Rituals and Superstitions?

If I don't check the batteries on the GPS before I leave the house (I know that I put new ones in just yesterday icon_confused.gif), then I can be assured of scrambling to find the cache before the GPS gives up the ghost.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I forgot I started this one a long time ago...

Since then I come up with my own rituals before each cache.

Always grab fresh batteries out of the charger.

Always remember to HotSyc the Handspring so pages are fresh.

Always upload the latest Pocketsearch files onto the gps before heading out the door.

Batteries, Handspring, and loaded waypoints are all I need.

Cache ON!

george

I have a crushable wool felt fedora that I keep in the back of my truck. I nearly always wear it while caching, to keep dirt, spiders, et cetera out of my hair and to keep my scalp from getting sunburned. After our first few caching trips resulted in high success rates, I started referring to that hat as my "lucky caching hat." It's high summer now, and time to switch to my straw fedora for summer . . . but somehow I haven't managed to do it yet . . .

I have a bad ankle that I have injured seven times in the last sixteen years - just before several of those injuries, I have caught myself thinking, "It would really suck if I slipped and hurt my ankle" at that particular time and place. Wouldn't you know it, the last time (just two weeks ago) was while I was out caching - luckily we were just a few hundred yards up the trail from the parking lot and I had my hiking stick with me, so gimping back to the truck wasn't too bad. But I have to really forcibly stop myself whenever I find myself climbing a hill or crossing a stream and thinking, "Boy, it would really suck if I turned my ankle here . . ."

quote:
Originally posted by Ken & Robin:

...but nearly everytime I find a cache, it makes me want to pee. Before we open the container, I have to wander off and do my duty.

I'm not the only one! Of course, for me, its on the way to the cache; there's just something about being out on a trail and wandering around in the woods, that fills my bladder super fast... My girlfriend gets mad that I can relieve myself so easily, and she has to hold it (no leaves for her. icon_smile.gif)

quote:
Originally posted by Ken & Robin:

...but nearly everytime I find a cache, it makes me want to pee. Before we open the container, I have to wander off and do my duty.

I'm not the only one! Of course, for me, its on the way to the cache; there's just something about being out on a trail and wandering around in the woods, that fills my bladder super fast... My girlfriend gets mad that I can relieve myself so easily, and she has to hold it (no leaves for her. icon_smile.gif)

wouldn't ya know it? Yesterday we thought we'd squeeze in one more cache before heading home... but no one wanted to carry the back pack... so we took out only the few things we knew we'd need and carried them in our pocket.

Well, we took longer than we expected... and it turns out that the first time we left the flashlight in the car was the first time we needed it...

Tara P

When I have trouble locking onto sats or getting enough reception due to tree cover or whatever else I often perform the sacred gps reception dance. My caching partner thinks im crazy but i swear it really works. The dance sort of looks like a cross between an ancient tribal dance and a cow being hit by a car. I'm still perfecting it but I can usually use it get about 2-3 extra sats. I am not really sure if it can be classified as superstition since it seems to be pretty effective at scaring away those evil anti-caching spirits but it works for me. icon_smile.gif

When I have trouble locking onto sats or getting enough reception due to tree cover or whatever else I often perform the sacred gps reception dance. My caching partner thinks im crazy but i swear it really works. The dance sort of looks like a cross between an ancient tribal dance and a cow being hit by a car. I'm still perfecting it but I can usually use it get about 2-3 extra sats. I am not really sure if it can be classified as superstition since it seems to be pretty effective at scaring away those evil anti-caching spirits but it works for me. icon_smile.gif

wouldn't ya know it? Yesterday we thought we'd squeeze in one more cache before heading home... but no one wanted to carry the back pack... so we took out only the few things we knew we'd need and carried them in our pocket.<BR><BR>Well, we took longer than we expected... and it turns out that the first time we left the flashlight in the car was the first time we needed it...<BR><BR>Tara P

Just hope the cache has one:

Once I got to checkpoint four, my duties as Trail Sweep for the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge were finally over. After getting to the end and enjoying some food and a free tee shirt, I wanted to just sit back and relax.

But, after walking just over 9 miles and sitting in the cold night air I felt my legs starting to tense up. Fearing the worst I knew that if I stayed sitting I would not get up.

So I started walking down the RCT a little while before wondering if there was a cache around here.

So I started towards it, and had fun on my way down. I found the cache quickly and sat there a bit. Then I noticed that it was dark.

It should not have been a shock, but it snuck up on me. I was a little worried because I left my pack up at the shelter. No food or water, no cell phone if I got hurt. I was closing the cache when i spotted the flashlight. I had to debate for a while, I had nothing to trade.

Finally I decided that my life was worth the guilt I would feel for not trading up and I grabbed it. I can honestly say that without it I may not have made it out in one piece. The cache area was just too dangerous, and I would have broken something when I slipped and fell.

I made it back to the end as everyone was leaving, and sat down a while to wait for my ride.

Whenever I come back to this great park, I will be sure to bring some trades, and stock that cache full

Joe Smith

And on another note, good to see you posting TVP

Havn't seen your logs around in a while

And on another note, good to see you posting TVP

Havn't seen your logs around in a while

Sorry, Joe Smith - I didn't mean to create confusion when I bumped this old thread. I don't think RainbowTVP has actually posted anything since Sept 2002. Hasn't signed onto the site since last October.

I guess now I'll be superstitious about bumping really old threads. :anitongue: