Were You Ever A Scout, Military or.....

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Guest Cape Cod Cache

or former Military or just Campers....

This may prove interesting... I never made beyond First Class Scout, but I never forgot what I learned. I try to help my old troop, and tax time, toss $$$ !!!

Please be honest, I don't want 2000 NavySEALS or Army Rangers. Just a clue why this Geocaching appeals to you.

Guest DrunkenBard

Former Boy Scout, the Navy still sends me recruiting info every time I update the address on my driver's license, but I've never been in the military. I also grew up in the country, so I'm rather outdoors oriented. BSA got me interested in navigation, and I've studied various types.

------------------

DrunkenBard

http://www.drunkenbard.com

I was a Scout, but gave up after first class.

I was involved in orienteering competitions in highschool. Running through the woods with a compass has appealed to me for a few years now.

Guest geofred

I was a Life Scout. US Army draftee. I recall getting lost more than once during the orienteering (compass)sessions. Use to do "orienteering" when I lived in the Seattle area. Now there is an activity to mesh with a GPS unit. Large groups take notice, this could be the way to create a great weekend.

Guest leaper64

i was a scout. camped at least once a month with my family during summer as i grew up. i still like to semi-primitive camp as often as i can. fyi, my definition of semi-primitive is....a trailer with no hookups, not too crazy about tenting anymore.

larry

Guest daviskw

This is an interesting and I?ll bet revealing question. I was a grunt in the Marine Corps, when my hips started to go I stopped running and started hiking. Except in orienteering where I continued to run and compete. In my present job I use Autocad and GIS mapping software. My love of the outdoors, hiking, maps, and computers makes geocaching a good addition to my favorite pass times. This may be important too, I am in my mid fifties.

Guest cva38bw

Most of my experience with camping and hiking took place at a YMCA camp when I was a kid. I spent eight weeks of the summer there for six or seven years. Lots of hiking and canoe trips. Did my thing in the service but didn't do any camping there. Took my kids for walks in the woods and had a great time at that. Still do my walking and bike riding in the woods. I really like this sport because it gets me out doing things. I'm 66 years old now and retired. Figure I got about 30 more years of hiking.

------------------

Made it to a rank of Life. I was involved in Scouting from 11-18 and will probable do it again with my own kids. I camped at least one weekend every months for almost the entire seven years I was in the scouts. I usually did aleast two week-long camps in the summer. I also have been an avid hunter since I was 10 years old. The outdoors were a big part of my childhood.

Guest cascade

Cub Scouts, no military, but what really got me started (besides "camping" in my nextdoor neighbor's backyard) was weekending at my aunt's cabin in Running Springs. Did a lot of car-camping as soon as I was old enough to drive, and some backpacking later on--now I'm just waiting for the box from Amazon!

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Hey Crew !

WOW ! good responce ! Glad to hear that BSA did something. I try to help my old Troop as a merit badge councelor. I do Sailing, Orenteering and Pioneering. I never joined the Military, I had a way to hit college. I DID get into making "stuff" for the MilSpec.

I am a big-time sailor, done the whole East Coast of US, Bahamas, Carib, some Mexico and Belize. Love navigating and charts etc... My next venture is a pre-1957 Cape Cod Knockabout, going to take it to the Canadian border in a couple years. (unless a bout of sanity hits me)

[This message has been edited by Cape Cod Cache (edited 02-27-2001).]

I came up through scouting, first as a cub scout, then as a boy scout, although I never got much farther in rank than first class. I did get heavily into orienteering as a scout, and my team swept almost every orienteering meet or "klondike derby" we ever entered.

Later in life, I joined the Civil Air Patrol (not really military, but an Air Force auxiliary), first as a cadet and continuing through many years of my adult life. Among the things I was certified to do was lead ground search teams. It was very challenging then. Neither ground teams nor aircraft had area navigation equipment, and GPS wasn't even launched yet. A pilot would often give us a fix based on aeronautical navaids or visual observation, and we'd have to translate that information to an "X" on the topo map however we could...then get there however we could.

I still have my Boy Scout compass. icon_smile.gif

Scott

I came up through scouting, first as a cub scout, then as a boy scout, although I never got much farther in rank than first class. I did get heavily into orienteering as a scout, and my team swept almost every orienteering meet or "klondike derby" we ever entered.

Later in life, I joined the Civil Air Patrol (not really military, but an Air Force auxiliary), first as a cadet and continuing through many years of my adult life. Among the things I was certified to do was lead ground search teams. It was very challenging then. Neither ground teams nor aircraft had area navigation equipment, and GPS wasn't even launched yet. A pilot would often give us a fix based on aeronautical navaids or visual observation, and we'd have to translate that information to an "X" on the topo map however we could...then get there however we could.

I still have my Boy Scout compass. icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guest Krepism

I did the Scout thing for a while. The army did not want me (to many head injuries). But I grew up in the Army (My dad is a Command Sargent Major) But aside from that, I just moved from the Nebraska, which has nothing to offer, and I just find that this is a safe way to spend time out doors.

I was never in military, scouts, etc...

