How far do you go?

Hello all

I was wondering how far you go to search for caches? I have my search set for 100 miles of my zip, but if I'm planning a weekend then the skies the limit. Also, what other factors influence your decision to go after a particular cache? The beads and trinkets...the locale,history,scenery...the terrian? I go after any I think I can do, no all day hikes, no climbing gear. If there is a bit of local history to be learned thats a big plus.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to place a cache in what some would consider a "remote" area. Around a small, untouristy town at the end of a 45 mile paved road. The town was a logging town, was full of houses of ill repute and the area is beutiful. Lots of NW history.The main road follows a great fishing river, and great camping spots abound. You can get to the area from different routes, from the highway or different backroad routes.

I was planning on posting a map with different approaches highlighted, and miles back to towns. I also got some decent cache candy and gonna put 4 travel bugs in it, do they influence the decision process?

If this has been posted to death before...Sorry!

"Quit giving the slave drivers pointers..."

What I look for is a few things. My limit is about 60 miles (via GPS) which means it actually could be 75 or so miles with driving. What I look for each day is travel bugs and new cache to be a first find. If there are none I continue to work in a pattern of within the 60 miles.

If there is a cool travel bug I would travel further or if the cache is in a neat place or clever idea I would do the same and find it. Hope this helps.

We only have 14 hidden closer than 50 miles, as the crow flies, here so Ive allready hit quite a few that were further away. I enjoy the country and seeing new sights so this is something that is fun for me. Must say that Ive logged some miles on our vehicles in the last 3 months. Ive done single caches that were over 100 miles one way a couple of different times. Most of the time we try to log several during those long road trips. Spent all day and put right at 400 miles on our longest run over to Louisiana but heck, sure was fun!

"How far do you go?" as a topic header can be somewhat of a letdown when you're really asking "How far would you travel". My hands were shaking as I clicked on the topic only to find out you really aren't asking what I thought you were. icon_wink.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

"How far do you go?" as a topic header can be somewhat of a letdown when you're really asking "How far would you travel". My hands were shaking as I clicked on the topic only to find out you really aren't asking what I thought you were. icon_wink.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Criminal,

You are one sick puppy!

I like that in a human!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Criminal,

You are one sick puppy!

I like that in a human!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Up to a couple weeks ago, I hadn't gone more than 20 miles for a single cache. Multi-cache crazy-days have taken 200-300 miles, but that's for up to 15 caches in one day. Extremophile caught my interest though, big-time, and I drove a 410 mile RT just for that one. (I did manage to fit in a few more on the same day, but would never have done them singly.) Distance-as-the-crow-flies is very deceiving. I can look in a 15 mile radius and get several caches that are well over an hour from my home.

Since there are only 115 in my 100 mile radius, I have to consider them all. My brother who lives in Riverside, CA has over 1,000 in his 100 mile radius, so he might have a different answer.

I try to plan out and hit at least 4 or 5 in the same general area. The only thought I give to difficulty is:

A. I do the hardest ones first while it's cooler and I have more energy.

B. If I need a boat/canoe or other specialized equipment.

I usually won't drive too far for one cache (100 miles or so) unless it is one I really want but even then I will find some along the way. I will drive great distances to find a cluster of several. Last weekend I drove over 800 miles but that was for 49 finds and 1 no find.

I am like BruceS, I will drive a long distance for a cluster. Those 49 (most of them in KY)caches he did that weekend i read the logs and I have done most of or maybe even all of them. allot of them were not easy caches to get to. (BruceS is not human) icon_smile.gif

I do not set a limit and I allways load more waypoints than I can do. I will also set a course and travel in a circle to find caches, just move from cache to cache. if I have the kids with me I will not do a cache out of 100 crow miles that may have a hike longer 1.5 miles, but if I am by myself I will jog there find the cache jog back icon_biggrin.gif

I am like BruceS, I will drive a long distance for a cluster. Those 49 (most of them in KY)caches he did that weekend i read the logs and I have done most of or maybe even all of them. allot of them were not easy caches to get to. (BruceS is not human) icon_smile.gif

I do not set a limit and I allways load more waypoints than I can do. I will also set a course and travel in a circle to find caches, just move from cache to cache. if I have the kids with me I will not do a cache out of 100 crow miles that may have a hike longer 1.5 miles, but if I am by myself I will jog there find the cache jog back icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

(even found one of them twice.

Found twice logged once icon_wink.gif second time was even without gps... had to go back to find it

quote:

That means he'll hit 1,000 this coming weekend.

Probably will stop at 999 this weekend. These will be over 300 driving miles each way from my home. Next week I will revisit my first. (500 feet from my office) And will find my 1,000th sometime the following weekend, cache yet to be determined.

quote:

(even found one of them twice.

Found twice logged once icon_wink.gif second time was even without gps... had to go back to find it

quote:

That means he'll hit 1,000 this coming weekend.

Probably will stop at 999 this weekend. These will be over 300 driving miles each way from my home. Next week I will revisit my first. (500 feet from my office) And will find my 1,000th sometime the following weekend, cache yet to be determined.

We are all anxious for BruceS' 1,000th find. In fact, we have a count down running on our geocaching web site. A bunch of us from the St. Louis area plan to tag along on that particular hunt and we'll have plenty of digital cameras documenting the event.

quote:
Originally posted by edgydrifter:

The reason I'm asking is because I want to place a cache in what some would consider a "remote" area. Around a small, untouristy town at the end of a 45 mile paved road. The town was a logging town, was full of houses of ill repute and the area is beutiful. Lots of NW history.The main road follows a great fishing river, and great camping spots abound. You can get to the area from different routes, from the highway or different backroad routes.

."

Do I smell the ST. Joe? Does the town start with an A? I bet the huckelberries are almost ripe on Moon Pass by now. I say place it, it will give me an excuse to get the fly rod out.

quote:
Originally posted by edgydrifter:

Hello all

I was wondering how far you go to search for caches? I have my search set for 100 miles of my zip, but if I'm planning a weekend then the skies the limit. Also, what other factors influence your decision to go after a particular cache? The beads

There are 672 caches within 70 miles of my zip code so that's what my circle is. That's not a hard and fast rule though because if I see a good cluster of caches just outside of that radius or anywhere in New Jersey, I'll go bag 'em.

If I'm able to get away for the weekend, I'll travel 200-300 miles to an unexplored area and stay overnight. Might go caching in Rhode Island again if I have the opportunity to do so.

Do I smell the ST. Joe? Does the town start with an A? I bet the huckelberries are almost ripe on Moon Pass by now. I say place it, it will give me an excuse to get the fly rod out

Ok...you've found the cache BEFORE I placed it...that must be some kinda record. I haven't been up to Moon Pass in years...maybe...err...nevermind. icon_biggrin.gif

Do I smell the ST. Joe? Does the town start with an A? I bet the huckelberries are almost ripe on Moon Pass by now. I say place it, it will give me an excuse to get the fly rod out

Ok...you've found the cache BEFORE I placed it...that must be some kinda record. I haven't been up to Moon Pass in years...maybe...err...nevermind. icon_biggrin.gif