Proper way to deal with a cache owner?

Another person started a thread on a subject that about archived cacehs and thought I would ask a question I have here.

There is a local cache that hasn't been found in 8 months. It's a relatively low rated cache as it's a 1.5/1.5 I believe. There have been posts made on the cache page from previous finders that it appeared that it was on private property and that they had to cross private property to get to it. Mainly parking in a parking lot of an apartment complex or across the street from it. I've watched it for the last month on the website and noticed no new finders, which is odd somewhat, because caches in this area are pretty much frequently visited and found. I haven't gone to try and find it myself due to the fact, of the comments that others put on the page and no comments on there that the owner has checked on it. Their profile shows no finds with only 1 hidden cache. This one cache was placed out over a year ago.

I've emailed the cache owner and asked them about the cache and if it was still there, if they have checked on it and about the private property thing. They responded that they haven't checked in sometime and is behind the townhouses they live in. They said they have only checked it once or twice since it was placed. They never really did answer the part of the private property part, with exception of fact it is behind the townhouses they live in. I responded back to try and get a clearer answer on that part.

Should I just let it go and not worry about it? Should someone(not necessarily me) suggest it for archiving?

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

In a situation like this I would handle it one of two ways...

I would go try to find the cache myself and if it appears to be obviously on private property then I would post a log with the red x saying it should be archived. Thus letting the admins do the communication with the cache owner.

My other solution is that I would not sweat one cache... I would go out and find one of the other of nearly 1300 caches that are within 100 miles of where you live.

Thanks BruceS. I just wasn't sure if that with all the messages of the private property thing on the cache page and then the email that I received back from the owner, whether or not should result in other ways or if there is a protocol for it.

Personally, I haven't gone after it and probably won't due to the messages and comments the owner made in the email about not checking on it, but once or twice in over a year and definitely not in the last 8 months. I was just checking to see if I am handling things right or there should be another way of doing it.

This also brings up another question. Is it good practice or not necessary for a cache owner to make an entry online when they make checks of the cache? I've seen it done both ways.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

If there is a known problem or everyone suspects a cache is gone I'll post a note about checking on the cache. Otherwise I don't clutter the log for finders. They only get 5 logs in a pocket queries. "The Cache is still there" is a good one to know.

You did your part with the cache owners and they actually emailed you. That's better than most. Call it a day and leave it in their hands.

Thanks renegade. I also forgot to mention that the cache owner stated that the cache was placed by her boyfriends father. So I guess they were supposed to be responsible for the maintaining of it, or it was a puppet account for the cache.

If I get near it, I might go and check it out and see if the messages are true or not. I was very surprised to get a response actually. I figured I probably wouldn't. Maybe my email got them to go and do a check on it.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

It is possible that it's on private property with permission, but you did it the right way by contacting the owner. From this point you can let it rest, or try to find it and decide for yourself if it's someplace that you're comfortable going. And as Bruce S said, the red X is always available.

As far as making an entry for a maint visit, it's a good idea. I always do it. It lets others know that the cache is there and in good order. This is especially helpful info if the cache hasn't been found for some time, as some peope are loath to look for a cache that doesn't have a recent find.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It is possible that it's on private property with permission

I thought about that initially. But thought otherwise when people said they had to go through an apartment complex as well as park there at it or across from it. One cacher even made mention in their online log that they saw a tenant and the tenant said it was ok for them to do that. lol

quote:

As far as making an entry for a maint visit, it's a good idea. I always do it. It lets others know that the cache is there and in good order. This is especially helpful info if the cache hasn't been found for some time, as some peope are loath to look for a cache that doesn't have a recent find.

That's what I was thinking as well. I mean if you went to your cache every week or so, then no you want to fill up the cache log with that. But as you stated and on the cache I was speaking of, I was thinking that if a period of time has gone by and people aren't logging it, then an occasional log of that you performed maintenance would be good, and would let others know that it is there and in good order.

Thanks for your input.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

There are several caches in my area that have been temporarily unavailable for months, some for over a year. When I first started caching, I recommended a cache for archival, and there was quite a backlash. You did the right thing by contacting the owner first. In fact, the stink over my recommendation has caused me to keep my mouth shut about caches that really should be looked into. I figure, if it doesn't bother the other cachers in my area, I'm not going to rock the boat. Sooner or later someone will come along who can't stand to see the neglected caches, and I'll be happy to let them take the fallout for reporting them.

eyes.GIF

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

I have found that cache. The woods may be private property but I did not see them posted at all. I doubt they are owned by the complex. One could argue that the owner has invited you to use the complex parking as her guest, by hiding the cache in her backyard. When I found the cache (on my 2nd attempt), some paintballers had recently stumbled upon it.

I actually know the cacher that helped with the hide. He is a pretty astute hider and I don't think he would be flagrantly trespassing.

I say, go get it!