The reason that I enjoy Geocaching is that I'm a geek. icon_smile.gif

I just love technology, and always have been intrigued by maps and geography. I also enjoy 4-wheeling, so it's fun getting to the more remote sites!

I was never in military, scouts, etc...

The reason that I enjoy Geocaching is that I'm a geek. icon_smile.gif

I just love technology, and always have been intrigued by maps and geography. I also enjoy 4-wheeling, so it's fun getting to the more remote sites!

Country kid, cubs & scouts plus more adventurous independent camping with my mates. Six years in army reserves then saw the light and did 25 years full time Air Force. Lots of oudoor activities in service and privately. Lots of experience with maps & compass.

Left the Air Force and now run a map shop. I saw geocaching as way to get some hands-on experience with the GPS kits I sell. I'm having a ball!

Alex

wow I'm "none of the above"

I grew up "traditional" us & our neighbors free ranged cattle in the mountains on Government lands.

So we had twice yearly cattle round ups & drives in the Rocky Mountains. Plus I grew up in the country just always loved being outside.

Then ended up in school for a Computer Science degree & became a cowboy techie geek.

Plus I do a lot of outdoor photography & searching for "lost" wilderness camps (mining & logging) from years gone by.

The clues for this geocaching sure are alot easier than cryptic musings by someone who was last at the camp 55 years ago. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Vilks (edited 02-26-2001).]

wow I'm "none of the above"

I grew up "traditional" us & our neighbors free ranged cattle in the mountains on Government lands.

So we had twice yearly cattle round ups & drives in the Rocky Mountains. Plus I grew up in the country just always loved being outside.

Then ended up in school for a Computer Science degree & became a cowboy techie geek.

Plus I do a lot of outdoor photography & searching for "lost" wilderness camps (mining & logging) from years gone by.

The clues for this geocaching sure are alot easier than cryptic musings by someone who was last at the camp 55 years ago. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Vilks (edited 02-26-2001).]

Guest OregonSurveyor

I too was a long-time boy scout. I made it to the rank of "Life", but my inability to swim well was all that kept me from "Eagle".

I almost took the military route, I had a nomination from my Congressman to attend West Point, but at the last moment realized that the 9 year commitment to the Army was a little more than I was willing to make.

However, my life long love of maps and the out of doors led me to my career as a Land Surveyor. So this Geocaching stuff is kinda a 'busman's holdiday' for me. Happy Hunting.

------------------

Lat. N 45d-30.6875'

Long. W 122d-37.2055'

Elev.=172.97'

king6kids@hotmail.com

abundance of Navigational Aids on board your search craft.

LOL, we didn?t even have a radio!

We followed Rail Road tracks, water towers, and anything else we could locate.

How things have changed !!!!

Looking forward to geocaching while on vacation in New England this June?

Guest Paul Lamble

Yep, I was a Scout. Made it to Eagle, and I can say that one of the times I found most fun was when we went orienteering, with a compass and directions.

I was never military. (I'm sure they wouldn't want me!) But I love being outdoors and I love reading maps. So this is really a perfect sport for me.

Paul Lamble

Kansas City

Guest Captain Leno

Never in the Millitary, and never made it any further in Scouting than Cub's....

I took a real Fancy to Astronomy and Fishing.

My fishing adventures have gotten me into a Full Size Salmon Machine that resides on Lake Michigan...

I was the first person I know of to convert from Loran C to GPS...

I bought a Magellan 2000 right after the Gulf War for $199.99 I thought it was AMAZING..

I really like navigation by any means, and this was another Fantastic Tool !!!

I had an oportunity to INVEST in the Magellan company back then at 14 cents a share, and let it pass WHAT A MISTAKE !!!!!

Anyway, I have also been a AVID Treasure Hunter for MANY years, and actually own a Metal Detector Dealership.

I saw a segment on Geocache on our local news amd thought "What a Neat Idea" and started investigating this Hobby...

Well, here I am, and that is my story....

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Cap't Leno, I remember the 'bad old days' of Loran... A fishing Captain from IN ? we HAVE to talk ! I'm a 6-Packer, drive peoples boats to point 'B'. and former live-aboard

capecache@hotmail.com

I was in cub scouts, but really got into navigation learning to sail. My grandfather taught me how to navigate the old way (compass, chrono, and sextant). I got into GPS when I started on my commercial pilot's license, and bought my GPS III+ to use in the air and in the truck. I got tired of trying to figure out which forest road I was on when I went camping because some dips**t had shot the sign to pieces.

Guest lighthnet

Hmmm all of the above. I was in Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, Camped a lot as a kid and 10 years in the US Army. I had a lot of experience with maps and compasses. I love this GPS thing, however

Guest proxien

Hey all:

I never would have made this connection, GREAT THREAD TO POST!

I am an Eagle Scout and toyed with the military idea but in the end didn't go through with it. Instead I majored in Landscape Architecture and now I work at a Landscape Arch/Civil Engineering firm as the Network Admin.

Geocaching seems to be a perfect fit into the things that I like the most.

