Listing required equipment. Necessary?

There have been a couple, or better, of instances when someone asks if it would be okay to hide a cache in a way that required specialized equipment. The response was it would be okay as long as the required equipment was listed on the cache page.

My question to that would be "why?"

Why give away part of the challenge by telling them what equipment they will need? Many times that could ruin part of the hunt.

For instance, I asked about a cache in a tree that didn't have limbs to climb. The answer was it was fine as long as I said they needed to bring tree climbing gear. Well, that kind of blows part of the hide as most people aren't looking 30'-40' up into trees for a cache.

I've got another one that if I said anything about gear it would give away practically the exact location. As it turns out I've got a few DNFs on that cache because some hunters refused to put their hand somewhere that would have been proven safe if they had a mirror. (Hint)

I see no problem with listing equipment on some caches. You know, the obvious ones like SCUBA caches. But I feel that should be up to the owner of the cache.

To me, showing up to a cache and needing more equipment is no different than a DNF. I'll return to hunt a DNF again. And if I can swing it, I'll return with the proper equipment to get a cache I wasn't prepared for before.

But I fail to understand why I should list equipment and give away part of the hunt.

Somebody want to help me out?

CR

72057_2000.gif

This seems like an obvious answer to me. If you don't know you need to bring something special to get a cache, how can you get the cache? I think you AREN'T being fair to cachers if you lead them to a cache only to make them leave and return with extra equipment. Not to meantion anyone who doesn't live close enough to return getting the short end of that stick!

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

The only reason I can see for it is for people who might travel a long way to grab a cache. I know that I might be a little miffed if I show up at a cache that I drove a couple hours for and realized that I needed climbing equipment, or a dive suit. Anyway, I sort of agree with you that it could give away part of the hunt. If you say I need something to climb a tree, then of course I'm going to be looking up and it would probably make it much easier, which kinda sucks. So just list everything on there say "you need to bring a 4x4, rope, SCUBA suit, kayak, rappelling equipment, jet pack, bazooka, tank, parachute, etc". Then people will bring everything, be prepared, and still not know what's in store for them. icon_smile.gif

Seriously though, I think that if it was given a 5 terrain rating, most people should realize that it requires certain equipment. So in that instance, if I saw a 5 star cache 2 hours away that I wanted to get, I would either plan a couple trips out to scout the location, or e-mail another player who has logged the cache and get some info as to what I needed, and in doing so, realize that I'm ruining the hunt part of the cache.

Ok enough useless rambling....I guess I didn't have anything useful to add/.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

If I got to a cache that was up in a tree, then I would make the decision: to climb or not to climb? Who needs "specialized tree climbing gear"? Never heard of it. I have 2 hands and 2 feet, that's all you need. That's what makes it an adventure, being challenged on the way and being able to adapt and overcome it on your own. Many times I have hugged cliff walls with dropoffs of 100' or more, hanging on with just my fingertips. Did I have to use pitons and rope harnesses? Hell no. I say list it as-is, and let the adventurer decide whether they want to wussy out and run home for more "specialized equipment" or forge ahead and claim the glory of the find.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

This seems like an obvious answer to me. If you don't know you need to bring something special to get a cache, how can you get the cache?

Go to the cache location, scope out the situation, then come back another time with the required equipment?

I don't see anything anywhere that says that you should expect finding a cache should take only one attempt.

In another thread cachers were asked to list the standard equipment that they carried while geocaching.

I don't recall any of them saying that they carried a mirror.

If you are saying that a cacher should go out ready for anything, I hope that all your caches are in parking lots. My van is not made to go off-road. And a van or truck is the only way to be ready for everything that you might find.

Are you rating these caches as a 5? Even at that, a hint would let the searcher know whether to bring a canoe or rappelling gear.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

I did not see this thread until just answering in another thread. I would leave it up to the finder to determine what equipment they would need. Listing needed equipment may scare someone away, while not listing it will get them to the site. At the site the finder can determine how to make their approach.

Thanks, all, for the responses!

quote:
Originally posted by RichardMoore:

I don't recall any of them saying that they carried a mirror.

We didn't carry one until we had to read a set of coordinates that required a mirror--you simply couldn't get your head in there to read it otherwise. This was a multi and we were warned to have one. Now, we always have one.

The cache of mine I was refering to doesn't require a mirror. Some people just aren't as dumb as the rest of us and won't [deleted so not to give too much away].

As for mirrors, I like THIS one. Just haven't the gumption to pick it up yet as I'm looking for a mirror/magnet combo.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I don't think it is required to list special equipment, unless you want to. However, I would recommend listing any safety issues related to the cache. For instance, if the cache were on the side of a cliff requiring climbing gear, I'd post in the cache description that the cache is in a potentially dangerous area, and that extreme caution should be exercised. Vague enough not to give it away, but plain enough that I won't bring my 4-year-old and will know to be careful.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

I agree that it adds to the challenge by not listing required gear. However, I there are a lot of people who overestimate their skill and underestimate the danger when it comes to climbing. Personally, I would list that gear may be required just to prevent some moron from attempting it not realizing that gear should be used. As much as I'd like to think I wouldn't feel guilty about some numbskull injuring themselves... I would.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -George Burns

Ya know, I found one of those telescoping dental mirrors in my very first cache. I have had it in my pack ever since with no idea what I would do with it. But I carry it, and several others *useful* items that I have yet to use, but ya never know. I guess being a scout leader helps you realize you will never truly *be prepared* but you never know WHAT you will need so you carry some rather odd stuff sometimes icon_eek.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

I think it's really up to the cache hider to balance what to give away vs. what to help cachers prepare in advance for.

I've noted, for example, safety issues (ie. 'Not a good cache for nighttime searches') as well as other caveats (ie. 'Please be aware there are climbers on the cliffs below you') just to help clue folks in.

I agree though - it's a tough balancing act.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

A cache that requires special equipment, according to the GC.COM guidelines, earns a 5 star rating.

If the cache is rated appropriately, then there is no need to specify the required equipment. The cache hunter will know that before they get there. However if you want to accomodate the people who will be hunting for your cache, it would be nice to let them know what is required.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I've read the posts to this thread. Considered everyone's viewpoint. Thought out the pros and cons of the different opinions. Now my brain hurts. Remind me to never place a cache that requires special equipment.

Here's how I summed it up to myself:

A cache that has a 5 star rating follows a different set of rules than 1-4 ratings. That sentence isn't phrased very well but you know what I mean. The difference between the levels of 1-4 are not that large, and sometimes misunderstood. The difference between 4 and 5 is huge. If I go for a cache rated at less than 5 I assume that I have a very good chance of finding it. If it's a 5 I may get close and have to come back or give it up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the cache is rated as 5 star, let the searchers figure out what they need. If it's less than 5, suggest some things that might be needed (there is a cache near here that you need a screwdriver to open, the hider indicated that in the description.)

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway