My GPS V was taken from me today.

I have always used a gps to mark the car's location, and to record my exercise, but now GPS units are now banned at places like Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. The Police came up from behind me to tell me they were taking the gps. Took quite awhile to get it back. The police had me go to my car with it, to make sure i would not go back in the park.

This may make the Roller Coaster Locationless cache hard to do, at least in OHIO.

Question is:

Where are the places that you know of that also ban GPS units???

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My Home Page about what is GPS

WTF????

<soapbox>Ok, I'm generally an anti-authoritarian anyway, but this would have me screaming for the real cops claiming theft. First, I'm assuming you mean "park security" not cops. Second, on what basis did they ban GPS? They aren't illegal, can be used for anything inapropriate (unless geocaching is banned) but even then (third) where do they get off confiscating your unit? At worst they could've walked you back to your car to start. Although, as I said, I would've been screaming bloody murder the minute they tried to take it from me. Your use (marking your route) sounds completely appropriate and consistant with a healthy lifestyle (i'm in my counter-artgument mode now) plsu marking your car is almost mandatory in a place llike that unless you wanna experience more healthy living trying to find your car.</soapbox>

Funny, I'm visiting Cedar Point in August part of a 10 day 9 park trek nj-ny-ohio-pa-nj. I would likely bring mine with me. It'd be nice to know if I need to conceal it. <sarcasm>"Ahhhh! They brought their own food & drink into the park. DOUBLE AHHHHHH! A GPS UNIT!"</sarcasm>

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I just emailed the park to ghet an explanation. Since I'll be visitng, I want to know what I can/can't do & why

quote:
I have always used a gps to mark the car's location, and to record my exercise, but now GPS units are now banned at places like Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. The Police came up from behind me to tell me they were taking the gps. Took quite awhile to get it back. The police had me go to my car with it, to make sure i would not go back in the park.

I just about fell out of my chair when I read this post. A situation such as this would have certainly ended in my being arrested for assault. "You're taking what? Sure buddy. Come get it."

I third the

quote:
You gotta be kidding me
crowd. Please gives us more details. This is something that we need to be aware of and if true make sure we do something about. They can have my GPS when they pry it from my cold...no wait that ones been used.

What kinda jack is THAT? BS! Mr. Rentacop lays a hand on me to take my GPS, litigation for assault will be filed, too bad it will AGAINST ME...LOL...no way in Hell can I believe they even had the nads to do that.

Thanks for the heads-up though, I am traveling back there this summer and will be sure to take it with me now, and hold it high in the air to get a good lock...come and getchya some, boys...it'll look like the scene from Matrix 2 with all the security guards piling on me...

Cedar Point was on a terrorism hit list, so things are pretty tight down there now.

I went 15 times down there last year, no problem with the GPS then. I logged about 6.5 miles of exercise down there, before they caught me using it.

My Old posts as Geoffrey

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on May 04, 2003 at 07:18 PM.]

Dude, you've had a bad week, with the PayPal fraud and now this! First off, I'm wishing you good karma, sunny weather and quick finds for your next day of cache hunting. Sounds like you deserve a nice day!

The *ONLY* way I could agree that this was anything other than an improper infringement upon your use of a perfectly legal electronic device would be if there was a sign posted, announcing the park's policy. I would respect that, just like I respect an airline pilot's request that I not use a GPS on an airplane, even though I've used it on other flights with no problem. Or a museum that prohibited flash photography. But without publicizing the rule, it's just plain wrong. Next they'll be confiscating cameras, because you could be a terrorist taking pictures????

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Policies and Procedures only mention cell phones and cameras, nothing in there about a GPS.

Like airlines, they can tell you that you can't use one on their property, but they can't take it from you.

First, carrying a GPS (or similar-sized item) onto a ride is unsafe. You could drop it and it could hit someone below the track.

Second, they don't want you mapping their rides. This is probably their reasoning for not even allowing your GPSr in the park.

I would follow-up with the park management. Let them know how you were treated by security. Tell them that they could have asked you to put the unit in your car rather than confiscate it. You didn't see any rules on their website about a GPSr being a prohibited item. Say you'll never visit again if they don't at least give you a formal apology.

bandbass.gif

If they're gonna ban GPS's then they need to ban cameras & video cameras as well. The terrorists that hit on 9/11 had scouted out NYC and filmed areas of probable hits. No where do I recall hearing of them using a GPS to mark their hits. I think I'd have to get something out in the public there about them doing something so silly. Contact the local TV station or newspaper & maybe get some publicity for geocaching at the same time. I'd personally boycot the place. Never been there tho & doubt I ever will.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS / 128MB

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

http://www.darkglobe.com/geocache

I hear they're planning on banning wristwatches soon too.

