What is the best geocaching food?

mckee

My wife wanted to pick up some soup on the way to a cache, the stuff they typically serve at a store deli. We were looking for some stuff to leave in a cache, and she decided that she should eat because she gets the low blood sugar thing occasionally, and then she gets crabby. Anyway, she got a Styrafoam cup of soup, which she described as "the perfect food." I told her that was nonsense, particularly if she'd ever tried to drive while eating soup. She said sure, but it's the perfect geocaching food.

How can she think this? Does anybody else eat soup while they cache? Shouldn't we stick with something that doesn't require 2 hands to eat? How will you cache? How will you hold your GPS? How will you move branches and sticker bushes away?

I will admit she didn't spill any, and even brought the empty cup and spork back to the truck, but I just can't believe soup is the perfect geocaching food!

Please note she did NOT fill a cache with soup. That wasn't us, it must have been somebody else.

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

quote:
Originally posted by TheWidget:

Soup can easily be eaten with one hand, especially in a styrafoam cup. It's just like a softdrink then, no spoon required.

Doesn't the Gumbo Moustache look perculiar to other people?

--------------------

They must of not got the mctoy they wanted becvause they play with them in the dirt and then break them....lol

I've never ate while caching...I would say an energy bar, some water, some fruit, trail mix and etc...

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

They must of not got the mctoy they wanted becvause they play with them in the dirt and then break them....lol

I've never ate while caching...I would say an energy bar, some water, some fruit, trail mix and etc...

No soup? icon_frown.gif

--------------------

I sometimes keep a bag of sunflower seeds with me...nice hands free snack while out on the trails.

As for soup in the cache, I think that if you filled an ammo box with a nice hearty soup first thing in the morning on a hot summer day, sealed it up and then came back to it in the evening you'd probably have a nice hot meal all ready to go.

Depending on your region, and if you paint the ammo box black, you could possibly even bake bread in one. There's your geocaching meal! icon_smile.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I try not to eat while geocaching and try not to geocache while I'm eating. Kind of separate activities.

If you are going to be gone all day, there's a few threads in the forums on favorite packable foods.

Soup sure sounds better than junk food, but I would just have it before hitting the trail. That way there is no styrofoam cup to trash out.

Sheesh all this talk about at least marginally health foods. Junk food like twinkies and Ding dongs is the only way to go. Junk food and Mountain Dew.

That way if you get lost in the swamp or get stuck under a rock the animals won't eat you and they will find your body well perserved for your funeral.

I've been pondering MREs. Geocaching always takes far longer than I ever expect it too.

Obviously cachews are the best food to eat while hunting geocaches.....plus the salt from the nuts help replace the salt I lose while sweating my a** off in unpleasantly humid Ohio

It's true that not all who wander are lost, but if I left my GPSr at home, sometimes I am.

Jambalaya!

At last, a topic I can sink my teeth into. icon_smile.gif

I don't carry food very often. I always carry water though (usually too much). I have some of those granola-bar-like things in my pack, but mostly for my kids if they come. You certainly can't go wrong with trail mix / gorp. The CostCo strores around here sell a very good mix (can't think of the name, but it's the purple one), with good dried fruit, nuts, and real M&Ms...

The new MREs are not too bad, and they do last dadgum near forever. I guess the freeze-dried stuff you can get at REI is pretty good too -- ultra-light but a bit expensive.

-BB

icon_cool.gifWell, it was 92° in Portland yesterday. What kind of soup does one eat at that temp? I've had a nice cool pumpkin soup but not while caching.

I still get so wrapped up in the hunt that I forget about food. Water out of necessity, but no time for food when there are caches to be found. Hit a Burgerville on the way home.

What are you looking for?

Since most Geocaches I've read about (and both that I've visited) are close to roads, a Subway sandwich picnic would be perfect.

Or I've got this small picnic pack that has tablecloth, napkins, plastic wine glasses, and a chees cutter. With some wine and cheese, ~that~ would be caching in style!

