Geocaching, Sport or Game?

I know many people refer to Geocaching as a game. The site supplied Geocache letter also calls it a game. But I've heard others call Geocaching a sport.

The distinction is important in one respect. I believe it would be taken less seriously by land managers if it's called a game. For those who are seeking approval to place caches, has this been an issue?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I know many people refer to Geocaching as a game. The site supplied Geocache letter also calls it a game. But I've heard others call Geocaching a sport.

The distinction is important in one respect. I believe it would be taken less seriously by land managers if it's called a game. For those who are seeking approval to place caches, has this been an issue?

The best distinction I've come across to tell the difference between a sport or a game is if you were to take away the rules, could you still play?

As an example Baseball is a game, without the rules it's meaningless. Skiing is a sport, there are rules if you race but you don't need them to participate.

Checkers, football, scrabble, darts.... games.

Running, cycling, swimming, ..... sports.

Geocaching...... ?????

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
The best distinction I've come across to tell the difference between a sport or a game is if you were to take away the rules, could you still play?

As an example Baseball is a game, without the rules it's meaningless. Skiing is a sport, there are rules if you race but you don't need them to participate.

Geocaching...... ?????

george

By George, I think you nailed it. icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:

Geocaching...... ?????

george

By George, I think you nailed it. icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Geocaching...... ?????

george

I'm a little leary of a definition that would make Baseball a 'game', but would make standing up, walking to the store, or impressing teen age boys with flattulance a 'sport'... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it seems more like you distinction is not so much about rules, but about the presense of competition. When you compete against other snowboard enthusiasts, you generally set rules, a context to compete in - you have a winter X-game. When you snowboard for enjoyment, there are generally still rules (even in remote alpine areas), but no competition - so you have a winter sport.

But, even competition does not give a clear distinction. Climbers generally follow some 'rules', even when competing only with themselves (if I pull on a draw, it is 'aid', not 'free'..., etc.) And the 'sport' (as many refer to it) can be very competitive, even outside of formal competitions (climbs are usually rated by consensus, and everyone cares about 'grade', at least a little, even if they say they don't).

But, on point, I'd say that Geocaching is a 'game' to those who take the numbers, etc. competitively, and a 'recreational activity' to the rest of us. I've referred to it as a 'sport', but I hadn't really thought about the semantics.

Further, I'd say it matters not one iota to land managers. A recreational activity might be preferrable to a 'game', since the competition often takes center stage (if you are tromping through the woods at midnight, you are probably looking to score the ammo box, not enjoy the area). But, ultimately, it is not what it is called, but how it is pursued in a given area that will most influence land managers.

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Geocaching...... ?????

george

I'm a little leary of a definition that would make Baseball a 'game', but would make standing up, walking to the store, or impressing teen age boys with flattulance a 'sport'... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it seems more like you distinction is not so much about rules, but about the presense of competition. When you compete against other snowboard enthusiasts, you generally set rules, a context to compete in - you have a winter X-game. When you snowboard for enjoyment, there are generally still rules (even in remote alpine areas), but no competition - so you have a winter sport.

But, even competition does not give a clear distinction. Climbers generally follow some 'rules', even when competing only with themselves (if I pull on a draw, it is 'aid', not 'free'..., etc.) And the 'sport' (as many refer to it) can be very competitive, even outside of formal competitions (climbs are usually rated by consensus, and everyone cares about 'grade', at least a little, even if they say they don't).

But, on point, I'd say that Geocaching is a 'game' to those who take the numbers, etc. competitively, and a 'recreational activity' to the rest of us. I've referred to it as a 'sport', but I hadn't really thought about the semantics.

Further, I'd say it matters not one iota to land managers. A recreational activity might be preferrable to a 'game', since the competition often takes center stage (if you are tromping through the woods at midnight, you are probably looking to score the ammo box, not enjoy the area). But, ultimately, it is not what it is called, but how it is pursued in a given area that will most influence land managers.

-jjf

My Webster's(Third College Edition) has for its first definition of "game": "any form of play or way of playing; amusement; recreation; sport; frolic [? Yes, it does say frolic.]; play."

