Plane Crash Cash

Guest krappold

Guest krappold

I was thinking of locating an old plane crash I know of on National Park grounds and creating a cache there. But I haven't seen caches listed that are located at lost things in the woods much. Is this something that is OK to do from a GeoCache point of view? Any special things I should do when I do it? This would be my first cache.

Guest topografix

From the Geocaching FAQ:

If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules. You may be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.

You are ultimately responsible for the cache so make sure you know the rules for the area where your cache is being placed.

Guest Snowtrail

Sounds like a virtual cache. If there's some kind of identification, have the hunters e-mail you the ID# or such to you as a confirmation of the find.

Once you get permission to place a cache, you can hide it and list the change from virtual to actual cache. You can't lose either way.

[This message has been edited by Snowtrail (edited 04 September 2001).]

Guest donovano

I am planning on using a plane to create a virtual cache (using the ID number as the proof). This way there is no items left so nobody can complain. Oh, ya, the plane is in 60 feet of cold water :-). The water is onl abou 41 degrees (+4 centigrade)in the middle of summer so a good wet suit is required. I think it will have to wait until next June at this point.

Guest HomeChicken

I did a virtual cache at disneyland and did a word document that will only open with the secret password that you get from the multi leg of my Disneyland cache. I got this idea from a fellow Geocacher. I just upload it as a image.

Check out the link in my signature named "Disneyland Geocaching" and then try to open the Achievement Document. Read the description and you'll get an idea how they prove they did it.

Ask me how!

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux 3/3

Urban Jungle 3/3

Rising sun over Chicken Coop 5/5

Disneyland Geocaching 1/1

Can You C What I C? 2/3.5

Need to rate your own Cache?

Geocache Rating System

Guest krappold

The crash is from decades ago and has been cleaned up of important parts by the government long ago. All that is left is the husk.

I don't think it is a problem in this regard.

Kevin

quote:
Originally posted by SCgopher:

Unless it has historical value, a cache located at a plane crash would be disrespectful to the family of the victims (assuming someone died). Also, if the wreckage is still there, someone may take parts of it as souviners. Just my opinion.