So, I guess that "GX" logo is 'official'?

Rubbertoe

It seems that a lot of people have already decided that the "GX" logo is going to be the one... just wondered how/when an official decision and announcement will be made. I see one feller is already selling merchandise with the logo on it - and of all the GX logos, he chose the one that was the most plain and boring, imho.

Anyway - just wondering if there will be a vote or anything... or if it is a done deal or something. icon_smile.gif

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

Wondering if I should wait a while for that "GX logo" tattoo on my butt.

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on October 11, 2002 at 10:36 PM.]

I liked what someone else said in another thread (no, I'm not going to go hunt it out) that if you like a logo, use it.

I like the GX logo, so I'm using it. It seems a lot of other people feel the same way, and that's fine.

If the logos are public domain, do we need to vote? Just use the one you like - I guess the GX one is the most recogniseable at the moment, so in a way it is the 'official' unofficial logo.

But if there's another logo that you like - whatever one that may be - use it. Others may like it, and start using it too. Hell, they might all be recogniseable symbols of Geocaching, and what's wrong with that?

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

Personally, I'd like to see some more renderings of the GX logo. Some that will work with different fonts--my varient was for the Optima font family. To me, trying to put either of the two present versions in with Arial or most other sans-serif fonts just doesn't get it for me.

Maybe, if I have some time this weekend, I'll whip up a couple or three new varients.

But, I guess the GX logo is it! Good job Leatherman!

CR

A quick, simple, stupid question: What does the X stand for? Is it for "X marks the spot" of the cache (which I thought it did), or does it represent longitude and latitude (as I read in someone's personal homepage)? I know, it can be whatever you want it to be, but what was the original intent?

The Cache is Out There,

FISUR

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I see one feller is already selling merchandise with the logo on it - and of all the GX logos, he chose the one that was the most plain and boring, imho.

Anyway - just wondering if there will be a vote or anything... or if it is a done deal or something. icon_smile.gif

Actually, I *LIKE* the one Skydiver chose. What you call plain and boring, I call clean, simple, easily recognizable. easily customizable, and easy to reproduce. Sure, some of the fancier ones look really nice on a coin, or webpage, but try drawing them. Or carving them into a stamp. Or modifying them to incorporate a team logo and still be recognizable. Since they are all in the public domain, feel free to use whatever one YOU like, but by looking at all the avatars and sig images, it's pretty obvious most prefer the GX logo in some form or other

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:

It seems that a lot of people have already decided that the "GX" logo is going to be the one...

Far be it from me to rain on anyone's parade especially when there's already a growing consensus, so this is intended only as a benign constructive comment. However, I can't help noticing that this GX logo (as it now stands) gives me the strong impression of being some sort of ominous religious cult symbol, like you'd see spray-painted defiantly on the side of a highway overpass. Part of the problem, I feel, is that the "X" appears more like a cross because it is formed from the (normally) horizontal stroke of the "G." Perhaps if the "X" were separated and rotated and reduced to look more like the mark it's supposed to be? Please don't misunderstand--I'm not knocking the GX concept or the grunge motif--it's really quit fine, in my opinion, as are many of the variations I've seen of it. It's the dark, religious, almost-sinister cult-worship appearance that mostly turns me off. That's simply how I perceive it and it's quite likely I'm the only one that does. To me it just doesn't portray the same light-hearted, fun-filled identity that the Geocaching.com logo does ... which is what this sport is about, right? I think it's very important to consider all aspects of a logo design, it's potential implications and how it might be perceived before getting too carried away with it, so that's why I thought I should mention this. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:

Put one foot in front of the other,

and soon you'll be walkin' cross the floor...

Put one foot in front of the other,

and soon you'll be walkin' out the door!

Toe, you have been watching one too many cartoons.

Oh, wait... Since I know the reference, I must have been as well. Nevermind. icon_wink.gif

66427_2400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

However, I can't help noticing that this GX logo (as it now stands) gives me the strong impression of being some sort of ominous religious cult symbol, like you'd see spray-painted defiantly on the side of a highway overpass.

It does look a little like a graffiti tag, I'll grant, but I can't see it as a cult symbol (except possibly The Order Of The Twelve Monkeys)

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

... I can't help noticing that this GX logo (as it now stands) gives me the strong impression of being some sort of ominous religious cult symbol, like you'd see spray-painted defiantly on the side of a highway overpass. Part of the problem, I feel, is that the "X" appears more like a _cross_ because it is formed from the (normally) horizontal stroke of the "G." Perhaps if the "X" were separated and rotated and reduced to look more like the mark it's supposed to be? ...

_~Rich in NEPA~_

funny thing rich, i looked at the Gx and saw a ham sandwich and a can of beer. icon_wink.gif

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

It does look a little like a graffiti tag, I'll grant, but I can't see it as a cult symbol (except possibly The Order Of The Twelve Monkeys)

Certainly, if I'm the only one that sees it this way, then there's no problem, right?! I guess what I'm saying is that for me the current design doesn't portray an activity that is "sporting" and "fun-filled," but is more like something you'd see in an "Exorcist" movie. (For example, a smaller "X" mark with a flag in it, or with a dotted trail leading to it might help.) I imagine it ought to be an uplifting symbol--one that even makes you smile! I like the idea of keeping it simple and elegant, too. Too many complex elements limits its usefulness.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on October 12, 2002 at 06:42 AM.]

quote:

Certainly, if I'm the only one that sees it this way, then there's no problem, right?!

You're not the only one who sees religious symbolism in the Gx design. I do, too. I am torn, though, because although I like the basic concept, I have to admit that this symbol is not one that says "outdoor fun" to someone previously unfamiliar with it.

There are several minor modifications that could remove the quasi-religious overtones. Letherman's original alternative, with the 'X' entirely separated from the 'G', is a good example. Another would be the use of curved lines to form the 'X'.

I think we should encourage more discussion about these issues before accepting the logo unconditionally.

I can see some symbolism in the logo. My rendition has the east pointing arm of the X a little longer, so now it looks like a cross lying on it's side. I can fix that.

As for the symbol as a whole, I can see how it can be linked to the Anarchist symbol or how it might have a little Blair Witch in it. But what to do? Unless somebody comes up with something better, this is it.

If someone has a concept, but can't render it, email me at cr@sc.rr. com (remove the space) and I'll see what I can do.

CR

Rich,

Apparently you're not the only one who sees a religious overtone in an X (though I'm sure it is completely unintentional):

quote:

I. PRIMITIVE CRUCIFORM SIGNS

The sign of the cross, represented in its simplest form by a crossing of two lines at right angles, greatly antedates, in both the East and the West, the introduction of Christianity. It goes back to a very remote period of human civilization. In fact, some have sought to attach to the widespread use of this sign, a real ethnographic importance. It is true that in the sign of the cross the decorative and geometrical concept, obtained by a juxtaposition of lines pleasing to the sight, is remarkably prominent; nevertheless, the cross was originally not a mere means or object of ornament, and from the earliest times had certainly another -- i.e. symbolico-religious -- significance. The primitive form of the cross seems to have been that of the so-called "gamma" cross (crux gammata), better known to Orientalists and students of prehistoric archæology by its Sanskrit name, swastika.

Personally, I didn't notice the religious aspect of the symbol, but now I see it every time I look at it. Even Centaur's sig looks like a shield from the crusades.

Still, I like it. But I'm waiting to see what Fractal comes up with. I don't know if he's trying, but I know it would be interesting.

The "GX" logo looks great - congratulations to its creator.

However, wasn't the whole point to make an 'unofficial' logo for 'the rest of us' - so declaring an official unofficial logo seems to be missing the whole point to me... icon_biggrin.gif

..sort of like those soda adds that say "You are an individual! You are different! So drink XYZ, which is the choice of all individualists! Don't be left out!" icon_wink.gif

I don’t think we need to “vote” on it, or even make it “official”. If you like a particular logo (and there have been many goods ones submitted) - then just use it - and if others like it - suggest that they use it. My guess is - one logo will quickly become dominant - like the Gx. I like the Gx for a number of reasons, including the fact that others appear to like it and are prepared to use it. If you like it then just use it - put it on all of your cache descriptions (I did) and use it in your signature, put it on your cache containers and on the notebooks.

geol1.jpg

About that GX: It's not the potential cult, religious, anarchist, or satanic imagery that bothers me. It's the potential for gang affiliation. Are you down with with GX's or the GG's (Gustaf Globes)? It could be like the Blood versus the Crips and the Sharks versus the Jets. There could be drive-by caching, the tagging of ammo boxes, the wearing of colors, and the occasional beat-downs. Then there would be the need for federal funding for gang intervention programs. It could get messy and expensive.

"making it official"

The only reason I was wondering if it was the "official" logo - is because I thought that was why they were being submitted in the first place... to become the "official" (yet non-geocaching.com based) logo for all geocachers.

If everyone still just uses whatever they want, there will still be lots of variations out there - unless, like you said, that people just start adopting it.

I just assumed that eventually there would be some sort of decree that "this logo" will be the official public domain logo, and that a request would be made that people start using it whenever possible.

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

Why all the logo bashing?

I think most of you with the reasons why the GX is wrong either didn't submit anything or have "logo envy" becuase yours wasn't chosen.

The GX will only become 'official' if people use it in any variant. Nobody can just declare it even if there was a vote.

Get it! Use it! Promote it!

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

The logo is supposed to make you think of geocaching when you see it. That is impossible if we all use different logos or different variations of a logo.

I will use the logo that gets the most votes, so you won't see any drive by caching from us "Globes". And I just might vote for the GX myself. I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

About that GX: It's not the potential cult, religious, anarchist, or satanic imagery that bothers me. It's the potential for gang affiliation. Are you down with with GX's or the GG's (Gustaf Globes)? It could be like the Blood versus the Crips and the Sharks versus the Jets. There could be drive-by caching, the tagging of ammo boxes, the wearing of colors, and the occasional beat-downs. Then there would be the need for federal funding for gang intervention programs. It could get messy and expensive.