I suppose one could find older dictionaries with narrower definitions. But language is fluid, and constantly evolves - whether we like it or not.

I grew up calling all soft drinks "cokes". Today there are many, many others who do so similarly.

I vote for "game".

"Sport" doesn't feel right.

I will protest vigorously against "frolic" however.

RobertLG

sport (spôrt, sport) noun

1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

2. An active pastime; recreation.

game (gâm) noun

1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.

2. a. A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.

hob·by (hòb¹ê) noun

plural hob·bies

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

ac·tiv·i·ty (àk-tîv¹î-tê) noun

plural ac·tiv·i·ties

Energetic action or movement; liveliness.

Jfitzpat,

quote:
...impressing teen age boys with flattulance ...

I wish to take extreme exception to this statement. I spent over half my high-school years (and a good part of college) pursuing the perfecting of this sport (hereafter referred to as: Flatuation Infatuation or FI. icon_biggrin.gif )

FI has been a great part of my life since about fifteen hundred; and that's darn near four-score and seven, daylight savings time...

FI has alleviated me from bloating, floating, high-stool and shortness of pants. It kept me out of the Army and several twelve-step programs.

I suspect that my high life-style is in part or full due directly or indirectly to FI, and I don't want no stinkin' badmouthin' of the sport / game that I grew up with and still enjoy when the old frat boys come over for a beer!

Heck fire, my dad was one of the biggest contributors to this activity ever (although he was unaware he was participating in a sport!)

Yeah, I like Geocaching: as a hobby; BUT, real men all should enjoy the relief and utter wonderment of having cranked off a real paint-peeler in front of friend or neighbor! What a reaction you can get that no mere "finding of a cache" can duplicate. Some run in terror, others stare in disbelief, still others laugh or join in the chorus!

As a matter of a fact, I like to rip one off just as I find a cache, and my pleasure is greatly increased! (Albeit to the chagrin of my fellow cachers with me!)

Let's have no more of this low-browing my favorite past-time, sport, game and after-dinner activity: FI! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

maj-gps.gif

majicman

Jfitzpat,

quote:
...impressing teen age boys with flattulance ...

I wish to take extreme exception to this statement. I spent over half my high-school years (and a good part of college) pursuing the perfecting of this sport (hereafter referred to as: Flatuation Infatuation or FI. icon_biggrin.gif )

FI has been a great part of my life since about fifteen hundred; and that's darn near four-score and seven, daylight savings time...

FI has alleviated me from bloating, floating, high-stool and shortness of pants. It kept me out of the Army and several twelve-step programs.

I suspect that my high life-style is in part or full due directly or indirectly to FI, and I don't want no stinkin' badmouthin' of the sport / game that I grew up with and still enjoy when the old frat boys come over for a beer!

Heck fire, my dad was one of the biggest contributors to this activity ever (although he was unaware he was participating in a sport!)

Yeah, I like Geocaching: as a hobby; BUT, real men all should enjoy the relief and utter wonderment of having cranked off a real paint-peeler in front of friend or neighbor! What a reaction you can get that no mere "finding of a cache" can duplicate. Some run in terror, others stare in disbelief, still others laugh or join in the chorus!

As a matter of a fact, I like to rip one off just as I find a cache, and my pleasure is greatly increased! (Albeit to the chagrin of my fellow cachers with me!)

Let's have no more of this low-browing my favorite past-time, sport, game and after-dinner activity: FI! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

maj-gps.gif

majicman

I'm sure some (many) will take offense at your post, but I find toilet humor always funny. I have a three year old daughter, and she finds body functions funny naturally. I try to teach her some manners and ladylike behavior, but I find myself laughing along with her every time. Every time my daughter passes gas, my wife tells me that she must be my daughter. icon_biggrin.gif

I think it is good wholesome family fun if taken in the right spirit.

