At least he was honest...

Wulfster

quote:
Both are poor excuses for trade items

A lot of people like WG$'s. They're very popular in my area. Personlly, I'd rather find a WG$ in a cache than a plastic soldier, chewn by the family dog.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I've got 2 WG's in my wallet right now. I got them in change, at a restaurant, during of all things, an event cache. I keep meaning to log 'em, so I carry them around. I will probably place them in a cache that I place, or if I want to even out a trade while running low. I just don't think caches are the right spot to leave loose change. I can understand foriegn money in caches because it is interesting. I have no real dislike for wg's. I just think money defeats the whole barter system.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Both are poor excuses for trade items

A lot of people like WG$'s. They're very popular in my area. Personlly, I'd rather find a WG$ in a cache than a plastic soldier, chewn by the family dog.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

I would rather see the chewed up soldier. I find it interesting to see what people think is a good trade. Money takes no thought. How many times have you looked into a cache and thought, "What WERE they thinking???" I find that more interesting/entertaining than sad.

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Where's George dollars aren't a poor excuse for a trade item. They're a trackable item from anouther game. Imho, they're better than used chewing gum and McToys...

I've missed that avatar!

LOL, me too, thats why I asked him to start using it again in chat tonight.icon_smile.gif

63 cents is an effort. It drives me nuts though to watch my caches and see someone log that they took all this really cool stuff and left some really lame stuff and have no problem with it.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

This is a log in one of my caches:

quote:
Left quarter,

Took $5 (needed gas to get home)

quote:
Money takes no thought...

You're right; I only leave it if I am unprepared.

And I only take it if it is a silver certificate, or a gold dollar, or a silver dollar, or an old dollar, or a foriegn currency, or a two-dollar bill, or any other denomination bigger than that.

Occassionaly I will take a quater or a dime if I need to make a call or get a cup of coffee.

Oh, and sometimes I'll take a where's george bill (if there's nothing collectable or electronic in the cache).

But the most uninteresting instances of cash in a cache, are when some bozo leaves a big bill as a FTF prize. I would never event attempt something like that.

BTW, it really p1ssed me off when that guy took the $5 dollar bill and left a quarter.

But, anyway, it's just a game, and the important thing is the search! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
I've missed that avatar!

Me, too...

bad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by Wulfster:

This was the other one that I saw:

quote:

Took Geocache sticker and left a quarter.

It just boggles the mind...

Why let it? It's wasted energy. When I place a cache, I EXPECT it to be a junk box in just over a dozen trades. I consider my caches to be gifts. I care not about the items. I only want the log book when it's full.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

I've got 2 WG's in my wallet right now. I got them in change, at a restaurant, during of all things, an event cache. I keep meaning to log 'em, so I carry them around. I will probably place them in a cache that I place, or if I want to even out a trade while running low. I just don't think caches are the right spot to leave loose change. I can understand foriegn money in caches because it is interesting. I have no real dislike for wg's. I just think money defeats the whole barter system.

I guess it must depend upon your point of view. I can see your point of view and I hope you can see mine. I like to trade Where's George dollars. They're fun to track.

If I find a Sacagewea dollar, I'll trade it for a Where's George dollar. I don't usually leave a Where's George dollar in a cache unless there's a dollar to trade even. Yeah, I know trade up, but at least I'm not trading down.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sagefox:

I used to think cash in a cache was a cheap trade item. Hated myself in the morning when I did it. Now I collect all the coins and bills not intended to be travelers and send it to my favorite geocaching association when the stack reaches $10.00.

Hey now, I'm gonna post that on texasgeocaching.com. Great idea!

Direct quote: Since we had friends with us, we took both the toy and the Where's George bill. We left two beadlings: a girl and an ant.

What are beadlings one may ask??

Little glass beads hooked together with wire. I just hope children are the ones making these things.

I left $1 once (or maybe twice) on one (or maybe two) of the first caches I ever visited. I had two kids with me and was a bit unprepared trade-item wise. Since each kid wanted something from the cache, and my trade items were pretty lame, I ended up leaving $1 out of desperation.

Now I know better. I've seen more caches, and seen what kind of trade items people leave. My signature item is a zipper pull with a handmade GPSr bead on it. (so far all I've made are eTrex beads... modelled after my Yellow. icon_cool.gif)

"You'll curse when the need comes. Make it loud, make it complicated, make it long, and make it up if you have to, but it'll work all right." -Granny Weatherwax

I don't mind Where's George dollars -- if that's what some people want to place as trade items that's fine.

But I do find them same ol' same ol' boring so I always pass them by.

There's just a "sameness" about them. Like Finding a travel bug tag without an interest item or backstory attached to it -- just something with some numbers on it.

Of course that's just me.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"I'd like to buy the world a coke, but I only have fifty cents"

quote:
What are beadlings one may ask??

Little glass beads hooked together with wire. I just hope children are the ones making these things.

The beadlings are the ceiligirls signature items. Yes, they are made by the children (aprox. ages 6 and 8). They make various shapes and sizes (e.g. insects, animals etc). I think that is a fair trade. In fact, I keep meaning to go find a cache with them in it so I can collect a couple. The Ceiligirl's mother also recently wrote a very good article on caching for the Lincoln Paper.

pika waving

quote:
Now I collect all the coins and bills not intended to be travelers and send it to my favorite geocaching association when the stack reaches $10.00.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I think I'll start. I might also see how much I accumulate over a year.

pika waving

quote:

Actually saw this in a cache log:

"Left 63 cents and took wheres george bill."

I don't know that I'd have the guts to post that I traded 63 cents for a dollar. Or maybe he thought that "trading up" means take more than you leave.

Your problem is that you consider a Where's George Bill the same as $1. Some people treat them more like a travel bug, since they are a trackable item. If you were to look at future logs of that cacher, you might even see a log entry of something like "Took nothing, left a where's george bill."

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

Unless they intend to place it in another cache, they traded down. They'll spend it otherwise or give it away.

In any event, the cache was way better off with just the WG bill than with a handful of change that will sit at the bottom of the cache for all eternity.

If you want to make it right, fork up the extra $.37 and go log "Took $63, left WG dollar" icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Michigan Geocaching Organization Homepage

quote:

Ummmm, who cares? Both are poor excuses for trade items.

A Where's George dollar will still buy a 20 oz bottle of diet coke. And spending it will further it along to the federal reserve to be destroyed...

They spend just like any other until they hit a bank or somewhere where they get dumped. As long as you aren't the one holding the bag, they make a great trade item, much more useful than a broken mctoy.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

quote:

Ummmm, who cares? Both are poor excuses for trade items.

A Where's George dollar will still buy a 20 oz bottle of diet coke. And spending it will further it along to the federal reserve to be destroyed...

They spend just like any other until they hit a bank or somewhere where they get dumped. As long as you aren't the one holding the bag, they make a great trade item, much more useful than a broken mctoy.

IMO, A broken McToy is still more interesting to look at than a WG. Money takes absolutely no thought. SOMEONE had to actually THINK that broken McToy was a good trade. I find THAT more interesting than loose change. In many cases that broken toy was much loved by the child who left it. The child is learning about real life give and take. I never complain about finding these things. This IS just a game.

quote:

Actually saw this in a cache log:

"Left 63 cents and took wheres george bill."

I don't know that I'd have the guts to post that I traded 63 cents for a dollar. Or maybe he thought that "trading up" means take more than you leave.

Had one just the other day (funny, I was about to quote the log, and when I checked the cacher edited out this part):

quote:
"Found it this afternoon. Took the George, left nothing, sorry. I needed a candy fix though and this $$ will be very helpful."

Mind you, this was in an affluent section of an affluent state. If you are too poor to be able to afford a candy bar, perhaps it's time to pawn the GPS for food?

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

What is considered "good" trade items for a cache? I have just started in caching and I am just using what I have seen in the caches as a example of what I should leave. So far what I have seen are small toys, bells, pens and such. Just curious??

Seek and you will find....for he who seeks, finds.....

Mostly, dollar store stuff.

Sometimes toys my daughter no longer plays with, but are not broken, dirty, etc.

Sometimes I just pass along something I got from a different cache.

But, I had a coin dealer friend I know sell me a roll of silver dollars (i.e. Morgans and Peace dollars) and Liberty Walking silver half-dollars. I put those pricier items in caches that are more of a challenge and not likely to be pilfered. I am trying to put a little special coin collecting sparkle in some people's lives.

I certainly wouldn't recommend leaving items that expensive often, if at all. As someone told me after I started leaving these coins: if geo-muggles found out caches had items that were actually worth money, they would go onto GC.COM and start pilfering caches.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I have to admit I trade down sometimes, taking a dollar store item and leaving my signature item, a 20CZK coin = $0.732 according to the current rate. But it is quite a nice coin, it has a Czech Lion on the rear and Saint Wenceslas as a horseman on the front side, usually the next cacher takes it. And the official rate is just unreal, you can buy 1-2 beers (half liter pitchers) with it, try it with a dollar :-)

Czech caching in US.

quote:
Originally posted by Haggaeus:

I have to admit I trade down sometimes, taking a dollar store item and leaving my signature item, a 20CZK coin = $0.732 according to the current rate. But it is quite a nice coin, it has a Czech Lion on the rear and Saint Wenceslas as a horseman on the front side, usually the next cacher takes it. And the official rate is just unreal, you can buy 1-2 beers (half liter pitchers) with it, try it with a dollar :-)

Czech caching in US.

That's ok. I'd trade a buck for that coin.

quote:
Originally posted by Panic!:

Um, err, what's a 'Where's George' Dollar? It must be an American thing. Where can I see a picture of one?

It is a normal dollar bill, usually stamped with www.wheresgeorge.com so people know where to go and log in the serial number, and where they got it. It allows you to track a paper dollar as it circulates from city to city.

There are also versions for Euros, Japan, and German and Netherlands sites as well.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by DustyJacket on October 26, 2003 at 06:32 AM.]

quote:
What is considered "good" trade items for a cache?

Often good items are in the eyes of the finder, but there are some generalities. Don't leave dirty, worn, or broken toys, food, or anything that you would have ordnarily have thrown away.

Do leave items that you would like to find, or ones that you think may be of interest to others.

Having found a few caches, I'm sure you can tell that some people think it's OK to dump out their junk drawer and use geocaches as their personal garbage can. This practice is one that bothers many of us.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
I finally came across a 'beadling', brought it home to the wife to see.

I too discovered a 'beadling' today for the 1st

time and brought it home for the wife & daughter to see. It was a well done seahorse.

I'm impressed that someone, whether adult or child, actually makes a homemade trade item!

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

It is a normal dollar bill, usually stamped with http://www.wheresgeorge.com so people know where to go and log in the serial number, and where they got it. It allows you to track a paper dollar as it circulates from city to city.

Just a side note on this. On the where's george site, there is an area for explaining tracking where's george's (their rules) that are traveling in geocaches like the bugs. Check out this url:

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/wrapper.php3?page=top10bills_dgc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob - can ya beer me now?

Sandy - bite me

[This message was edited by Bob & Sandy on October 27, 2003 at 04:11 AM.]