Geocaching as a non-profit fund raiser?

Hi folks:

I just purchased a GPS and found my first three caches. I got involved because I am on the board of directors of our local United Way and thought I could create some kind of fun fund raising event. We're in Vermont so I thought something out of doors, probably in leaf peeping season, would be great. I have no idea how to organize an event. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Craven

MaCree

quote:
Originally posted by Craven MaCree:

Hi folks:

I just purchased a GPS and found my first three caches. I got involved because I am on the board of directors of our local United Way and thought I could create some kind of fun fund raising event. We're in Vermont so I thought something out of doors, probably in leaf peeping season, would be great. I have no idea how to organize an event. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Craven

MaCree

How did you get on the board of directors? Don't most United Way peepers get selected based upon their fund raising abilities?

quote:
How did you get on the board of directors? Don't most United Way peepers get selected based upon their fund raising abilities?

The person probably meant no idea how to organize a Geocaching event.

Checking the Organized Geocaching forum is a good start but don't forget to check the regional forum for New England as well. Some areas have superb organization and others don't. It may be that there is already a close-knit group of people in your area that can offer advice.

The library in an nearby community hosted a geocaching event. They set up a cache and then sold the coordinates to the people who wanted to participate. After the event had concluded they went on to post the cache on the Geocaching site (UFO 2002). icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

The library in an nearby community hosted a geocaching event. They set up a cache and then sold the coordinates to the people who wanted to participate. After the event had concluded they went on to post the cache on the Geocaching site (UFO 2002). icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Non profits around here seem to have two qualifications for manager types.

1) A PHD

2) Extensive fundraising experience.

The ability to manage the office seems optional.

I'm sorry to hear you got involved in the hobby out of reasons that are work related.

Still the people in here have provided some good ideas. As for me I no longer support the United Way since they dropped support for orginazations that I do suppor and support orginizations that I don't support.