NPS reports geocaching incident

Esca

I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, but I found the following report on the NPS website:

02-056 - Lake Roosevelt NRA (WA) - Geocaching Incident

Rangers recently conducted an investigation into geocaching in the park.

Geocaching is a sport in which individuals or organizations cache materials

at particular locations, then provide the GPS coordinates via the Internet

so that other people can attempt to find them. Some times caching entails

digging, which presents obvious problems in national parks. On February

27th, Patrick Hall asked permission to bury a geocache within the park's

historic Fort Spokane Unit. During the conversation, Hall made several

statements which revealed that he'd previously been investigated by the US

Fish and Wildlife Service for this same activity, and that other geocaches

might already be buried within the park. Ranger Jaime Green investigated

and found that two caches had already been buried near Fort Spokane by a

geocache player known as "Fuzzybear." Additional investigation uncovered a

connection between "Fuzzybear" and Hall. Hall was interviewed and admitted

placing both caches. Parks concerned about this activity within their

boundaries may go to http://www.geocaching.com and search for caches

located in their areas. [Chris Rugel, DR, Fort Spokane District, LARO, 3/8]

Here is the page:

NPS Morning Report

I just started geocaching. I have mixed feelings about leaving caches on public lands. If no harm is done to the land or the park, it should probably be okay. It seems that this guy was going to bury his cache.

Comments? Suggestions?

ESCA

Yeah, this one has floated around here for awhile. We haven't graced the pages of the NPS Morning Report in some time now. The problem with caching on NPS is they have a policy against it. Whether it is buried, what envirommental impact it may or may not have is not taken into consideration. While we may not completely agree with this policy, and we certainly don't have nearly the impact snowmobiling, RVing etc. already going on has, the simple fact is we have been asked NOT to put them on NPS land. The folks that disregard this ain't exactly helping our chances of ever getting this policy changed.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by MGGPS:

How are the Feds making the connection between the logon name and the real name?

Ahh! They make the connection through the super-secret 25th GPS satellite which keeps track of our position at all times and can also take high resolution photos of us signing the logs while the xray feature scans our drivers licenses. This satellite has also been linked to making socks disappear from the dryer and reprogramming our VCRs to blink 12:00 constantly. There also also yet unconfirmed rumors that this is the satellite that makes the arrow on your GPSr spin in circles when close to a cache. This is actually the satellite making a scan of your general surroundings. Ok, Ok, if NPS learns of a cache they could always email the placer from the cache page. If that doesn't get the trick done. I would imagine they would remove (and destroy) the cache themselves and notify geocaching.com

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

Topics like this, I don't mind getting rehashed. I think that refreshing conversation (not beating a dead horse) is particularly useful for newbies and even folks that have been doing it for a while. Maybe this thread will once again spark a little activism to get the policies reviewed.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I don't see a problem with placing a secure cache on public land. I do see a problem with placing them way off paths where off path hiking is prohibited. I also have a problem with digging for a cache. But leaving a cache next to a tree or other good hiding place dosen't disturb the wildlife anymore then building a path through the woods.

I don't get lost...just sometimes can't figure out how to get where I'm going.

I wouldn't bury a cache myself, because of the obvious problems:

1. It makes the cache inaccessable to anyone except people who come with digging equipment.

2. It is a pain in the (explitive) to get to a buried cache, this would discourage cachers from visiting your cache.

3. It can disrupt and damage property, espicially in areas like parks.

Like everyone has said before, DON'T BURY CACHES!

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

Some caches in California State Parks are even visited by the rangers. Check out the April 16th log http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4926

http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru/images/stealyourcache.jpg

This one surprised me when it popped up.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18609

Check out his profile.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

This cache was hidden by a park ranger, too. On the first page of the logbook inside the cache, he invites you to come visit him in the office.

The kicker? This cache is partially buried. It's a bucket sunk into the ground with the lit exposed.

I guess when you're a park ranger, you do what you want.

Jamie