If your definition is correct, then maybe I was good at sports in high school.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

I'm sure some (many) will take offense at your post, but I find toilet humor always funny. I have a three year old daughter, and she finds body functions funny naturally. I try to teach her some manners and ladylike behavior, but I find myself laughing along with her every time. Every time my daughter passes gas, my wife tells me that she must be my daughter. icon_biggrin.gif

I think it is good wholesome family fun if taken in the right spirit.

If your definition is correct, then maybe I was good at sports in high school.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

The Heavenly Host,

Actually, I was trying to anathematize the idea that he proposed in a humurous but satirical way...

But, I hope I was being didactic...

Hmmm, I haven't been cursed, in the purely greek sense, for sometime. icon_smile.gif

I did find your comments informative, but the moral point elluded me... icon_wink.gif

However, I think you missunderstood. I was questioning a standard that would relegate the activity to a mere 'sport'.

'Sport' just seems too trivial a term for a fundemental male religious affection, or theology, if you will. Bodily functions are a central focus of male life. And, I think we can agree, this is, in fact, the Holy Grail of bodily functions.

However, I must disagree with you on one point. REAL men combine this activity with fire. In fact, REAL men combine all activities with fire, junk food, and/or power tools whenever possible.

Yours in gastric distress,

-jjf

quote:

The Heavenly Host,

Actually, I was trying to anathematize the idea that he proposed in a humurous but satirical way...

But, I hope I was being didactic...

Hmmm, I haven't been cursed, in the purely greek sense, for sometime. icon_smile.gif

I did find your comments informative, but the moral point elluded me... icon_wink.gif

However, I think you missunderstood. I was questioning a standard that would relegate the activity to a mere 'sport'.

'Sport' just seems too trivial a term for a fundemental male religious affection, or theology, if you will. Bodily functions are a central focus of male life. And, I think we can agree, this is, in fact, the Holy Grail of bodily functions.

However, I must disagree with you on one point. REAL men combine this activity with fire. In fact, REAL men combine all activities with fire, junk food, and/or power tools whenever possible.

-jjf

Using Alan2's definitions (and others I've found), Geocaching is more a sport than a game.

The difference is because it (usually) involves physical activity. I know it's a semantic matter, but to me a game connotes a somewhat frivolous activity, while a sport is a more serious endeavor.

I thought that some land managers may have the same prejudice.

As you can see from many definitions posted, the terms "sport" and "game" are not mutually exclusive. There are four possible answers:

1. Sport

2. Game

3. Both

4. Neither

My answer is number 3.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Living in a house full of males, I agree that "FI" is a sport. Rarely do I see people participate in any activity with such total abandon... well, maybe not TOTAL abadon. After all, lack of control makes for messy laundry days - an important point that seems to be lost on my two young sons.

This is off-topic (in a sense): have any of the older (by that I mean older than 35 years) people noticed how lax our society has become in regard to expulsion of bodily gases, including belching? I know that in other countries it is considered rude NOT to belch during and after a meal, but Western Euro/North American sensibilities have always leaned toward stiffling natural urges. So, instead of celebrating our lack of anal retentive-ness, our ability to healthily remove potentially harmful gases from our biological loop, we suppress, mask, hide and in general, make excuses for something that our bodies were built to do.

I for one have a difficult time not giggling when my five-year old shouts out "Mom! I just farted!" in a crowded restaurant, or belches loudly and then exclaims, in an equally robust fashion, "Excuse Me!"

Back on topic:

I like to think of Geocaching as a sport. Though the general consensus seems to be that it isn't competitive (yeah - okay), there are rules of a sort. Though it does share a number of elements to scavenger hunting, capture the flag and other games... I will still refer to it, even if I must do so under my breath, as a sport. Thank you for asking! It is something that has been discussed at home. I'm glad to see it come up here.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Several years ago in high school, a friend of mine was a rower on the crew team; mainly because we didn't like the coaches/teachers of the team, the rest of us teased him constantly about being in what he called a sport. In an effort to prove him wrong, another friend looked up the definition of "sport" in the dictionary, which said that to be a sport, the activity required defense, among other things. Since ramming another team's boat, which would have been illegal, was about the only defense we could think of, we decided that rowing was not a sport.

