Cacher License Plates

Guest bunkerdave

Guest bunkerdave

I am thinking about getting a geocaching-related personalized license plate. I know there are some great ideas out there. Anyone care to share? I have a few ideas, but if you would not mind sharing, I might like yours better. The only rules are, I guess, that it can only have seven alphanumeric characters, with one punctuation. (period, apostrophe, hyphen, etc.) I appreciate the ideas.

------------------

David Wallentine

dwallent34@yahoo.com

Guest The 19th

Here are some specifically for bunkerddave:

BNKRDAV

GCBDAVE

UTCACHR

CACHNUT (Cache in UT or Cache Nut)

and for some more generic ones:

GOTWAAS

HDDMMSS

HDDMMMM

GPSFIND

GPSHUNT

or how about this... ROT-13 any of the suggestions on this thread. hehe...

Guest martinp13

I hate you people with 7 characters to work with! icon_smile.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

I hate you people with 7 characters to work with! icon_smile.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest bunkerdave

I love your ideas. I had already downloaded and printed off the form, and penciled in CACHE ME for my first choice, BNKRDVE for my second, and CACHE IT for the 3rd. Did I mention that periods and hyphen do not count as a space, but spaces do? That means that you can do two words with 7 letters total, and have a separation using a hyphen or period. Obviously, this is just Utah. Others states may be different. I am going to order one soon, so keep 'em coming! This is great.

Just for fun, there is a website where you can see what your place will look like (Utah) and it will even check to see if the plate you want is available.

Check out:

http://www.utah.gov/serv/upps

It even lets you choose which plate you want.

Guest bunkerdave

I use a Magellan Map 330 (with WAAS, of course)

How about MAGELL-N

or MAP 330

or GPS-1

UTCACH-R (Remember, Hyphens don't count against you.

I have noticed a lot of good ways to use numbers as letters/words. ONe I came up with a while ago (unrelated to GPS):

IH8RDNX (See if you can decipher this one)

How about IH8GRMN (Just kidding - they make a great unit)

or CACH-BGR (Cache-bagger)

maybe NAVIG8-R

Lots of fun.

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

I guess the Cach-U-Nuts are outta luck here in Utah, as far as becoming personally licensed. Ha! At least we were able to register the domain name. Can other states really use more than 7 charaters? It's only fitting that Bunker Dave be the 1st w/personal plates here in the #1 caching state! These ideas are great! Can't wait to see the ole subaru all personalized! Go BD

Guest bunkerdave

Since there is no way anyone can steal my plate now, I will tell you: I went with the "GPSHUNT" plate. (Hope you don't mind, Mr. Mathis.) I wanted to put a space in there, but I only get 7. I figured that Caching is still a new enough sport that alot of people would not know what it was unless I put "GPS" in there somewhere. It will go well with my "THIS VEHICLE STOPS AT ALL GEO-CACHES" bumper sticker. Made it myself. cool.gif

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Since there is no way anyone can steal my plate now, I will tell you: I went with the "GPSHUNT" plate. (Hope you don't mind, Mr. Mathis.)

Mind? I love it!

I'd like to see our cars parked next to each other with the same plate. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Since there is no way anyone can steal my plate now, I will tell you: I went with the "GPSHUNT" plate. (Hope you don't mind, Mr. Mathis.)

Mind? I love it!

I'd like to see our cars parked next to each other with the same plate. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by c.mathis:

Mind? I love it!

I hope that someday soon there will be a National Geocachers Rendezvous where I can meet some of the original cachers who started this sport and got it going. Maybe even Jeremy would attend and be the guest of honor. Guest? Heck, he's gotta be the MC.

I can't wait to get the plates - got yours yet?

Hey, what if we staged a rendezvous in Sturgis on the same week as the Harley Owner's Group gathering? I bet we could teach them a thing or two about navigation.

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by c.mathis:

Mind? I love it!

I hope that someday soon there will be a National Geocachers Rendezvous where I can meet some of the original cachers who started this sport and got it going. Maybe even Jeremy would attend and be the guest of honor. Guest? Heck, he's gotta be the MC.

I can't wait to get the plates - got yours yet?

Hey, what if we staged a rendezvous in Sturgis on the same week as the Harley Owner's Group gathering? I bet we could teach them a thing or two about navigation.

Guest jeremy

I just bought a Vespa. Do you think I'd get some strange looks at Sturgis?

Heh icon_smile.gif

I'll probably try and get vanity plates for it, but I think motorcycle/scooter plates have less letters (6 to be exact). Perhaps ICACHE would be appropriate.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

Heh icon_smile.gif

I'll probably try and get vanity plates for it, but I think motorcycle/scooter plates have less letters (6 to be exact). Perhaps ICACHE would be appropriate.

Jeremy

Guest Anton

In this state at least, if you're licensed by the FCC as an amateur radio operator, you can get a license plate with your ham radio call sign on it. Since this is in the same category as firemen, EMTs and doctors, the charge is minimal compared to the the custom or "vanity" plates. So, my plates read: N2RUD. Althought I'd like to have Geocaching plates, I had to work way too hard for my ham license to give them up!

Few other hobbies go better with geocaching than ham radio - a GPS receiver IS a radio. For example, I use the mobile radio in my truck when I need directions from the locals, not so much to get to a cache area, but for recommendations for places to eat, or maybe to get to a nearby store where I can buy batteries. If I were going geocaching with a group where some of the other players were hams, we could chat on the way. And since I've started geocaching, I have told the geocaching story to many other hams, with the hope of recruiting them into the game. Since hams already enjoy playing with radios, understand how the equipment works, and may already own a GPS, it isn't hard to get their interest!

FYI, did you know that most of the people who originally created the Internet, and those who built the GPS satellite system are amateur radio operators. And most of the NASA astronauts are hams, too. Yup. In fact, with a ham license, YOU can chat with the folks on the Shuttle and International Space Station.

Think about making your next gadget purchase a ham radio, preferably a 2-meter FM handheld or mobile radio. Pick up a study book at Radio Shack. Take the two basic licensing exams you need to pass (75%) to get your license - a total of only 55 multiple choice questions altogether. Then get to know the local hams on the 2-meter repeater stations (work like cell phones) in your town. You'll be glad you did. The next time your vehicle breaks down, or you get hungry in a strange town, call a ham for help. Their a friendly bunch, like me.

Anton 11H/16F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 29 July 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Jeremy

No stranger than the looks I always get as I walk in circles squinting at a blue/green box and a PDA as I mutter encrypted hints to myself. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Jeremy

No stranger than the looks I always get as I walk in circles squinting at a blue/green box and a PDA as I mutter encrypted hints to myself. icon_biggrin.gif