But think about the money that we could make from the federal grants to help wayward "cache-heads" get away from cache gangs. Think about the reward money for turning in manufacturers of topo maps and GPS "dealers:...We could get rich and be loggin' finds from the carribean long before the Republicans find out about it and the Democrats will admit to the lack of need for the programs.

Its all about the (Where's George) Benjamins... icon_wink.gif

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I have been away from the threads lately. I assume there was a trademark issue?

I like the GX logo. Who do I thank for that?

All thanks should go to Leatherman for his original design.

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I like the GX logo. Who do I thank for that?

Leatherman, Of course!

icon_wink.gif

PS: There might be a slight case of copyright infringement in this variation of your logo...

Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars I thought 'Where the hell is the ceiling'?

[This message was edited by brdad on October 12, 2002 at 03:10 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

A quick, simple, stupid question: What does the X stand for? Is it for "X marks the spot" of the cache (which I thought it did), or does it represent longitude and latitude (as I read in someone's personal homepage)? I know, it can be whatever you want it to be, but what was the original intent?

The Cache is Out There,

FISUR

That's Jed Clampett's signature.

quote:

(For example, a smaller "X" mark with a flag in it, or with a dotted trail leading to it might help.) I imagine it ought to be an uplifting symbol--one that even makes you smile! I like the idea of keeping it simple and elegant, too. Too many complex elements limits its usefulness.

I don't see the cult connection, it looks more like a X than a cross to me. Although a cross is normally thought of as upright, a X can be considered a cross as well.

When I first saw it, I thought of "X marks the spot". That makes more sense to me than a flag, but to some a flag might make more sense than a X. I have yet to find a cache with either a flag or a X, but even before geocaching existed, to me X marked the spot and a flag marked where the golf ball should go.

As far as the dotted trail idea, one of Leatherman's submissions was a similar logo with a dotted "G" leading to the X, but I like the solid G better.

A cross is simply two intersecting lines. There's no reason the fear or shun the cross, it doesn't automatically tie you to any religion or cult. If it did, you would have to avoid the Blue Cross, the Red Cross, tic-tac-toe, any crosswalk or crossroad, and don't even think of searching for a cache cross-country.

I think that if you look hard enough at anything you will see what you want to see. If you squint at the yellow portiion of the geocaching logo long enough, you will see a crooked cross with a decapitated head screaming in pain icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by cachew nut on October 13, 2002 at 09:08 PM.]

I have to admit that my first impression about the simplest GX logo was that it reminded me of some kind of cult marking as well. Blair Witch stuff came to mind to be more precise, then i see about 6 replies up where Firefishe makes that same reference. As others have stated, i know it wasnt meant to be taken that way, but theres gonna be people out and about that are going to see it that way!

By the way,imho, those personalized versions do look better, especially those with color in them!

quote:
Rusty said:

I think most of you with the reasons why the GX is wrong either didn't submit anything or have "logo envy" becuase yours wasn't chosen.

I didn't submit anything. I don't like the GX. It's as simple as that. Why do I need a reason not to like it? I don't care much for brussels sprouts either... perhaps because I never submitted my own vegetable.

V7L

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

I think that if you look hard enough at anything you will see what you want to see. If you squint at the yellow portiion of the geocaching logo long enough, you will see a crooked cross with a decapitated head screaming in pain icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by cachew nut on October 13, 2002 at 09:08 PM.]

I know what I'm gonna be for halloween now!

quote:
Originally posted by Gustaf:

I'm voting for a vote

The logo is supposed to make you think of geocaching when you see it. That is impossible if we all use different logos or different variations of a logo.

I will use the logo that gets the most votes, so you won't see any drive by caching from us "Globes". And I just might vote for the GX myself. I like it.

Well said. My sentiments, exactly. It seems like people would rather hash and rehash than to just choose something and go forward. icon_confused.gif

In the MiGO group, the voting on a logo of our own will begin on November 1st. At this point, we're considering Leatherman's Gx logo to be the 'unoffical official' global geoaching symbol that we'd like to incorporate into it.

If the group here can agree to make something official, it would be nice to have a vote take place in time adjust our internal direction, if necessary. If we'd all rather discuss and argue until the sport dies out, then the idea of creating a universally accepted 'public domain' logo will basically have been a waste of everyone's time.

Can someone refresh me on why we're not ready for a vote? We will NEVER come up with a logo that EVERYONE likes. That's why the democratic voting process was invented.

As they they in my industry, "It's time to shoot the engineer, and go into production." icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Can someone refresh me on why we're not ready for a vote? We will NEVER come up with a logo that EVERYONE likes. That's why the democratic voting process was invented.

As they they in my industry, "_It's time to shoot the engineer, and go into production._" icon_biggrin.gif

Gee, let's give it a LITTLE time. It's only been a week. Just like your industry, the production crew always gives the engineers unreasonable deadlines icon_wink.gif .

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Gee, I don't know. Maybe the fact that this whole logo thing is only about a week old might have something to do with it.

Maybe the fact that several people have expressed valid concerns about the Gx logo might have something to do with it, too.

And your comments about the "democratic process" are insulting to those of us who actually believe in a democratic process. What do they teach in the schools in Michigan, anyway?