So, is there any defense in geocaching? Unless you tackled another cacher who was about to find a cache before you did, probably not. By my long-held definition of "sport", geocaching is not one. But with as much fun as I've had, I'm willing to forget about that definition, and call caching a sport. Or at least a pseudo-sport/activity/game (sport is shorter though. icon_smile.gif)

As for FI, I still love it! Sure its crude, but its funny! What parts make people laugh the most in comedies? The toilet humor! My mom used to tell me that I needed to grow out of that sort of thing, but I never did. I still remember the farting contests my roommate and I used to have during my undergrad days...

Several years ago in high school, a friend of mine was a rower on the crew team; mainly because we didn't like the coaches/teachers of the team, the rest of us teased him constantly about being in what he called a sport. In an effort to prove him wrong, another friend looked up the definition of "sport" in the dictionary, which said that to be a sport, the activity required defense, among other things. Since ramming another team's boat, which would have been illegal, was about the only defense we could think of, we decided that rowing was not a sport.

So, is there any defense in geocaching? Unless you tackled another cacher who was about to find a cache before you did, probably not. By my long-held definition of "sport", geocaching is not one. But with as much fun as I've had, I'm willing to forget about that definition, and call caching a sport. Or at least a pseudo-sport/activity/game (sport is shorter though. icon_smile.gif)

As for FI, I still love it! Sure its crude, but its funny! What parts make people laugh the most in comedies? The toilet humor! My mom used to tell me that I needed to grow out of that sort of thing, but I never did. I still remember the farting contests my roommate and I used to have during my undergrad days...

Does an activity have to be either a sport or a game? How about simply a pasttime? It seems to me that a game suggests some kind of competition(Heavins no, geocaching is too sacred for a competition!) and a sport suggests some kind of physical challenge(way too many 1 1's and locationless out there to be that challenging physically). So lets just call it a pasttime and those who want to compete for numbers or whatever can do it as a game, and those who climb mountains or whatever can do it as a sport. In short, it is whatever you want it to be, so stop trying to label it and go do it.

Well, I put my mouth entirely around my foot, when I said something about opposing "frolic" as a name for the game/sport/activity/past-time...

Sorry Mr. Frolickin for the unintended insult. Please forgive me.

I hearby formally submit Frolicking as a legal alternative to game/sport/activity/past-time...

Robert(red-faced)LG

For me, it's a game I play for sport (just kidding).

When talking to park directors I use "recreational activity" (for geocaching, not FI). For everyone else I use "sport (again, for geocaching). But when I looked up "pastime" it says "an activity that occupies one's spare time pleasantly". Boy, that just about nails it!

As far as FI, it is practiced by men and women equally. On average about 16 times a day (most often while sleeping -- who the heck studies this stuff?). Though I have noticed that I can keep my average up if I drink carbonated beverages.

quote:
Hmmm, I haven't been cursed, in the purely greek sense, for sometime.

I did find your comments informative, but the moral point elluded me...

(snip)

Bodily functions are a central focus of male life. And, I think we can agree, this is, in fact, the Holy Grail of bodily functions.

-jjf

JJF - boy, I didn't mean to drag this thread into an entirely deeper mudhole, per se, but I seem to have done so (sorry to the originator.)

I agree with you whole-heartedly (and other organly-ness) that real men do / should combine "fire", junk food and power tools whenever possible with ALL of their activities, including the infamous FI. I had a tempoarary cerebral-flatulation icon_eek.gif incident which fogged my mind and I was unable to think clearly during that original post...

I stand corrected, (and flat-footed.)

maj-gps.gif

majicman

quote:
Hmmm, I haven't been cursed, in the purely greek sense, for sometime.

I did find your comments informative, but the moral point elluded me...

(snip)

Bodily functions are a central focus of male life. And, I think we can agree, this is, in fact, the Holy Grail of bodily functions.

-jjf

JJF - boy, I didn't mean to drag this thread into an entirely deeper mudhole, per se, but I seem to have done so (sorry to the originator.)

