Cache tech

writer

I'm planning my first cache (and working on the geocaching book) and am interested in what works best for the actual containers. I'm assuming that plastic is usually best (though I noticed at least one cache that had problems with an animal chewing on a plastic container). Any other suggestions? What is most waterproof? (Short of getting a Pelican container.) Have you ever tried putting plastic wrap under the lid to improve the seal? Any problems with breakage? Do metal containers usually rust out? Anything you definitely wouldn't do?

Inquiring minds want to know...

quote:
Originally posted by writer:

I'm interested in what works best for the actual containers.

Overall, ammo cans really do seem to work best (for all the reasons mentioned above). The only time I'd recommend Tupperware/Rubbermaid instead, is if the cache is hidden in a place that people might get spooked by something that looks like it could contain something omimous. Plastic containers are generally see-through, which makes them seem a little less threatening. (My only occasional complaint with ammo cans is that they tend to be kind of noisy when opening them. It can make it a challenge to be discreet and 'natural' sounding in the the woods.) In general, though, ammo cans just can't be beat. Be sure to mark it clearly on the outside as a GEOCACHE, and there shouldn't be any concern, even if a non-cacher stumbles across it.

quote:
Have you ever tried putting plastic wrap under the lid to improve the seal?

One rule of thumb I've learned over the past year is that you can't count on anyone to put things back the way they were originally arranged (that includes plastic under/over the lid, any kind of camouflage covering the container, like branches or leaves, etc.) In general, the more idiot (or 'careless') proof your container and hiding places are, the better off you are. I've found many plastic containers that didn't have the seal all the way on. With an ammo can, it's almost impossible to accidentally leave the lid unsealed.

quote:
Any problems with breakage?

Yes, I've seen many (usually cheap) containers that end up cracked or chewed on. If you live in a climate that goes through freezing/thawing cycles, that's something to keep in mind, too.

quote:
Anything you definitely wouldn't do?

I definitely advise against Gladware or Ziplock type bowls, or anything that doesn't have a good, watertight seal; or anything that will be difficult to open or close in all types of weather.

Good luck with your first cache placement. I think you'll find it's a lot of fun reading of people's adventures. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
I'm planning my first cache (and working on the geocaching book)

First, how can you write a book about our sport with limited experience?

Second, you asked about cache containers. Ammo boxes, ammo boxes and ammo boxes...with the ocassional decon container

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
First, how can you write a book about our sport with limited experience?

Was it not discussed to a big extent in another thread??

The guy is trying to make some experiences so that he can write the book....

Writer, I presume you are not trying to write a

"How to Geocache" kind of book and more a history and a bit of insight kind of book.

Is that correct or am I wrong? icon_wink.gif

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

how can you write a book about our sport with limited experience?

Perhaps they were referring to putting a logbook together. (Not that I can think of what 'work' that would involve, other than writing the cache name and/or "Logbook" on the cover, and maybe an introductory note on the opening page. But then, I've seen a few people do some creative things where I wouldn't have had the first idea, so who knows.) icon_smile.gif

quote:

I'm assuming that plastic is usually best

I like using PVC tube containers, wrapped in camo tape and the plastic test plug, rather than the metal test plug which will corrode over time. However, lately I prefer mortar tubes which I cover in camo tape. Both are very watertight, but I've found that it costs more to make the PVC container than it does to buy the mortar tube.

quote:
Writer, I presume you are not trying to write a "How to Geocache" kind of book and more a history and a bit of insight kind of book.

Is that correct or am I wrong? icon_wink.gif

I'll include both types of information, and more. Over many years of experience in many areas, I've found that "experts" often poor at teaching beginners, because they don't remember what it was like. There is also much to be said about hiking, navigation, safety, and other things that aren't officially part of geocaching.

quote:

Any of you ever put a container literally underwater? I figure a Pelican container could stand up to that, but I was wondering if anyone had used anything else that worked.

Pelican boxes would be good, but very pricey, especially since there are many cheaper ways to go. Check just one of many threads on the subject.

Especially check the pics for this cache to see how well an ammo can holds up.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Pelican boxes would be good, but very pricey, especially since there are many cheaper ways to go.

Thanks for the thread pointers. (I'll have to track down some of the scuba-requiring caches and develop yet another excuse to go diving.)

As far as the Pelican case, I noticed some in a dive shop that were small (PDA-sized) and not that expensive for a cache of smaller items.

quote:

quote:
First, how can you write a book about our sport with limited experience?_

By gaining experience and doing research. I might even have more experience in hiking and navigation than you might think.

Experience and research. You've got the experience so now you have to do the research. May I suggest that you read the first 10-20 pages of topics in the General Forum. I think you will find the answer to this and many other questions.

geospotter

quote:
I further presume that few, if any, of those writers did their research by becoming assassins. icon_wink.gif

One would hope, though maybe the often low pay of book work drive them to new revenue sources. Luckily, geocaching is more socially acceptable. Now, if only I could get my kids to not fight about who gets to swap items first...