Univ. of CA brown recluse information

Ya, the recluse is pretty nasty. I've had a co-worker bit by something of the genre, and it was not a pretty sight. icon_frown.gif Took several weeks to fully heal, but then it may have been some secondary infection going on.

I've certainly put my hand through enough spider webs to give me pause. Black Widows are my main concern in this neck of the woods, but so far (knock on wood), I've been lucky.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I'm surprised that the map does not encompass the state of Florida also... We definately have them here too. I have seen several envenomation and the necrosis can be quite extensive.

BTW we have black widows here too...

And then there are poisonous snakes and of course the Florida state bird - The Mosquito!

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

mystats.php?userid=Doc-Dean&vopt=user&txtdata=I%20am%20Still%20Ignoring%20Stats!!&bgcol=3333ff&fgcol=ffff99

I don't know why it isn't offered and encouraged for people to get a vaccination. IIRC, venom is a protein that one can develop antibodies to. I know of at least one guy who handles snakes and developed a partial immunity both by accidental bites and a regimen of shots. I'm sure most would say it is too much trouble, but I would like the choice.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

I'm surprised that the map does not encompass the state of Florida also... We definately have them here too. I have seen several envenomation and the necrosis can be quite extensive.

BTW we have black widows here too...

And then there are poisonous snakes and of course the Florida state bird - The Mosquito!

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/30296_400.gif

http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

I know we have black widows in Florida -- I periodically find some in my garage icon_eek.gif -- but are you sure about brown recluse icon_confused.gif

As the article notes, there are many, many, many cases in California attributed to this spider that are incorrectly diagnosed. Perhaps the same here?

I'd like to think this is the case. Then I'll just not geocache in the shaded area on the map and forget about these critters icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RuffRidr:

Great! Arkansas seems to be smack dab in the middle of that map. Does that mean the highest concentration is here? I haven't seen one myself, but then I haven't lived here very long either. I have seen a lot of big spiders, tho.

--RuffRidr

RuffRidr -- Very nice avatar !! (yes, I know, don't talk about avatars in this thread)

Thank you so much for posting that map. Ever since the pictures of that guys thumb were posted I've been worried! But my friend was bitten by something once on the back of his neck, and it looked like someone had put a cigar out on his neck. It took a really long time to heal. So I'll still be careful!

Planet

I use a reach and grab that has a hook and a handle, about 2 1/2 feet long for getting some of these questionable caches. One had a black widow (latrodectus mactan) about as big as a nickle that was some kind of pfffttthhh about my disturbing it's home under the cache. Handle did a fine job at beating the insecta into the folage background. Might consider one of these to add to your back pack to drag out a cache.

The one i use is:

http://www.beabletodo.com/Detail.bok?searchpath=a0a0a0ef8404b29d28c&category=Reachers&start=1&total=5&no=12

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?