------------------

proxien

Guest Pumpkin Princess

Oh what a great forum topic - took me back to childhood! I love the outdoors! I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout! Grew up with two older brothers so literally a tomboy! Dug up mud, rocks, etc. My boyfriend and I took our first ever "backpacking" trip last year -prompting the purchase of a GPS. It goes on every road trip and numerous camp outs! When geocaching appeared - presto - another use for the GPS! Totally awesome!! Ciao!

Guest Tennessee_Bob

I spent 10 years in the Air Force. Played with the GPS the few times I went on exercises with Pararescue. Prior to that, I was in Army ROTC and always enjoyed working with maps and compass (long story between ROTC and Air Force enlisted).

Geocaching is a great excuse to play with gadgets and maps...and a better excuse to be outside with my 8 year old daughter. We found our first cache yesterday afternoon icon_biggrin.gif and she's already trying to decide what to put in our own.

Bob

Guest Tennessee_Bob

I spent 10 years in the Air Force. Played with the GPS the few times I went on exercises with Pararescue. Prior to that, I was in Army ROTC and always enjoyed working with maps and compass (long story between ROTC and Air Force enlisted).

Geocaching is a great excuse to play with gadgets and maps...and a better excuse to be outside with my 8 year old daughter. We found our first cache yesterday afternoon icon_biggrin.gif and she's already trying to decide what to put in our own.

Bob

Guest Quinnow

I was a cub scout in the rochester area in my very early years. And I come from a long line of military brothers as well as father. One older brother is a colonel in the army stationed in wyoming. I myself did four years stationed At Ft. Bragg and Ft. Benning located in Georgia as a Military Police Officer. though I must say that being a geocacher is a much better life than military any day!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest bigRahn

I did cub scouts for a while (but don't remember it.) Did all of two meetings with the boy scouts.

I was a GSR in the Army. We used map and compass. Humorously, we usually got attached to the scouts (military, that is). I remember one exercise where they just got GPS, but we didn't have.

Everytime we were supposed to meet up, they would radio the coordinates to the meeting site. We'd plot it and off we go. Never failed, every time we beat the scouts because they kept getting lost (with their high-speed, high tech GPS).

Made us laugh every time.

Guest Firecat

I joined the Army in 66 and after Basic,AIT,and Jump school, I went to Viet Nam with the 101st airborne then back to the states with the 82nd airborne. Worked with a compass and maps back then but they didn't have GPS back then.At least I never seen one.

Did a 3 year hitch. Anyway I did my part and now I am having fun with Geocaching. What's next.. Firecat

------------------

Milt (Firecat)

Guest emato

I was a Brownie icon_smile.gif not a girlscout. Was in the army - Signal Corp - LOTS of field duty (and poison oak!). I started camping when I was 18 months old - and still enjoy camping to this day. In fact, I'll be going camping (primitive) for a week in a couple of days and plan on taking my new little yellow eTrex with me. I'm totally new to GPS and have been enjoying this forum as much as my new 'toy'.

/emato

Guest emato

I was a Brownie icon_smile.gif not a girlscout. Was in the army - Signal Corp - LOTS of field duty (and poison oak!). I started camping when I was 18 months old - and still enjoy camping to this day. In fact, I'll be going camping (primitive) for a week in a couple of days and plan on taking my new little yellow eTrex with me. I'm totally new to GPS and have been enjoying this forum as much as my new 'toy'.

/emato

Guest snowtrail

I was a girl scout, but the only thing we ever did was make cookies and clean the fully electric/running water cabins we stayed in. Totally jealous of my brother's troop who made tarps and went hiking.

I grew up camping and started backpacking 5 years ago. I've wanted a GPS for the last 3 years and finally decided to get one - but not for camping. I'm addicted to geocaching!

Guest Moss Trooper

I was in Territorial Army for 2 years then joined the regulars, (Royal Armoured Corps, yep a Tanky!!), that lasted 9 years.

Been camping for the last 30 odd years and hill walking for 15 or so. Pretty good with a map and compass, I NEVER EVER get lost... Just slightly misplaced on occasions!! even with my GPS. icon_smile.gif

Guest Moss Trooper

I was in Territorial Army for 2 years then joined the regulars, (Royal Armoured Corps, yep a Tanky!!), that lasted 9 years.

Been camping for the last 30 odd years and hill walking for 15 or so. Pretty good with a map and compass, I NEVER EVER get lost... Just slightly misplaced on occasions!! even with my GPS. icon_smile.gif

Guest CaptHawke

I was a Boy Scout, Star rank, in the 60's and currently a Venturing (BSA's high school age co-ed program) advisor. In between I got involved with competitive orienteering. Our Venturing crew has shown a nack for navigation and 4 of our girls came home from the New England Scout Orineteering Competition last October with tropheys. The kids are planning on Geocaching this summer.

Guest bpuetz

I was a cub scout, boy scout (star if I recall correctly), then U.S. Marine (1968-1972) Vietnam veteran. I just discovered GC, and I hope to do a bit better with it than I managed with my compass in Vietnam. On one patrol I tried to get a fix while resting on top of a burned out truck. Near as I could tell, we were actually standing some 30 miles out to sea!