Absence of On-Line Logging

Guest JIntorcio

Guest JIntorcio

I'm noticing a trend... It seems that more and more cache visits are taking place without being logged here at Geocaching.com.

While perfectly good and fair, this practice cuts down on the voyeuristic enjoyment of visits to your cash. Take Eric?s Adventure for example. A May 6 log says ?Wow, I was the 6th person to visit this cache this weekend!? yet the previous on-line log entry was from two weeks earlier!

What we need is a) an auto-logger that sends a signal to the website each time the cache lid is opened which is automatically logged on the cache?s page, or :) more folks taking the time to enter on-line logs on their return!

Thoughts?

------------------

>>> John <<<

Guest makaio

Many folks prefer not to log their visits online for a myriad of reasons. Most prevelent being the requirement to register with geocaching.com in order to 'login' to record the visit. This process places a 'cookie' on your system and some folks just don't like that. It's certainly their perogative. IMO, it's prefectly fine not to log one's visit online. In fact, it could help to get cache owners to check up on their caches more often if they're interested in knowing about every visit to theri caches.

Guest jeremy

Just so folks know, I only use session cookies on Geocaching.com - Your cookie expires about 45 minutes after leaving the site.

But I agree - It's your decision whether to log the cache online. I think it's kind of cool to visit a cache sometimes and see more people who logged it there than on the site.

Jeremy

Guest Mike_Teague

I concur.. even though I've come to enjoy the online logs, there are a few I've visited that I have not logged on the site, and I enjoy seeing about twice the logs in the actual book than on the site on my own caches..

it does give you a reason to go out there and check on yer caches!

Guest 300mag

I also like very much to read the different logs.I had placed a new cache "King of the mountain".No one had logged it in.Then one day someone finally logged it.He also told me he found the cache log book out of the cache and the zip lock torn open beside it. icon_frown.gif I was then reassured when he showed me pictures of the cache and told about the caches contents.It didn't seem that anything was missing.Too bad they didn't log in they would of been the first to log it.At least they didn't remove it.This cache really has a spectacular view of the region.

Guest 300mag

I also like very much to read the different logs.I had placed a new cache "King of the mountain".No one had logged it in.Then one day someone finally logged it.He also told me he found the cache log book out of the cache and the zip lock torn open beside it. icon_frown.gif I was then reassured when he showed me pictures of the cache and told about the caches contents.It didn't seem that anything was missing.Too bad they didn't log in they would of been the first to log it.At least they didn't remove it.This cache really has a spectacular view of the region.

Guest bunkerdave

I can't speak for anyone else, but I log mine into the website before I even go to bed each day of hunting. I am too competitive to not keep it up, and I love to see what my counterparts have been up to. I guess if people are no going to log theirs in, that's fine, too, but I have enjoyed catching and passing other fellow geocachers in the number of finds. All in good fun, mind you.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Seven people made it to Bass Hole r1.x so far by the log. I have been lucky with visitors e-logging. Only 2 haven't, 1 was an accident visit, 1 was a 'not logger'. An additional attempt was sent via e-mail, dark, no flashlight etc. I leave my e-addy at my caches ( capecache@hotmail.com )cuz I'd like to hear from people. My $0.02