurate to within 2 cm. Using these GPS systems to map a crash scene cuts the time required to at least 1/4 the time when using the old system which is basically a surveying type unit.

We are working on a program here for First Responders and Fire and Rescue,and all local area Situations.We are in the process of mapping every house so we have a long/Latt of every dwelling to go with the Physical description address,and that they agree.Like all here we are trying to make a safer place to be and locate if you want to be found,But I still like that option of no one knowing exactly where are you...HE hE He. All the new cell phones have the GPS chip but all the repeaters for the system have not been installed yet,was one of those mandated things that still has not taken place yet.And alot of this we are on the forefront of technology in.They have the chips that individuals can wear and be tracked by computers,and and and....

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

quote:
Using these GPS systems to map a crash scene cuts the time required to at least 1/4 the time when using the old system which is basically a surveying type unit.

One of the municipalities in the county where I work does this. It really is a cool system. Thus far, our MDTs have maps but are not yet fully GPS integrated. GPS is helpful both for the officer and for the citizen that they serve.

Jeff

One thing I've always wondered about...

If I called 911 to report an emergency, and gave them coordinates, would they be able to deal with them quickly?

That situation probably doesn't happen often...I'm just curious if the 911 folks know what to do with that information if it is provided.

George

There working on it.Right now it seems to be techy termonology to most,that is why they are wanting everyone to become more educated in the Technologies and they are talking in Congress how to upgrade to the new stuff....If you say Longitude and Lattitude to most people they say huh??? and get that look ...then you want to talk about the Prime Meridian and the Principal meridians and the Guide Meridians and uh uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuyou know where it goes.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

quote:
If I called 911 to report an emergency, and gave them coordinates, would they be able to deal with them quickly?

Unfortunately, the answer is most likely, no icon_frown.gif

I often am out riding my horse in remote areas. I always have one or two GPS units with me, as well as extra batteries and my cell phone (which is generally off unless I need to turn it on and use it).

I have worked out with my husband that if I am ever hurt and need him, I am to send him a text message via cell phone with my coordinates so he can lead help to me. Extra little words, like "bring vet" or "bring doc" tell him if he can come alone or if somebody is hurt.

Fortunately, we have not had to use this system for an emergency (knock on wood). But we have it worked out. Since I can't rely on 911 to be able to use my coordinates or even to be able to get enough cell phone reception to make a phone call (text messages require much less signal stability), we've worked this little system out for now.

But glad to hear that police are working on using technology to help them do their jobs.

Cheval

To finish is to win. www.aerc.org

I was recently involved in a car accident and was surprised to find the lat/long on the accident report. The officer that I sent to retrieve my GPS V before the car was towed away didn't seem to know what he was looking for, but he did find it. Unfortunately, it wasn't on during the accident. It would have been interesting to see what it tracked. icon_eek.gif

GoBucks

Since a lot of the GPS systems are being placed in the cars and are not handhelds, it can only track where the car has been. Computer Aided Dispatch is getting pretty high tech and with the addition of GPS, it can hopefully get more precise. It will be kinda cool to see how the uses change as people become more used to GPSs incorporated in everything.

My company is working to track school busses to save time/money. So far, we have tracked drivers who extend their routes in order to get another hour or two of pay a day. And the driver who didn't stop at railroad crossings got into a ton of trouble.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

quote:

Unfortunately, the answer is most likely, no icon_frown.gif

Jeff

Depends on the dispatch center. Our local one services 22 different fire and EMS jurisdictions across hundreds of square miles very rural open land. Input the coordinates in the computer and the bearing and distance for the closest engine, ambulance, helicopter or fixed wing is displayed. Coordinates also help sort out the exact location of the incident. Often multiple reports are received with conflicting locations. Coordinates will help sort it out.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Just curious; do all government agencies using GPS also use the same map datum and location format? That could be important where interagency activities involving GPS use are involved.

Worldtraveler

Federal land agencies use NAD27 because all the historic data and maps use that. It's not really a big deal anymore because a few mouse clicks convert one datum and projection to another now.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

AS a former Photo-journalist, I can tell you I used to always have a scanner on....and as soon as a call would come in, I'ld be gone. Sometimes arriving on scene faster than the cops. if the cops start using Coordinates Many people won't have a clue as to where the action is. Plus it's more accurate than some street names...

A clever turn on a recurring problem that we see in our Citizen Patrol area. We have a pool that turns into a MIP zone at night. When we see the kids drinking beer at the pool, we call the police, and the kids scatter because they have scanners and can get the call going out the cruiser in time to blow before the police get there. It would be interesting to report events using GPS coordinates and see if we can beat them to the punch.

Let's see, I have my fire-retardant keyboard and monitor, therefore I am ready to read the flames, I mean messages in the forum.

A clever turn on a recurring problem that we see in our Citizen Patrol area. We have a pool that turns into a MIP zone at night. When we see the kids drinking beer at the pool, we call the police, and the kids scatter because they have scanners and can get the call going out the cruiser in time to blow before the police get there. It would be interesting to report events using GPS coordinates and see if we can beat them to the punch.

Actually you can use the scanner to help you break the party up early, since the kids are listening to it all you need is the call going out to send a unit to that location, and since the kids are listening then the party breaks up and you don't really need to send the unit.

Work this a few times until they wise up and then really have a unit respond (BUSTED)

quote:
Depends on the dispatch center

That is a great thing, but not all agencies utilize GPS in their units.... so I stand by my comment that odds are if you dial 911 and give the dispatcher coordinates that they will not be able to deal with the emergency quickly, especially if you are not in a large metro area with extremely modern equipment.

Jeff

quote:
Actually you can use the scanner to help you break the party up early, since the kids are listening to it all you need is the call going out to send a unit to that location, and since the kids are listening then the party breaks up and you don't really need to send the unit.

With the advent of digital, trunked radio systems that are becoming more and more common in public service, kids listening the scanner is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

One thing I've always wondered about...

That situation probably doesn't happen often...I'm just curious if the 911 folks know what to do with that information if it is provided.

George

Being that I'm in this exact position, I can say that some could and some couldn't. I, of course, would have the location fixed in seconds, but that's due to my involvement in this sport. In my dispatch center, we are also responsible for EMSComm, a console dedicated to keeping track of our patrol helos and planes, but for also patching ambulances/helos to hospitals if their own systems won't transmit that far. As a result, lat/long coords are given regularly to us, but most of my co-workers don't understand what it means...or at least with enough understanding to make the advantage of such things negligible, at best. This summer, we're upgrading to a CAD system, but it's unclear at this point whether or not AVL will be an implentation we can afford.

Brian

Team A.I.

My uncle was looking to start using GPS for remote collisions where a helo was needed to fly out a critical patient. He doesn't regularly use a GPSr, but sees a signficant advantage in it, because it would save critical minutes. Due to some of the locations serious wrecks happen in the outer areas of town (especially on SR87 going to Payson from Phoenix), sometimes patients have had to be driven 50 miles to a waiting helicopter. It's very possible that having a GPSr could have assisted in finding a suitable landing area much closer to the crash scene than that.

Brian

Team A.I.

I retired from a wildlife enforcement agency. We often used the GPS to map violations. Some cases were spread over several miles, and the mark and transfer to maps made life much easier.

Our biggest use, was in locating possible violations with planes. The plane could cover large areas and provide the coordinates to ground units. Always was fun walking in on some one who thought they were hidden from the world. We could cover the same amount of country with a half dozen officers, as it would take a couple of dozen on the ground.