I agree with you whole-heartedly (and other organly-ness) that real men do / should combine "fire", junk food and power tools whenever possible with ALL of their activities, including the infamous FI. I had a tempoarary cerebral-flatulation icon_eek.gif incident which fogged my mind and I was unable to think clearly during that original post...

I stand corrected, (and flat-footed.)

maj-gps.gif

majicman

quote:
Living in a house full of males, I agree that "FI" is a sport. Rarely do I see people participate in any activity with such total abandon... well, maybe not TOTAL abadon. After all, lack of control makes for messy laundry days - an important point that seems to be lost on my two young sons.

This is off-topic (in a sense): have any of the older (by that I mean older than 35 years) people noticed how lax our society has become in regard to expulsion of bodily gases, including belching? I know that in other countries it is considered rude NOT to belch during and after a meal, but Western Euro/North American sensibilities have always leaned toward stiffling natural urges. So, instead of celebrating our lack of anal retentive-ness, our ability to healthily remove potentially harmful gases from our biological loop, we suppress, mask, hide and in general, make excuses for something that our bodies were built to do.

I for one have a difficult time not giggling when my five-year old shouts out "Mom! I just farted!" in a crowded restaurant, or belches loudly and then exclaims, in an equally robust fashion, "Excuse Me!"

GeoGadgets Team,

I agree with your assessment (pun intended) of the American FI predicament.

Thanks for your input (pun?) regarding the off-topic FI sportiness. That was as funny as my original denegration and instigation, I believe.

Beans to you!

maj-gps.gif

majicman

I've naturally called it a sport sice the day I started. Can't really say why, but it just feels right to me. In my mind, golf, football, mountain biking, and geocaching (oh, yah, and skydiving of course) are all sports. Chess, monopoly, and darts are games. I think it depends entirely on each individual's mindset whether they call it sport, game, both, or other.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

If I'm doing a virtual, then I tend to think of the sport as a game. When I'm hiking through the muck to get to a cache, then the game is a sport.

I've also called it a hobby, but never a pastime. That sounds too much like something an old guy would do( icon_wink.gif . Any way you slice it, it's just plain old fun to me!

If I'm doing a virtual, then I tend to think of the sport as a game. When I'm hiking through the muck to get to a cache, then the game is a sport.

I've also called it a hobby, but never a pastime. That sounds too much like something an old guy would do( icon_wink.gif . Any way you slice it, it's just plain old fun to me!

I like game. We take our toys out and find the "treasure" to trade then come back to our keyboards and brag about how brave we were. Our competition? Ourselves. I also like game because, and this may just apply to me, I need more fun in my life - I needed to "lighten up" and this game has helped that. Not to mention the enjoyment I get out of reading the posts and visiting with the very nice people that are geocachers. So - for me - it is a game. icon_cool.gif

I like game. We take our toys out and find the "treasure" to trade then come back to our keyboards and brag about how brave we were. Our competition? Ourselves. I also like game because, and this may just apply to me, I need more fun in my life - I needed to "lighten up" and this game has helped that. Not to mention the enjoyment I get out of reading the posts and visiting with the very nice people that are geocachers. So - for me - it is a game. icon_cool.gif

quote:

My own 'sorry' to the originator. Still, I think everyone should get dragged into the mud once in awhile. I grew up in Iowa. I can safely say that mucking pigs is almost always a sure fire cure for feelings of self importance... icon_smile.gif

-jjf

quote:

My own 'sorry' to the originator. Still, I think everyone should get dragged into the mud once in awhile. I grew up in Iowa. I can safely say that mucking pigs is almost always a sure fire cure for feelings of self importance... icon_smile.gif

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It's a hobby.

There are people who want to make it competitive, and they can compete with themselves, but it's just something to pass time and an excuse to get outside.

One may call it a game that may require the use of one or more sports. If you need to Scuba dive, mountain bike, climb or orienteer with a topo, then you are participating in a game which requires sports disciplines to accomplish.

I think it is up to the cacher how close he/she takes it becoming a sport. icon_confused.gif