Those hands, spinning around, never stopping - time always marching forward. I mean, if time marches forward - what's next? A full scale assault by time.

So you see, it's clear - wristwatches are dangerous.

Plus - Badguys can use wristwatches to tell what time it is and plan nefarious deeds. That's why I carry a sundial... safe (especially at night).

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Sounds like another case of being intimidated by a rent-a-cop into doing something against your basic rights.

First, it's assinine to ban GPSs anywhere as coords don't change and are fully documented on several websites easily accessible practically anywhere in the world. Using the terrorism excuse for banning GPSs simply shows ignorance. It's on par with banning maps because a terrorist might use one.

Second, only places that have sensitive equipment like airplanes and hospitals really have an excuse for you to not use a GPS and then it's not the possession, but the use.

I can see banning objects from the rides, but that goes for quite a few things, not just GPSs and there is no reason to not allow them in the park for that reason. The attendent at the ride gate can police that and then, if it's secure on your person it's fine.

No rent-a-cop anywhere has the right to remove from your person a lawful device.

This has been discussed at length in a photography forum about a rent-a-cop taking film from a guy that took some pix of a manufacturing plant. Even then, the rent-a-cop knew he couldn't climb into the car and just take the film, he used the threat of calling the Feds and reporting them to intimidate the guy into giving up not only those pix, but some other really good, once-in-a-lifetime shots. And all of this happened on public property!

Look, I have no problem with authority, but I know enough police to know some bend the rules a little. I know my basic rights and I won't freely give them up just because someone asks me to.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/rides/ridepolicy.cfm only mention cell phones and cameras, nothing in there about a GPS.

I would follow-up with the park management. Let them know how you were treated by security. Tell them that they could have asked you to put the unit in your car rather than confiscate it. You didn't see any rules on their website about a GPSr being a prohibited item. Say you'll never visit again if they don't at least give you a formal apology.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

Agreed!!!!

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

/points to the rent a cop.

/Umm no!

I would have to go with the "No way in HELL are you touching this" theory. Whats gonna happen when PDA's start being used with GPSr? I would file a complaint with them and assure them that you would file a complaint with the local police. There is a dollar amount set when it becomes a felony to take stuff. hehe

BigJon

i'm afraid i probably would have handed mine over too... glad you got it back again.

and while i agree it's dumb, mohammed atta did in fact buy a gps unit while in new york to map the tower location.

there is no knowledge, only things, which is really old knowledge.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

hold it high in the air to get a good lock...come and getchya some, boys...it'll look like the scene from Matrix 2 with all the security guards piling on me...

That had me in stitches. I just saw the clip of Matrix 2 and could just imagine it.

Very, Very funny.

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

Hmmm "FROM MY COLD DEAD HAND"

Myself I'm in and out of Mexico 2-3 times a week and have a GPSr dash-mounted in both my vehicles. I have been question by the authorities, both US & Mexican. I explain to them the use and reason for them and enough said, no problems. (the US has both my vehicles on their computer as GPSr equipped) Oh Well ~~~ so goes life

Mzee ~~~ "And now where"

I just love the extreme overreaction generated in these forums by posts such as this one. With as little as three or four lines of text barely explaining what happened there are those who would mount an assault with heavy weapons on the park security forces...LOL.

Just seems like an exercise in keeping your blood pressure at the maximum levels. Good luck with that.

LOL.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

P. S. - No, I don't agree with the individual having his GPSr taken, neither do I agree with the reactionaries that they should resist to the point of violence...sheesh.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Note that, at Cedar Point at least, park security _are_ cops.

my thoughts before reading that post: "you can have my gps when you pry it from my cold dead fingers."

now : "here ya go!"

seriously though, that interesting to know. while that makes me feel safer, i wonder how a private company got the police to patrol their park?

In other news I emailed the park right away to find out if I would be able to bring in my gps. Their response: "Whats a GPS". Literally. That was their one sentance answer. I explained briefly what GPS Stands for, what the receiver does, and what the purpose of it is in the confines of their park. (finding mycar wihout spending 2 hours)

quote:
by breaktrack: I just love the extreme overreaction generated in these forums by posts such as this one. With as little as three or four lines of text barely explaining what happened there are those who would mount an assault with heavy weapons on the park security forces...LOL.

while some of the responses are clearly over the top, I doubt that anyone would seriously fight back physically. But I would make a scene. Not all park employees know the rules or enforce them uniformly. my son is 4 and literally won't eat but a handful of things, none of which are served at the park. We went to grat adventure & they gave us a hard time about his juice boxes & some saltines. My wife went apre on the guy. We could put them in the car or dump em in the garbage. She asked for the supervisor who told her employee at the gate that the no-food rules dont apply to kids 5 and under. So there.

It is entirely possible that this cop/park police may have been misinformed, or had a hard on for giving GOT GPS a hard time. Sounds unlikely though since the story reads like he went thru several people to get it back.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyvegas:

This just another example of the Goverment taking away more rights. This entire homeland security BS is just a way to take away the rights of americans. But of course, we keep sending the same jerks back to congress, so I guess we deserve what we get.

Cedar Point is now the Goverment? WOW, when did that happen?

Bil

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

quote:

Note that, at Cedar Point at least, park security _are_ cops.

seriously though, that interesting to know. while that makes me feel safer, i wonder how a private company got the police to patrol their park?

I have a season pass to Cedar Point, so I'm relatively familiar with the park, but my information on the park-security-are-cops matter is from a barely-remembered show on the Discovery Channel, so I'm sure it's wrong in places. My understanding is that the Cedar Point police department is in some way connected to the Sandusky County police, and that the idea was to make it easier for the park police to work with the other agencies in the county to quickly and correctly deal with the real crimes - purse snatching, assault, drunk & disorderly, and so on - that take place in the park and the surrounding resort. If they weren't cops, they wouldn't have the authority or training they might need to handle those sorts of situations.

Understand, too, that Cedar Point is in a unique position compared to, say, Disneyland. Sandusky is really a fairly small town, and Cedar Point is the largest theme park in the world, so the population of the park on a nice summer day easily outnumbers the rest of the county.

None of that, of course, has anything to do with whether they should or do allow GPS receivers in the park. If it were me, though, I'd leave the GPS receiver in the car with the digital camera and the Palm Pilot and write down where I parked on a slip of good-old-fashioned paper. Roller coasters and delicate electronics just don't mix. (Actually, I leave everything including my wallet in the RV in the campground, and carry enough cash for the day, the key to the RV, and my season pass in a ziploc bag.)

warm.gif

This is certainly going to be a difficult rule to enforce, now that GPS units are becoming integrated into cell phones. I'm sure its just a knee jerk reaction to technology.

It may not even be a security policy, but a business related one. Perhaps in the past other amusement park companies would use it to map out how their park runs? Like the placement of concession stands and such.

Glad you were able to get your GPS unit back. If it was an unposted rule they would have difficulty justifying their confiscation of your (relatively harmless) device.

Not owning an RV, I'd be afraid of leaving a lot of valuable stuff in them. Are there a lot of problems with RV's being broken into? (Sorry, off-topic). Considering car prowlers at amusement parks I'd be concerned about leaving any valuable property in my vehicle.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Not owning an RV, I'd be afraid of leaving a lot of valuable stuff in them. Are there a lot of problems with RV's being broken into? (Sorry, off-topic). Considering car prowlers at amusement parks I'd be concerned about leaving any valuable property in my vehicle.

At Cedar Point, anyway, the campground is probably safer than the parking lot, in that it's hidden away behind the park and unless you've stayed there or in one of the hotels, you might not even know it's there. And an RV is probably safer than a car anyway, just because it's so hard to tell whether there's a big dog sleeping in the back, and whether there's anything in there worth taking the risk for.

Of course, you don't leave stuff just sitting out on the table, you put it away somewhere, just like you would at home.

warm.gif

For a few years I worked security as a licensed pirvate investigator. I supervised the security officers at a power plant. There were times when we ahd to confiscate items from the contracted construction workers, these items were all listed in a waiver that each employee of the construction companies had to sign and agree to thier first day of working. As long as the items were not illegal they would be returned at the end of the day. But I did find myself hauling some officers butts out of the frying pan a few times when they tried to confiscate items or force the workers to leave the items outside when they were not items specifically listed. Many run of the mill security offices don't know the laws that they should. And often the construction workers did know the laws and just how to threaten the officers with them. The also tried to bait the officers as well. But its human nature to defy rules. In this case i would say it is most likely an overzealous rent-a-cop that doesn't know the laws he should and doesn't know how to enforce company policy. If GSP reciever are banned from the park which they may well be, the security officer should have stated it and been prepared to show a violator the policy and inform them as to where they should have seen it before entering the park.

The keep taking my 4" crescent wrench every time I try to get into Kennywood. Its just a tool to me I put it in my pocket every day along with my pocket knife. I feel lost without it. But there is good reasoning for not permitting it in the park.

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.

quote:

(Actually, I leave everything including my wallet in the RV in the campground, and carry enough cash for the day, the key to the RV, and my season pass in a ziploc bag.)

I suggest that you also put a photocopy of your driver's license and health insurance card, and 'who to notify in case of emergency' information in the ziploc bag. Just in case.

I know it's off the topic, but I think it's important.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

P. S. - No, I don't agree with the individual having his GPSr taken, neither do I agree with the reactionaries that they should resist to the point of violence...sheesh.

I am so glad our founding fathers did not feel that way!

If it is a real (I mean real government body) cop I probably would not strike first, I would just walk away with my GPSr. But if they touched me or tried to physically take my legal property ... I'm being taken away in cuffs and charged with assualt.

You don't have to obey an unlawful order. Police are there to enforce laws not policy of private companies. But if the numbers are true and this place brings in all those people then the government is probably willing to whore it self out to the private company.

On the other hand if it is private security the most I can see them being able to do is ask you to leave the property. Again they touch me or try to take away my property fists are going to be flying. I can only see their actions as a threat or theft and I have to defend myself. I will call the real police myself after they are on the ground.

Either way I don't think this is going to be a can of worms they want to open.

Wake up people. If you don't want to defend your rights you don't deserve them. And all those people who say that because of these times things are different need to go back and study their history. All those people who died protecting our freedoms did not do it so you can just give them away. When you say that you are making their deaths worth nothing more than a whim. And I am not about to let you give my rights away either. When are you people going to learn? It is not about a GPSr, it is about a way of life.

Ok down off of soapbox.

I would like to get a bit more information. I called Cedar Point and their police today and was told that: 1-They have no prohibition against GPS units, and that 2-None of the police knew of anyone taking a GPS away from anyone recently.

Now, either the cop you ran into was an abbaration, or they are lying to me.

I would like to run an article on the problem, but need some more specifics so that I can inquire of the Cedar Point officialdom intelligently.

Please email me through GeoCashing.com or directly at CDWLDR@AOL.COM.

Cadwalader & the Golden Horde

I emailed Gwho already with the Mapsource file.

I was without the unit for about 37 minutes.

When I went to the Police station on cedar point, and the office up next to the front gate, where they stamp your hand, nobody knew what a GPS was.

Gwho can post the file online if he wants, since he emailed me already.

I got in one geocache yesterday also after all this mess.

I had told them I was leaving now, but still they took the GPS.

I never want to argu with a cop, since I never ever want a police record.

Seems like people dont trust me, so if they dont, then I will leave the messageboard permanantly.

I did not get names of anybody, since I wanted out quickly.

I was also near the opposite end of the park away from the front gate when it happened.

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

I was without the unit for about 37 minutes.

Here was the response I got...

quote:
We do not have a policy concerning GPS units.

Apparently, some one was asked to check their GPS at the front gate while in the park this past weekend by someone who was not familiar with what it was.

Such an item would qualify as a loose article which could hurt someone should it fly out of a pocket on a ride and would be best left in a locker at the front of the park or be kept in a zippered pocket.

Hmmm... I'm not suggesting either GOT GPS or the person I emailed are lying, but I believe there might be more to the story (and i don't mean that in a negative way per se) What it sounds like is what happened to me at GA with regards to food. Apparently GOT GPS went to a manager, but what doesn't register is that the email i got says that the employee didn't know what it was, implying that a manager could've resolved this, while GOT GPS says he was escorted back to his car, which doesnt sound as if anybody with brains was on the case.

All i know is it happens to me when i go, I'll have a copy of the email I received from the park saying there is no policy against GPS units. Should pave the way to resolving it quickly.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

It may not even be a security policy, but a business related one. Perhaps in the past other amusement park companies would use it to map out how their park runs? Like the placement of concession stands and such.

