What happened to the satellites today (9/11/03)

Cacheoholic

I was caching in Pittsburgh, PA today and had GPSr problems between 11:30AM to about 12:30 PM. My GPSr went crazy. It was drifting randomly up to 8 miles. I would turn it off, back on, get a good location for about 15 seconds and then jump to a different location 4 or 5 miles away. I have GPS hardware connected to my pocket PC and had similar problems. Both are working fine now. Just wondering if anyone else had problems today? Was this a result of terrorist threats today?

quote:
Originally posted by I Believe:

I was caching in Pittsburgh, PA today and had GPSr problems between 11:30AM to about 12:30 PM. My GPSr went crazy. It was drifting randomly up to 8 miles. I would turn it off, back on, get a good location for about 15 seconds and then jump to a different location 4 or 5 miles away. I have GPS hardware connected to my pocket PC and had similar problems. Both are working fine now. Just wondering if anyone else had problems today? Was this a result of terrorist threats today?

gremlins......

Creativity Within The Bounds Of Conformity

About 4 wekks ago or 5, I went to go cache, couldnt get a signal, when I went to satelite view not a single satelite was online, after 2 hrs of just driving around I did manage to get up to 3 satelites one was a WAAS. I thought this was strange since I can usually get a signal as soon as I step out the door.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

My supervisor used to work extensively with GPS, and he swears that every day, it would be out for about 15 minutes. icon_confused.gif

I haven't heard of this mentioned anywhere here - don't know if I am describing something everyone already knows OR it is complete BS. icon_cool.gif

Oh, and I don't think he was suggesting terrorists were at work, but rather the threat of them caused the system to be put in gimp mode....

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

My supervisor used to work extensively with GPS, and he swears that every day, it would be out for about 15 minutes.

That was just long enough for a lengthy bathroom reading break or a smoke break.

You know, "Can't do any work. GPS is down. I guess I'll take a break."

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

We had some problems with sats yesterday, around 10-11am PST...

Got out of the car with a full 5 or 6 sats connected, under the trees... Got to the end of the street, 10m from the trailhead, and *EVERYTHING* just randomly cut out.

I'd heard of this happening with some software for Magellan Gold, but this was my little yellow etrex... Decided to do what was solving it then and walk down to the marina with a few square miles of completely open sky, and sit it down for 15 minutes to get a signal.

Half an hour later, still *nothing*... Decided to give up on that cache for the day and see if we got signals elsewhere... Of course, halfway between the trailhead, and the car, under the trees, suddenly 5 sats were immediately restored... Walked back towards the trailhead... gone! Back towards the car.... back... o.O

We concluded jokingly that the ghetto marina was blocking GPS sats in the area to deter terrorist attacks :-p (Yeah right)

I think the more likely problem was the construction going on in a house beside the trailhead and marina, which might have some sort of equipment going that may have messed with the signals... It was weird.

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."