Best Wishes,

Bob

Originally posted by Titus2_13:

icon_cool.gifWell, it was 92° in Portland yesterday. What kind of soup does one eat at that temp? I've had a nice cool pumpkin soup but not while caching.

I still get so wrapped up in the hunt that I forget about food. Water out of necessity, but no time for food when there are caches to be found.....

gotta agree with titus2 I bring only water and sometimes I even forget that! icon_rolleyes.gif

Whose got time to eat? I completely forget to eat when I'm caching. Its the last thing on my mind...I wait till I'm either done or in-between caches and grab a LARGE vanilla/chocolate twist creemee at the nearest icecream stand I can find. Thats my treat to myself for finding a cache icon_wink.gifand its the perfect food for hot weather caching too.

but if I was forced to bring something along with me I probably would bring trailbars and/or sunflower seeds.

Not hungry yet....

Foxgloves

"A bad day of caching is still better than a good day at work"

~Foxgloves~

quote:
Originally posted by Bobthearch:

Or I've got this small picnic pack that has tablecloth, napkins, plastic wine glasses, and a chees cutter. With some wine and cheese, ~that~ would be caching in style!

Finally, someone who caches like we do! Trail mix? No way! We'll take a nice Merlot, some cheese and crackers, maybe a roasted chicken, a five-mile hike to the top of a mountain, and then ENJOY!

Try it once and you'll never eat trail mix again.

With kids in tow, I always have a few "fruit" rollups and "fruit" snacks in the pack. Considered standard gear, along with water. They don't seem to go bad either.

Last year I unfortunately started a tradition. One Sunday we went caching instead of doing more important things. (I just had to get that TB). So I had to come up with lunch. In a hurry and not wanting to make three different menus, I packed apples, with a small freezer bag of peanut butter and a small freezer bag of marshmallow fluff. No sandwiches to crush, no stuff to keep cold. We're outta here.

We found the cache, then spread out a poncho for the picnic on the hike back. I sliced the apples top to bottom, snipped a corner of the bags, and loaded the apple slabs up. By The Girls' (wife/mom included) reaction you would have thought I pulled a roast chicken with all the fixin's out of my pack.

Now, The Girls want it to go caching for lunch. They want to go to one that is long enough to require a rest break. Because then they can have this impromptu treat.

Be careful coming up with good ideas - you might just have to do them.

Gazza

"I'm not lost. I'm field checking."

Anything at a 7-11. Think about it. Slim jim, candy bay, power bar, donuts, hot dog, hot pocket..etc.. any of these can be eaten with one hand while driving. Plus...have you ever been to a cache and not seen a 7-11 on the way. Of coarse this may only apply for us NY cachers.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

you take one of those frozen shrimp rings. they defrost while you hunt. those fake crab legs also do the same. and you can toss edamame in a bag with some salt and you're golden.

we also like fresh fruit energy bars, muffins, bread with some kind of nut butter, mixed nuts, trail mix, and there's a brand of soy protein shake that we think is tasty.

little caviar sandwiches witht he crusts cut off are also good.

i have not tried soup, bu i hadn't tought of the spoon free option. i'm adding it to my list.

-====)) -))))))))))))

presta schrader

"Scotty, we need more power!"

in your best Irish brogue "But capin, I'm givin' ya all she's got"

For me the best power food is the 3 square meals and leave off the booster fuel. But in a low energy situation, dried fruit is an easy carry and natural solution. And with all the food wrappers…CITO goes without saying…wait, I just said it!!

Bob ~

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

I dehydrate fruits/veggies/beef etc. I also take along altoids. I always have a can in my jeep on the dash.

As for baana chips, dehydrate yourself, they are excellent. store bought, even from nature stores are nasty. To many preservatives.

As for the soup, I thinks it cambells soup that has the soup in hand container that you can drink from it.

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?