Cache ideas...

RainbowTVP

I am planning to hide my first cache... and came up with a couple of ideas, and I wonder if anyone has done any like these and I have a question.

Idea #1 "Choose Your Own Adventure" type where at each of the first few multicache sites, you read part of a story, then get 2 choices of actions, each with a set of coordinates- which will lead you to another story segment, plus more coordinates, eventually leading to the cache. I planned it out, and have done it so all choices will lead to the cache- no dead-ends, but the story will be different, and some of the choices would make the trip longer... There would be at least 4 stops, a maximum of 7.

Idea #2 is the more complicated of my ideas... does anyone remember the Scott Adams text games? I was thinking of a cache similar to the one above, except- at the first few caches, there would be game pieces- like matches, a knife, rope, key (these would be printouts, not actual items)- the trick is you acn only carry a certain # of items at a time (like 4) and wouldn't know for sure which items you might need... Of course, this would be on the honor system icon_smile.gif

As you get to subsequent caches, you will need some items, for instance- you need to build a fire, there need matches- the backs of the pieces would each have 1/2 the coordinates (ie 1/2 would be on the fire, 1/2 on the matches) to get you to the next cache. Okay- it sounds complicated, but like something I would like to look for.

Can anyone point me to any that are at all like those? Would they sound like something you would be interested in searching for?

What is the average # of caches in a multicache; what is the maximum amount you have encountered or would consider reasonable?

The only one I have found so far that is like these, would be this one

I guess it kind of inspired me...

Tara P

Tara P

Tara, there is clearly an appetite here in the Pittsburgh area for more "creative" caches! In addition to GeoNav's cool "Harmonist's Hold" cache that you linked to, if you haven't done so yet, check out the logs for my Elves in the Heights Cache or for PA Bug Troop's Frisbee Fun. People who liked those caches would like both of your ideas!!!!

A bit farther away, but definitely worth the drive, is MikeChim's Tolkien-themed cache, Fellowship of the Ring, located in Presque Isle State Park. When he places his other multicache, I will be spending a weekend up there just to hunt these!

Out of the two ideas you posted, both are great but I think the first one would probably work better. The second would require more maintenance on your part (adding new pictures as people take items with them), more physical containers to hold the items, and more potential for confusion by cache hunters. I think that "picking the adventure" would be fun IF you gave a hint about what type of adventures lay ahead (choose "A" to see a beaver dam, choose "B" to go to the top of a hill with a great view...)

As for number of stages, 3 to 5 seems to be about average, but there are 10+ stage multi's like "Mario's Tower" and some of the other puzzle caches mentioned in This Thread that show the extreme end of the spectrum. It's all a question of how much time one can allot for finding a single cache. Once you have placed yours, walk through it with a friend doing the navigating; you may be surprised at how long it takes! Disclose the nature of the hunt on the cache page so that finders won't be unpleasantly surprised. (For example: "This hunt will take you to three different parks in Butler County and may take several days to complete.....") If all of the stages are in the same park, plan the hunt so that it can be completed in half a day. It is demoralizing to have to keep returning to the same park!

Good luck! Little Leprechaun and I look forward to hunting your cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

I like your ideas, the first one in particular! I used to love those books! I was thinking of creating a cache similar to that, in the fact that there would be a story line that would take you to four different caches (each with a part of the final coords) and eventually take you to the final and fifth coords.

Of course, there is a lot I have to learn about caching before I place it but when I'm ready I know exactly what I'm going to do and how.

xWaterLilyx

Team H2O

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**