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

Cool Walden! My concern were the messages that stated they had to park at the complex and cross it to get to the woods. My luck, I would run into the manager or security. Or even worse I would be seen cutting through, go into the woods with a bag and return a short time later. Someone would call the cops on me, I know it. lol

I emailed the person on the cache page that is listed as the owner. It was a female that repsonded and as I mentioned up above she stated it was her boyfriends father and she has only checked it 2 times at the most in over a year. I emailed her in concern that since it hadn't been visited in 8 months and with the remarks made, I wanted to be sure it was there or if htey knew if it was. She stated she didn't know. I asked her she could check on it and let us know that it was still there or not and to let us know about hte private property issue. Haven't heard back yet on that last bit.

Also as you know Waldenrun, that the caches around here are visited pretty good. There aren't very many that go a month or two that hasn't been visited.

I will make plans for going to check it out this week or weekend sometime.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I had placed a cache on a GREAT little strip of public land; it was a wooded creekbed between our apartments & a residential neighborhood. You were secluded once you entered the treeline. It was under some gnarled roots on the creek bank. The first person who logged it loved it.

One geocacher was extremely rude & nasty saying that it needed to be archived NOW because he couldn't find it and he had had a frustrating day of cache finding. He kept posting to the cache page instead of emailing me. I informed him that it would not be archived, quite politely, I might add. It was on public land and much less conspicuous than other caches. It came up missing the next day. Sometimes it's not dealing with the cache owner, it's dealing with other cachers, unfortunately.

quote:
Originally posted by SunNGuitars:

One geocacher was extremely rude & nasty saying that it needed to be archived NOW because he couldn't find it and he had had a frustrating day of cache finding. He kept posting to the cache page instead of emailing me. I informed him that it would not be archived, quite politely, I might add. It was on public land and much less conspicuous than other caches. It came up missing the next day. Sometimes it's not dealing with the cache owner, it's dealing with other cachers, unfortunately.

Which cache is that? I only saw one cache listed for you, and according to your archive note on it:

quote:

icon_remove.gifJuly 7 by SunNGuitars (1 found)

Heard a !CRACK! and a bunch of noise, hard rains took a tree and a good bit of the bank with it... so I ventured out, amazingly enough, retrieved the cache... so all is not lost. Sorry, but I can't control the weather, haha.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

You think you have troubles, I'm having a heck of a time.

Didn't help that I never found 25-30 caches and learned to use a GPS before I hid a cache.

I was so hooked when I heard and read about geocaching that I jumped the gun.

The cache I hid is in a real cool spot and I took great care and love placing this cache. My first one, before I ever found one, because somebody had to do it.

I got blisters on my feet

and a smile on my face.

Learning a step at a time

for the sake of my heart.

Go geocachers!

quote:
Originally posted by SunNGuitars:

I had placed a cache on a GREAT little strip of public land; it was a wooded creekbed between our apartments & a residential neighborhood.

Though your cache was on public land, could it be accessed publicly? Apartment complexes aren't public. Neither are peoples yards. If there was a way to access it without crossing private property, then I would say there shouldn't be a problem. I've seen many apartment complexes with signs, sometimes small, at the entrance stating restrictions upn entering. Plus even though an apartment complex manager may say it's ok. Is it a norm that the cacher would go ask permission of them to cross their property to go after a cache? I mean I wouldn't. It's enough of a hunt already to go cache hunting, but then to have to hunt down a manager or who ever is in charge is another thing. I think in instances that either parking coordinate s or directions on where to park needs to be given.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Which cache is that? I only saw http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=78276&decrypt=y&log= listed for you, and according to your archive note on it:

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/icon_remove.gif _July 7 by SunNGuitars (1 found)_

Heard a !CRACK! and a bunch of noise, hard rains took a tree and a good bit of the bank with it... so I ventured out, amazingly enough, retrieved the cache... so all is not lost. Sorry, but I can't control the weather, haha.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

As Kelso on that 70's show would say....BURN!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

Caches have been placed upstate here in privately owned woods open for public recreational hiking. In these cases, permission should be especially received from the owner. If a subsequent finder gets caught with the cache, it could cause more problems in my viewpoint.

What do others think?

Alan

What permission should be recieved from the owner? Permission to place a the cache or permission to go after the cache? From what I understand you need to make sure it's ok to place a cache somewhere before you place it.

If you were speaking of that eache cacher that goes for it should get permission first, then no I don't agree. I assume you meant it the other way, but I jsut wanted to be sure.

Brian

Ok, had time to go caching today and this cache I was asking about was somewhat on the way, or lets just say I amde it along the way. I have to agree with the rest of the people that go after this cache, including the one that did it in the last couple of days. I drove all around trying to find a way to get to this cache without the way that others said. The cache is in the woods behind an apartment complex. The complex is situated that the parking places are numbered for the tenants. There is a field/playground that is about 50 yards long before you get to the woods. After pulling into the complex and seeing the situation, I did not feel right about trespassing here to go after the cache and did not. I still have not heard anything back from the cache maintainer about the private property issue. The person who just found it receently made mention that they didn't think this was a good hide and with the circumstances I witnessed, I have to agree.

Brian