Being a geocacher saved me $113, and I should be dead right now.

TEAM 360

I went up to Albuquerque this weekend for the Great Albuquerque Cache hunt and also to hit some caches while I was up there. Sure enough, I got stopped by Sergeant Camacho of the Rio Rancho DPS. Seems I forgot to put on my seat belt. They can pull you over for that in New Mexico. Well, he asked for the usual: license, registration...(yes sir, no sir, respect FIRST)then asked if I was just visiting. I told him I was up there for a geocaching meeting, and he was curious about what geocaching was. AHA! A chance to get another recruit! I explained what geocaching was and showed off my Meridian Platinum. He thought it was an interesting hobby and that he had to get a GPSr, as he often dirtbiked out in the desert and didn't want to get lost. Told me to hang on a minute and then he went back to his cruiser. When he came back he gave me a WARNING, not a ticket (which would have been $113, for no seatbelt!). You better believe I thanked him!

I found out a long time ago that if you speak with respect and relax a bit, most cops will see that you are not one of the bad guys. I bet they enjoy a little chat, after dealing with upset people and sitting in a car all day.

Anyways, later on in the day, I hit the Ventenas Trail Cache with GPSaxophone, then got a cold drink at the Sax home, not far away. Just before I hit the road, he came up to the truck to pick up some paper on his yard. I took 3 seconds to make some remark about "trashing out your own front yard" (CITO). Had he not done that, I would have been 3 seconds further down the highway and been crushed between 2 semis as one of them swerved across traffic and slammed into the other one! Pictures are on the cache page, on my August 10th log entry. Pays to be nice to cops and to clean up! I think yesterday was my lucky day.

Hmmmm, In a round about way, I also got a warning ticket in Holbrook AZ. while headed toward Albq. NM to meet the Sax man too. The fact that we didn't meet is on another thread.

I gave the cop my printout for a nearby virt that I didn't have time to stop for and showed him my GPS. He seemed very interested. I was a regular "Johnny Geocaching Seed" on my vacation. icon_biggrin.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I found out a long time ago that if you speak with respect and relax a bit, most cops will see that you are not one of the bad guys. I bet they enjoy a little chat, after dealing with upset people and sitting in a car all day.

It seems like a pretty simple concept huh? But I'm amazed at how many people think that arguing with a cop will have a desirable effect. I have a friend who can not just take a ticket, he must argue. One time when he started to argue with the cop that pulled me over, I had to tell him to shut up, (bet the cop got a kick out of that) I still got that ticket. But I have received warnings when a ticket would have been fair.

OK back on topic,

Glad it worked out for you TEAM 360.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

...I'm amazed at how many people think that arguing with a cop will have a desirable effect. I have a friend who can not just take a ticket, he must argue. One time when he started to argue with the cop that pulled me over, I had to tell him to shut up, (bet the cop got a kick out of that) I still got that ticket. But I have received warnings when a ticket would have been fair.

It is a well known rule of negotiation, that when you are dealing with someone who has the absolute power to determine the outcome of an issue for or against you, the first thing you do is to completely submit to, and acknowledge his power without question. That simple acknowledgment will be far more persuasive than rational or vigorous argument. Your act of submission, actually gives the one in power more satisfaction to exercise his/her power in your favour than to exercise it against you.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
It is a well known rule of negotiation, that when you are dealing with someone who has the absolute power to determine the outcome of an issue for or against you, the first thing you do is to completely submit to, and acknowledge his power without question.

I have found that this doesn't work in the corporate world where the Pointy Haired Bosses expect you to obey out of fear for your job. While they derrive plenty of satisfacting from your act of submission, it does not incline them to be generous, it only reinforces their opinion that they are right.

I have also learned that it's not worth the agrivation of submitting to tyrants like that. You should see the looks I get whenever I make any sort of comment that contradicts them. Of course, I'd get in a lot more trouble if I weren't the best at what I do.

89355_500.gif

Thiis story reminds me of a similar experience I had about 10 years ago. I was pulled over and went through a similar answering of questions. Then the state trooper spotted my tin of Copenhagen on the dash. He commented and then I saw the familar circle in the pocket of his shirt. We got into a discussion of dipping. I was happy to drive away with only a warning.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

It is a well known rule of negotiation, that when you are dealing with someone who has the absolute power to determine the outcome of an issue for or against you, the first thing you do is to completely submit to, and acknowledge his power without question. That simple acknowledgment will be far more persuasive than rational or vigorous argument. Your act of submission, actually gives the one in power more satisfaction to exercise his/her power in your favour than to exercise it against you.

Funny how this applies to dealing with admins who deny your virtual caches as well.

I was going to post the story of how lucky I was this weekend. I put down my GPSr to take some pictures at this cache. After exploring the area for a while I hiked back to my car and drove to the parking area for the next cache. When I got there I couldn't find my GPSr. I had to drive back to the first cache and hike 1.2 miles back to where I had put down my GPSr. It was right where I left it.

I was going to write in my log about how it was unfair that this virtual was approved while the one I had just submitted was archived. But when I got home, I had email from the admin that my cache would be unarchived.

I thought I was lucky, till I saw Team360's post.

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?[/i

Once while driving across I-10 in La. I was pulled over, and the policeman was letting me known I was exceeding the speed limit, when he saw the GPSr velcroed to the dash. We spent 20+ minutes discussing GPSr and Geocaching. He mentioned his son would probably be really interested too. I only got a warning and maybe he's out with his son now.

Just goes to prove I'll do what ever is needed to get people involve in geocaching, even risk a speeding ticket! icon_wink.gif