Caching with GPSr's

Trying to create a new topic...

What do people think of caching with GPSr's?

I carry one; but I find that I need to make sure that I don't hand it to children (or adults) in the group without proper training, since they could lose themselves in the woods with it if mis-used - that's why I usually leave the GPSr in a locked cabinet at home, and store it's batteries somewhere else, in a room different than the GPS.

I also worry if people carrying GPSr's have a false sense of security, and perhaps perform bolder acts of walking further in the woods.

However, I do view it as my right to carry this wherever I go. Thank God I live in a country where our right to carry GPSr's is not restricted, as it probably is in Communist China, where they don't want their citizens to know where they are.

I personally own many GPS's, for different uses.

"They can have my GPSr... when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands"

"GPSRs don't find caches, people find caches." icon_wink.gif

"I'm a card-carrying member of the NGPSRA, and I Vote." icon_wink.gif

Yes, I "pack" a gps, although some caches descriptions are so detailed, the gps is sometimes superfluous.

I'm going to try Webling's (and others') orienteering-approach one of these days; it sounds like fun.

"GPSRs don't find caches, people find caches." icon_wink.gif

"I'm a card-carrying member of the NGPSRA, and I Vote." icon_wink.gif

Yes, I "pack" a gps, although some caches descriptions are so detailed, the gps is sometimes superfluous.

I'm going to try Webling's (and others') orienteering-approach one of these days; it sounds like fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Joel and Fran:

I carry one; but I find that I need to make sure that I don't hand it to children

"They can have my GPSr... when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands"

You are a sick and twisted person. How can you justify carriing one with children around? You could give them a false sence of security. GPSrs are dangerous and irresposable devices. I prey I never come across some one like you in the woods.

LOL

lach.gif

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

The only problem I have with some people carrying GPSr's is it makes it more difficult for me to tell them to "get lost"!

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

You should get some training before you carry your gpsr. Also make sure you have a secure yet comfortable method of carry. I prefer a case with both a lanyard and a belt clip. The lanyard works good for easy, quick access in an emergency, and the belt clip keeps it out of the way when you don't need it.

Make sure to always treat any gpsr as if it has the batteries loaded. The first thing you should do when you pick one up is to open the battery case and check for batteries.

Never carry a fake gpsr, if the woods decide to call your bluff and make you lost you will be in real trouble. If you go in the deep woods carry the biggest badest one you can afford. If anyone knows where to get one that uses four d cells let me know. A giant gpsr with a big screen hanging on your hip should scare off any woods that might want to make you lost.

The tongue-in-cheek isn't lost on me, but since this isn't really a real topic at all, I'm closing it.

On a serious note, if you are on the trail make sure to have a compass with you. Batteries and technology are pretty unreliable given Murphy's Law.

Closing this thread.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I highly recommend getting a concealed GPSr permit. Personally, I've made a habit of keeping my GPSr handy in my purse at all times...except when I'm caching, of course. Then I transfer it to my belt holster for easier access.

P.S. Whew! Looks like I posted in the nick of time. icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I highly recommend getting a concealed GPSr permit. Personally, I've made a habit of keeping my GPSr handy in my purse at all times...except when I'm caching, of course. Then I transfer it to my belt holster for easier access.

P.S. Whew! Looks like I posted in the nick of time. icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg