Were You Ever A Scout, Military or.....

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Guest Cape Cod Cache

UPDATE...

I'd like to thank everyone that replied to this thread. I've been talking with the local Council and town leaders to get them to approve of Geocaching (in writing no less)

Here are the results < drum roll >

52 replies

28 BSA, 5 GSA, 1 Camp Fire, 1 Suiss, 1 Dutch =36 *69%

19 military *37% (12 Army <1 UK, 1 Aus>, 5 Air Force, 2 Marines, 1 Navy)

Also mentioned

4 Civil Air Patrol, 2 Captains, 2 sailors, 1 YMCA, 1 hunter, 1 cattle driver, 1 Mil school

100% good humored decent folks !

This data will go a long way to help the cause when talking to 'officials' about caching, again, thanks.

Cape Cod Cache

Post Script: use this data, please !

[This message has been edited by Cape Cod Cache (edited 26 April 2001).]

Guest Silver

I was a Cub Scout, a Webelos Scout, a Boy Scout, and a Webelos leader.

I also was in the Army ROTC for a year and just retired after 20 years in the Air Force.

I have loved camping and hiking all my live and I have never forgotten the lessons learned in Boy Scouts. I even remember how to tie MOST of the knots. icon_smile.gif

Silver

Guest Silver

I was a Cub Scout, a Webelos Scout, a Boy Scout, and a Webelos leader.

I also was in the Army ROTC for a year and just retired after 20 years in the Air Force.

I have loved camping and hiking all my live and I have never forgotten the lessons learned in Boy Scouts. I even remember how to tie MOST of the knots. icon_smile.gif

Silver

Guest cache_only

Was active duty Army airborne infantry. Still love to navigate long distances across the land with a map and compass. Am currently with a National Guard Military Police Company (lieutenant: platoon leader). My newest GPS has MGRS (Military Grid Reference System) and proved itself worth every penny on a recent military exercise: Went on a recon of a large area, marked all the important points with GPS, and later plotted them on the map. My colleagues were amazed at the capabilites of GPS. Geocaching with my GPS is just flat-out fun and yet my GPS is all serious duty when applied in an Armed Forces context. Now that's versatile.

Guest JeffR

I'm late too, but will add anyhow. Never military (teaching jr. hi. during 'Nam seemed like a sensible alternate choice), but was a scout from age 8-17, topped out at Life. Our troop was heavy into camping, hiking, orienteering, etc. I've always loved outdoors, hiking, maps, techie toys, and used to be an avid hunter. This is a great way to combine all of these, and no game to clean when you get back! As a big bonus, my wife, who never really cared that much about outdoors and hiking, loves it! Thanks to my cousin, GCer Bob Renner of Phoenix, for introducing me to this.

Jeff Renner

Ann Arbor, MI

Guest brucebridges

Too late but...

I was a Cub Scout, Weeblo(sp?) and Boy Scout and served 4 years in the Air Force. The most I spent in the wild while in the AF was a 6 week TDY rebuilding bombing range targets in Gila Bend, AZ.

bb

Guest Monkey on a Rock

I never got past Cub Scouts, but was active Army for three years and in Army National Guard Aviation for the last 15. I also was an instructor for Army Primary Leadership Development Course, which emphasized map reading and land navigation (we even did night land nav courses). I bought my GPS because it uses MGRS, but have found hundreds of other uses since.

Guest dogpile

22 years in the Air Force for me. Retired in 1993 and enjoying it. Started geocaching when I mistakenly brought it up at home one night and my wife decided we were going to participate. Never used a GPS before so purchased the Vista, now we go out and find or hide a cache every weekend. So what does this prove? The Sarge is not always in command. Sure do enjoy seeing parts of Idaho I have never seen before.

Guest EraSeek

I was in the Coast Guard for four years, search and rescue, two years in Alaska, two on the Washington coast. I guess that's part of it. The appeal for me is also the combination of the great outdoors, putting my GPS to some useful activity, the computer tie in, to some degree science, finding value in really unique places, and the challange to prove myself against the hunt.

Guest jherubin

I served Active Army from 1991-1996. Almost 3 years of that was with the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg. Since then I have been in the Michigan Army National Guard.

I received my first GPS (Vista) about a month ago and hope to get my first cache soon. I just thought it was amazing that I could navigate anywhere with a device that fits in your hand.

Regards.

Guest JIntorcio

quote:
Originally posted by dogpile:

One of those, uh?

Hmmm... Not entirely sure what "one of those" is but... I *am* proud of all three items I listed and I fully respect (and am grateful to) those who have made other choices - Sarge.

[This message has been edited by JIntorcio (edited 23 April 2001).]

Guest ralph2201

I am a boyscout for 17 years now(i'm 22 years old) And I was always interested in hiking and compasses but my GPS gives me the oppurtunity to do more with coordinates.

I'm a DUTCH Scout by the way!

Guest John H

Active duty Navy

It is now Thursday 4/26/2001 at 9:45:26 AM

Event: Enlisted 7/26/1978 03:00 PM

22 years 8 months 30 days 18 hours 45 minutes 26 seconds or

1,187 weekends or

8,310 days or

199,434 hours (132,956 waking hours) or

11,966,085 minutes or

717,965,126 seconds

But who's counting ???

Guest lostsoul

Was Cub Scout, then a Scout, joined the Royal Dutch Marines and was in the officer training during which I was able to guide my platoon, only using a Silva Compass to an indicated "enemy" position in the thick fog over a distance of 5 KM. We landed in the latrine area of the "enemy" encampment. Since then loved orienteering but never got the chance to fully experience it. So geocaching will be the substitute for it.

Guest ericdb1

Went through scouting from cub to Eagle Scout. Grew up as military brat and served in USAF for ten years. Voluntered in sons packs and troops for number of years. No longer involved though, sons have grown and left home. Maybe will start up again with grandsons. icon_smile.gif

Guest ericdb1

Went through scouting from cub to Eagle Scout. Grew up as military brat and served in USAF for ten years. Voluntered in sons packs and troops for number of years. No longer involved though, sons have grown and left home. Maybe will start up again with grandsons. icon_smile.gif

Guest MidKnightRider

Cub Scout, Boy Scouts (Eagle), Camping and hikeing most of my life (43yrs) First went camping a 6mo. Always loved the out doors.

Guest Charles

I am a typical always poor and always hungry college student. I don't have military experience yet (but planning to go to the Air Force/Navy after college), not a scout either, but spent a big deal of time outdoor and love it!

Guest map_per

never was a member of the BSA,of which I am sorry for,it is a great organization however, I served in the US Army for 10 years and graduated from a military academy,of which I attended for 5 years. Jeremy, I am absolutely enjoying your site, keep up the great job you are doing, I DO appreciate it. I am new here and to the cache hunting world, but I am really enjoying it.....

Guest turken

Boy scouts (Stuck between Life and Eagle... Long Story). No military experience, although they keep trying to recruit me. I like geocaching because it combines my geek interests with my outdoor ones. My first few caches found (before I got a GPS) were by using skills I learned from scouting.

Guest map_per

quote:
Originally posted by turken:

My first few caches found (before I got a GPS) were by using skills I learned from scouting.[/b]

OUTSTANDING!!!!! a perfect back up plan initiated before hand.. no doubt the Scouts are teaching the right stuff.
Guest bunkerdave

I may be a little different. I was a scout, made it to Life Rank. I got a globe for my 5th birthday, and my siblings used to quiz me on geography. I have always loved maps and cartography, but ended up an accountant. I have always loved the outdoors. I get almost as much pleasure out of charting the route on my various maps (paper and software) and getting there as directly as possible. It works...sometimes.

Guest logscaler

First Class Scout; Raised outdoors; Logged-as in trees- for years; Still can not stand to be indoors for more than a few hours at a time. Love maps and compass work but the GPS helps get a little tighter to where I am not at.

Guest Tow-2Bravo

I just got out of the Army after 10 years icon_smile.gif

Being in the Infanrty we did ALOT of orienteering. Especially at night, no flashlights..just a compass a distance and a direction to get from point to point. I LOVED every minute of it! Now they have Magellans that recieve encrypted signals from sattelites, kinda takes all the fin out of it icon_frown.gif

Guest Tow-2Bravo

I just got out of the Army after 10 years icon_smile.gif

Being in the Infanrty we did ALOT of orienteering. Especially at night, no flashlights..just a compass a distance and a direction to get from point to point. I LOVED every minute of it! Now they have Magellans that recieve encrypted signals from sattelites, kinda takes all the fin out of it icon_frown.gif

Guest docoorah

I was active duty Navy for 10 years. I've learned to love being outside and to find the things that Mother Earth has hidden from people who don't want to look for them. Hidden caves, hidden cliffs, isolated forests, pristine planetscapes. I geocache because it lets me see things other than the inside of an office, or the inside of a television.

"For those who have tasted danger, life has a flavor that the protected can never know..."

Guest firefly

wow!! Lot's of response to this one...I too was kicked out of the girl guides! I thought I was the only one to bare that shame! I also hike, camp and am generaly happier in the outdoors! Anything else that can give me an excuse to be outside, I'm all for!

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest firefly

wow!! Lot's of response to this one...I too was kicked out of the girl guides! I thought I was the only one to bare that shame! I also hike, camp and am generaly happier in the outdoors! Anything else that can give me an excuse to be outside, I'm all for!

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Team JackQuest

There seems to be many common traits out there. Great thread. As for me Eagle Scout, 8.5 years USN, and all round outdoor enthusiast techno geek. icon_smile.gif

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest Team JackQuest

There seems to be many common traits out there. Great thread. As for me Eagle Scout, 8.5 years USN, and all round outdoor enthusiast techno geek. icon_smile.gif

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest WJJagfan

Did all my scouting in Canada, but was a Scout Master here in the States for many years. Currently a Cub Pack Committee Chairman. Scouting was responsible for my interest in camping, hiking, and backpacking. Served in the Army National Guard for 6 years (they'll take anyone I guess ... even a die-hard Canadian).

Guest Iron Chef

I was a scout when younger, and am a Assistant Scout Master now just because it offers me chances to go hiking/camping/kayaking/etc etc with a group for less money than if I went solo :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact

Guest bradrobb

I am currently a Scouter with the Beavers in Canada and served 11 years in the reserves here. I hid one cache with my Scout group in May.

Guest SWatts

Eagle Scout 1981

Currently Asst. Scout Master charged with helping the first year scouts make it to First Class.

Officially, I was an Infantry Officer during the early 90's. Grew up as the son of an Infantry Officer. In my heart of hearts I am still Infantry, and sorely miss it. That's why this geocaching stuff is so much fun. There is a saying I heard somewhere to the effect, that you can take the man out of the Infantry, but you can't take the Infantry out of the man.

Follow Me!!!!!!

------------------

Guest glcanon

I was an Army Ordnance officer. 8 yrs, mostly in the reserve. But we did alot of orienteering in college and at camp (Ft. Lewis, Washington). Ft. Lewis was especially gruelling for orienteering because you often have to cross very dense ancient and almost tropical forests, and we were always on a time hack. Plus, it rains most summer afternoons and the mosquitos come out. When you breathe in, the mosquitos get sucked into your mouth. Arg! Sure was beautiful country though. And we always wondered whether the Old Man would make it out each day (Mt Rainier). Of all the compasses I've seen, I still prefer the Army lensatic with Tritium. Great for night navigation. Cheers

Was in Camp Fire Girls way back when, but we didn't do any outdoors stuff. Then I grew up and had a son. Cub/Webelos leader and now I can't get enough of outdoors. First cache we did was with our Webelos patrol.

Guest Maluso

Girl Scouts for me. From Brownies all the way through Seniors. And a camp counselor.. including wilderness. I also worked at an outward bound type facility for juvies and took them on solo trips, canoeing and backpacking trips. All that was long, long ago.