So, I guess that "GX" logo is 'official'?

Rubbertoe

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Can someone refresh me on why we're not ready for a vote? We will NEVER come up with a logo that EVERYONE likes. That's why the democratic voting process was invented.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Gee, I don't know. [1] Maybe the fact that this whole logo thing is only about a week old might have something to do with it.

Fair enough. So how about we set a deadline for submissions, and a date the vote will take place on?

quote:
[2] Maybe the fact that several people have expressed valid concerns about the Gx logo might have something to do with it, too.

If the concerns are widespread enough, that design will get voted down. I never suggested that we simply make the Gx logo official. I suggested that we VOTE on it. What part of 'vote' do I need to explain?

quote:
And your comments about the "democratic process" are insulting to those of us who actually believe in a democratic process.

What exactly did I say that was insulting? Please clarify, and I will offer an apology, if appropriate.

quote:
What do they teach in the schools in Michigan, anyway?

Similar subjects as they teach in California, I imagine (since we have national standards). If you weren't being sarcastic, and seriously want a breakdown, I'd be happy to e-mail you the list (to the best of my knowledge, anyway...it's been a few years since I graduated). Just let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Can someone refresh me on why we're not ready for a vote? We will NEVER come up with a logo that EVERYONE likes. That's why the democratic voting process was invented.

As they say in my industry, "It's time to shoot the engineer, and go into production." icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Gee, let's give it a LITTLE time. It's only been a week. Just like your industry, the production crew always gives the engineers unreasonable deadlines icon_wink.gif .

Sure, that sounds reasonable. icon_smile.gif (I personally sympathize with the engineers. They are a poorly misunderstood, and under-appreciated group of individuals.)

So, for the twenty four thousand question...what sounds like a reasonable amount of time to continue taking submissions?

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

If I like a logo, and the vote supports another logo, I can't use the logo I like, even though its public domain?

Of course you can. icon_smile.gif

The idea of having an "official" logo is for the 'instant recognition' factor of a single logo that's popularly used throughout the community.

However, individuals (or groups) could still use anything they like for their own personal use (or whatever other use they may have). The only downside is that people may not as quickly recognize the symbol as a representation of Geocaching. (And some may not even consider that a downside. They may enjoy having a sense of uniqueness in their own logo.)

A vote isn't going to make any difference. Everyone already knows which logos they like and are going to use them regardless of the outcome of any vote, IMO. Some cachers already have new avatars and t-shirts, other cachers will never even pay attention to this logo issue at all.

If just for curiousity's sake, then I can understand taking a vote. I'm curious as to where everyone is leaning, too. But otherwise, its virtually pointless.

We've already seen rapid adaptations of one logo and more will no doubt appear as time goes by. That's cool. I'm still working on my logo - I'll be in the "renegade camp" if anyone cares to join me. icon_wink.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

There is too much discussion on whether there should be a vote or not. If you don't like the idea of a vote - then don't vote. If you don't like the winning logo - then don't use it.

Let people vote if they want to. End of discussion.

(Well, it probably just started... icon_rolleyes.gif)

quote:
Originally posted by Gustaf:

There is too much discussion on whether there should be a vote or not. If you don't like the idea of a vote - then don't vote. If you don't like the winning logo - then don't use it.

Let people vote if they want to. End of discussion.

(Well, it probably just started... icon_rolleyes.gif)

Sounds good to me.

(As long as we don't have a vote.)

The vote for a logo is unneeded. What is needed is a spot on this forum for a "brand registration area". If I want to use a particular logo on my signature items or as my avatar, great. I will list it. Everyone will see it and some other user in the area will be able to set their avatar to be different enough from mine to be unique.

We're cool right where we are.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I don't think it matters if there's an "official unofficial" logo. There's going to be permutations and variations, but people will generally get the idea as to the meaning.

I REALLY like the concept of a "GX" abbreviation. It reminds me of the ham/shortwave abbreviation "DX" which seems appropriate in this context.

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

The "GX" logo looks great - congratulations to its creator.

However, wasn't the whole point to make an 'unofficial' logo for 'the rest of us' - so declaring an _official_ unofficial logo seems to be missing the whole point to me... icon_biggrin.gif

..sort of like those soda adds that say "You are an individual! You are different! So drink XYZ, which is the choice of _all_ individualists! Don't be left out!" icon_wink.gif

What about creating a unifying symbol. After all it's now about us, individuals and groups, not sites and advertisments. Isn't what we are trying to come up with a representation that identifies us to both the informed world as well as the uninformed.

CacheAholic (Trying to find my Avatar)