moth balls

Guest 300mag

Guest 300mag

I have noticed a lot of people useing these moth balls in there gardens to keep cats or dogs out.I just had one of my caches trashed by the looks of it bears.I am considering putting a few around the cache site or in the cache itself.This might make them change their caching idea icon_biggrin.gif

Did anyone try this?

Guest IronHelix

an interesting idea... not sure about around the cache as this might contaminate the area.

Would moth balls mess up a dessicant pack (silica jel balls)?

Also I would think that for an ammo box, the applying oil to the seal might generate enough 'stink' to keep stuff away

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by IronHelix:

..... applying oil to the seal might generate enough 'stink' to keep stuff away

Depends on type of oil. Bears and some other critters might like the smell of dead dinosaur extract.

Moth balls might not be a great idea to put around the cache. Naphalene is a poison. No one is going to eat it except a small child that comes along for the hunt thinking it is candy. If it is laying out in an arid environment she might be able to get it into her mouth before the smell deters her.

Putting napthalene in the cache would saturate everything inside with gas sublimating from the crysatals. It would go away quickly after a treasure was removed but initially the treasure would be an unpleasant find.

You would find log book remarks, "sheesh, this place smells like my grandmothers .........."

Guest 300mag

Thanks for the info.WaylandersMa. I laughed about that grandmothers comment icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully the bears will lose their geocaching habit.This time i did not include candies in the cache and have posted not to include any food to it. Never know it might of been A&W root bear. icon_biggrin.gif