Longest hike.

8 hours and 40 minutes to hike just over 10 mile round trip going after Lost Ark cache in Phoenix Arizona. Got 3 teams together to go after this one and the first 4 miles are easy then up the side of a mountain with to trails and no straight shot for the last mile of the hike. Just a lot of cacti and loose rocks. The real queation was how did the guy haul that large ammo box with all that stuff up there in the first place. One of the items in the cache is a socket set. It still remains.

I hiked more than two miles once for a cache that was 0.14 miles from where I parked my car. I was walking circles around this little city park trying to figure out how to get in there. Took about an hour and a half.

I've also found a cache that required a 1-way three mile hike... I rode my bike, so it wasn't so bad. The six mile+ ride took about two hours.

Jamie

It took me five and a half hours to find Goat Mountain Cache. Elevation gain came to just under 3000 feet. icon_eek.gif The cache was 2.8 miles in a straight line, but I reckon the hike was about 3.5 to 4 miles one way, forgot to reset trip odometer before starting up. The weather at the start was sunny and in the 50's, when I reached the top, the snow was blowing pretty hard and the summit was socked in by clouds.

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

- Ferdinand Magellan

It took me five and a half hours to find Goat Mountain Cache. Elevation gain came to just under 3000 feet. icon_eek.gif The cache was 2.8 miles in a straight line, but I reckon the hike was about 3.5 to 4 miles one way, forgot to reset trip odometer before starting up. The weather at the start was sunny and in the 50's, when I reached the top, the snow was blowing pretty hard and the summit was socked in by clouds.

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

- Ferdinand Magellan

Oh yeah... about my mountain bike cache...

Motorized vehicle? What motorized vehicle? 25 miles pedaled there, six miles pedaled on the trail, 25 miles pedaled back.

Don't be so narrow minded. icon_smile.gif Some of us don't always use a motorized vehicle.

I'm on a five-cache vehicle-less streak.

Jamie

Oh yeah... about my mountain bike cache...

Motorized vehicle? What motorized vehicle? 25 miles pedaled there, six miles pedaled on the trail, 25 miles pedaled back.

Don't be so narrow minded. icon_smile.gif Some of us don't always use a motorized vehicle.

I'm on a five-cache vehicle-less streak.

Jamie

My longest was a 6 mile round trip hike. The hike was great, but we arrived at the cache site

without a lot of daylight left and had to leave before we even got to search for it. Really sucked having to log a Not Found after such a long hike.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

but it took about 5 hours and 4 or 5 miles of criss-crossing and backtracking to do a many waypoint-calculating cache (my mom and my daughter were with me, dictating the pace icon_razz.gif). This was in a nature park run by the local park district in a suburban area near Portland Oregon.

Great fun! Unfortunately it got archived due to other caches in the park being poorly placed and causing cachers to go off trail. The park district really liked the cache and is very supportive of caches in the parks (off topic I guess, sorry!)

but it took about 5 hours and 4 or 5 miles of criss-crossing and backtracking to do a many waypoint-calculating cache (my mom and my daughter were with me, dictating the pace icon_razz.gif). This was in a nature park run by the local park district in a suburban area near Portland Oregon.

Great fun! Unfortunately it got archived due to other caches in the park being poorly placed and causing cachers to go off trail. The park district really liked the cache and is very supportive of caches in the parks (off topic I guess, sorry!)

The longest single-cache hike I ever did took about 2 hours (5.5 miles roundtrip). The longest cache hike I ever did was over 8 miles bagging 5 caches spread out over Peter's Canyon here in Southern California. That took somewhere between 3 to 4 hours.

I still have my sights set on doing a 16-mile roundtrip hike to log a cache that I was hoping to do when it was first hidden in March (till I was incapacitated for over a month due to a nasty bout with Poison Oak, but that's another story). I just gotta wait until fall or winter when it cools down again....

2 days, 16 miles round trip and 4000 feet of elevation change for the Mount Charleston cache near Las Vegas. It was sooo tough that we lost two members of our expedition along the way. My wife and Rusty the Golden Retriever turned back to camp with a mile to go due to fatigue.

oh well, it was still a fun experience (easy to say now that I'm not up there).

Shannon

Here is what happened. It was my first Geo-Cache, Mundy's Gap, by Ghostrider. The gap crosses the Franklin Mountains on the north side of North Mount Franklin.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16609

My wife doesn't like me to take long hikes on my own, so my 15 year-old daughter was talked into going too.

The hike up to the gap was beautiful. The easy approach is from the west side. Being retired military, I still had a bunch of web gear, and along with about 1 gallon of water, I also had a good first aid kit, extra socks, and all the usual stuff. My daughter carried extra water.

We found the cache in about 2.5 hours. We spent about 1 hour at the cache enjoying the view. As we were preparing to leave, my daughter asked if it was possible to go down the other (east) side and hike to the Wilderness Park Museum. Years ago I used to run that area on a dirt bike, so I knew the trails. Yes, it was possible. Being a family of ham radio operators, we radioed our intentions to home, and arranged for my wife to pick us up and drive us back to the jeep. That set up, we took off down the hill.

Well, what is do-able on a dirt bike is also do-able on foot, but much more slowly. It was a wonderful hike. I had forgotten much of the area, abd we re-discovered the El Paso Tin Mines, which became my first cache hide.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24342

We finally did reach the Wilderness Park Museum at about 1630. I was out of water, out of dry socks, and about out of energy. It was 12 miles in 8 hours, and an elevation gain of 3000 feet through the pass. My daughter still had water left, and although I wouldn't show it, she was in better condition than I was.

But it didn't end here. My jeep was parked in Tom Mays park, which closes at 1700. By the time my wife got to us, (with cold water and bananas) there was not much time left. We just made it, the ranger was waiting for me at the jeep.

Later this fall, (when the West Texas temperatures get lower) my son and I intend to take the same hike.

I hope you-all enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed the hike.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, Texas.

The longest time? Well, there was the time we drove two days to get to Montana to find a cache near my home town. icon_wink.gif OK, we were going to Montana anyway, so that probably doesn't count.

How about the day I drove 350 miles and hit 15 caches, involving a total of about 8 miles hiking in addition to the driving? That was an 18 hour day.

Or maybe the all-day hike in Monte Bello open space preserve in order to hit two caches. That one was a seven mile hike with about 1000' of vertical.

Any number of multicaches have involved many hours of driving/hiking combination.

My favorite so far was the 10 mile bike ride on the Alviso Slough loop trail to pick up one of Pedalman's caches.

The next cache I'm going after is only 6 miles from my house, but involves a four hour hike in Rancho San Antonio county park. icon_biggrin.gif

But don't ask me, now. I've only been at this four months, and there are tons of easy caches in this area.

The longest time? Well, there was the time we drove two days to get to Montana to find a cache near my home town. icon_wink.gif OK, we were going to Montana anyway, so that probably doesn't count.

How about the day I drove 350 miles and hit 15 caches, involving a total of about 8 miles hiking in addition to the driving? That was an 18 hour day.

Or maybe the all-day hike in Monte Bello open space preserve in order to hit two caches. That one was a seven mile hike with about 1000' of vertical.

Any number of multicaches have involved many hours of driving/hiking combination.

My favorite so far was the 10 mile bike ride on the Alviso Slough loop trail to pick up one of Pedalman's caches.

The next cache I'm going after is only 6 miles from my house, but involves a four hour hike in Rancho San Antonio county park. icon_biggrin.gif

But don't ask me, now. I've only been at this four months, and there are tons of easy caches in this area.

I wasn't really trying for a perfect bell curve when I set the time frames, but it looks pretty well distributed to me. My personal longest trip was to hide:

TWA Canyon Cache

Just a fuzz over 7 hours, including a lunch break. Most people can do the 6+ miles roundtrip and 2500ft gain in about 5 hours, with one mountain runner doing it in under 3.

I dont think I actually want to try anything harder than that one, unless it involves a river float or something. I never figured out how to camp light enough to backpack.

[This message was edited by Gliderguy on July 24, 2002 at 01:00 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Gliderguy:

What is the longest time you have taken bagging a single cache - from leaving your motorized vehicle until returning to that vehicle.

2.5 - 3 hours on a 6-mile roundtrip hike to get a cache. I wouldn't have taken that long except around 1.5 miles into that hike, I twisted my ankle on some loose rocks going down one of the steeper slopes on the trail and hobbled the rest of the way to the cache.

Once I got there, the area was practically a field of rocks on the side of a hill and with my sore foot, it sure took some doing to comb the area searching for the cache, until I saw what the cache description was referring to.

And oh yeah, as if I was not nuts enough, that wasn't the last cache of the day.

Having slowed down significantly my participation in Geocaching, most of my finds now take place either when I am out of town and want to see some interesting places, when I meet someone who I want to introduce to it, or when I am planning a hike and there happens to be a cache or two in the area.

Such was the case with the "Emerald Cache" placed on Mount Timpanogos at about 11,200 feet elevation. I was hiking to the summit, and remembered there was a cache there. I pulled out my PDA, and sure enough, I had the information, thanks to pathetique.com. I input the coordinates and found the cache en route to the summit. Total trip (hiking time) was 12 hours, for 13.8 miles of hiking. Elevation gain was around 4,000 feet. I highly recommend this cache (mostly the hike) to any who want a truly memorable experience. I left my binoculars in the cache so that any who came after me could enjoy the view a little more.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

A friend and I rode our bikes 20 miles round trip for 2 caches. It wasn't the distance as the climbing. The first climb going in was 6 miles and we gained a couple thousand feet. Plus it was HOT.

A second was a 4 hour float down a slow river to get one cache. The cache was less than a mile from the put in but we did not count on how slow the river flowed and how many twists the river took from there. We didn't think to bring water or sunscreen.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif