How many are there out there??

Broncoholics

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

How many of those looters, trolls, and geotrashers are there out there? How many of you know some by name?

It would be interesting to see a list of known "offenders"! icon_razz.gif

Based on the number of posts I've read, I'd say that there are a lot. There are those who refuse to believe that looters exist, they will tell you that the caches disappear because they were found by accident. That's a lot of accidents. Those of us who hid their caches well and had them disappear know better. While some may be found by accident, some are also looted. Not only are they looted, but I've seen posts where someone has done much worse than loot, I'll spare the details in case anyone is eating while reading this.

I had an idea that possibly could slow some of the looting down. In rethinking my idea I have also come to the conclusion that my idea would also help the website in its' problem with running so slow since a by-product would be no reason to harvest cache page information.

I presented my idea and there was much discussion about it, both in favor and against. I pretty much gave up on arguing about it and consider the subject closed.

However, Jeremy did chime in on the idea. At first he did not like it. Then, he later said he liked the idea and that it would happen, then later I saw another post by Jeremy against the idea. I've become settled with the idea that nothing will be done. The suggested solution is to hide the caches better.

I've taken my solution further. My active ones are hidden better and if they disappear, then they will not be replaced. I won't be placing any caches in the near future, at least not any of the same caliber that I have placed before. If I place any, they will be econimical gladware with dollar store items. After all, it's not about the prizes, it's about the hunt, right?

As far as known offenders, I don't know if any have been caught involuntarily, but I do remember reading posts about a "replacement team" who were bold enough to brag about it. It seems they wanted to expose themselves and it sounds like they were having a lot of fun. More fun than the hiders who were getting frustrated. Maybe as the thrill of finding caches wears off this next level of trashing caches is the thrill that keeps some people involved?

I don't know about listing "offenders". In my mind geocaching is supposed to be a nice-guy family affair sport. If we started pointing fingers and blacklisting people who do that on these boards, it wouldn't make geocaching to friendly or attractive to new cachers. I've seen that happen with the sport of paintball, a lot of people were turned off to it because of people calling each other cheaters.

What's more, What if someone did not like you and started pointing fingers at you when you didn't do anything?

BTW my hometown is Rochester, thank god I moved to CA, now if I wanna see snow, I just drive for about an hour, I don't have to live in it.

KURTULEAS

One other thing about trolls and looters, they like to sit in the background and enjoy from a distance the fruits of their actions. They like to read about people being frustrated and helpless to do anything. Every time someone complains about their cache being looted, it feeds the looters ego. i guess i've been guilty of feeding the trolls myself. The best solution is not to feed them and they will starve.

quote:
I don't know about listing "offenders". In my mind geocaching is supposed to be a nice-guy family affair sport. If we started pointing fingers and blacklisting people who do that on these boards, it wouldn't make geocaching to friendly or attractive to new cachers.

quote:
The best solution is not to feed them and they will starve.

Kurt, I was referring to a team that has already had the finger pointed. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would be upset if someone pointed the finger at us, but if they are not exposed, then they keep on keepin' on. Sounds like we are all in a good place to hide a cache...between a rock and a hard place! icon_frown.gif

Unless...

Cachew Nut, do explain your theory, what do you mean, don't feed them? Just plain ignore them and hope for the best? You got my attention! LOL icon_wink.gif

Either way; both points make sense, yet they contradict. icon_confused.gif

There's that &@^^ rock again! icon_redface.gif

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Those of us who hid their caches well and had them disappear know better. While some may be found by accident, some are also looted.

just because you hid the cache well doesn't mean it wasn't "accidentally" found. Cachers may not do as good a job of putting the cache back, leaving it exposed. They may be discovered while they've got the cache out, giving the discoverer a reason to come back to the area and search for the treasure. They may be seen while they're putting the cache back.

Social trails can get created, making the cache easy to find. People make the mistake of putting food in caches, making them easy for animals to find. Weather and the seasons can conspire to change how well hidden a cache is.

I assume that by "looting" you mean people deliberately using the GPS coordinates from the site to find the cache and then trash it or take its contents, rather than "accidental" discovery and destruction.

I've seen plenty of evidence that discovery and removal happen. I, personally, know of no evidence that "looting" happens, although I don't deny that it is possible.

So I ask: does anyone have anything more than mere circumstantial evidence of looting?