Leave it to the business man to look at it from the business angle. icon_razz.gif In all seriousness though, that is a brilliant thought. Doubt it's the case here, but still a very astute observation. <buttkiss>Thanks Jeremy for injecting a different POV on this cause I never in a million years would've thought of that.</buttkiss>

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

No loose items on the rides? Oh, PLEASE!! I have been there many times, especially since Bob-Lo closed (remember that one?) and you wouldn't believe the number of people that sit on their hats or have cameras in THEIR HANDS, ready to snap that picture of their friend next to them as they go down the big hill or through the loop...

Well, I will be going there in a month or two, and you can bet I will have my MeriPlat with me...let's see what happens...

We have season passes for Cedar Point and have never had any problems using a GPSr or digital camera in the park! We've used both in the park on a few occasions to log a Googie, coaster, carosel, and smashed penny virtuals last Summer. Nobody ever approached us and questioned what we were doing. Sounds like a rogue security dude to me!!

Cheers ... bVCY Swim

I've done caches at Six Flags over Texas, Legoland, and Disney California Adventure: I was walking around with a MAP330 for hours, and no one even looked at me. If you act like you belong there with it, you're seldom questioned. One security person asked what it was at the entry checkpoint at SFoT, I told him it was a GPS receiver, and he said "oh, cool". I also keep the cache page with me so I can show it to them as proof of the game if they doubt me, but I don't show it unless required. icon_smile.gif

I think you just got a bubba who hadn't had his donut yet. icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

Regarding government bans on "dangerous objects".

Slightly off topic - but I recently went through ATL airport security with my computer bag containing two objects I had forgotten about:

1. A 6" crescent wrench.

2. An 18" x 1/2" braided stainless steel hose with 3/4" stainless swivel fittings on both ends.

Airport security detected both objects and confiscated the wrench (on the "banned" list), and handed me back the hose (not on the list) - go figure.

Groundhound

quote:
Originally posted by GeneralBracket:

quote:
Seems like people dont trust me, so if they dont, then I will leave the messageboard permanantly.

Who here said that? I believe you. Please stay. Cops can be morons.

_I said CAN be, not are. Don't harass me._

Heck, no need to harass you, they come by it honest, dealing with all those members of the public who "can be" morons on a monumental scale.

Especially those who think they should be able to do anything they want, any way they want, any time they want... sheesh, who'd have thought there'd be people like that????? LOL.

It still strikes me as a major non-issue. The individual was on private property that allows public access. Police Officers of many jurisdictions are hired to supplement private security at many parks. I have worked at the Astro-World park several times in such a capacity, it's called an extra-job. We are "whoring" ourselves out in order to supplement our salaries so we too can put our children through college. In this capacity we enforce the laws of the land, and we "assist" in enforcing the rules of the park, as long as they do not conflict with the law. Since I was not there and only have the information provided, I'd say this was not even one of the officers but one of the park employees, but I could be wrong. Circumstances could also play a part as Jeremy said. After all, it's a park to you, but to the owner/operator, it's a business.

Just seems like there are an awful lot of people who want to shout about their rights when they are not even dealing with a governmental entity. The Constitution was crafted as a limit on GOVERNMENT, not Six Flags....LOL.

JMHO.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Just seems like there are an awful lot of people who want to shout about their rights when they are not even dealing with a governmental entity. The Constitution was crafted as a limit on GOVERNMENT, not Six Flags....LOL.

JMHO.

True, but that hardly gives Six Flags, or any other business, some special right to take my property. They can throw me out, but they cannot legally rob me.

Ron/yumitori

Yep I agree, even if this place was on some terrorist list..I'd be buying a new gps when I smashed on someones head. If they approached me the right way I'd say sorry and leave, but if it was like "HI, we're taken that " it would get messy.....

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

I talked with Cedar Point Park operator, the Info desk, and the security Deptartment, and nobody knew what a GPS was, but said that it was a safety issue on the rides. Got nowhere, on WHY it was confiscated from me, and that I could not get it back, except outside the front gate. It is a big imposing black GPS V, so I may use something like a small Geko for on site stuff.

When riding, loose change, wallet, keys, and other stuff should be secured somewhere like a locker or on another non-rider.

It was the original officer that was afraid of my marking some targets, but I didn't have his name.

My Old posts as Geoffrey