Roving Caches

Guest bunkerdave

Guest bunkerdave

I have an idea: I am thinking about doing a cache which includes instructions to the finders to relocate the cache to another nearby location - their choice - and give me the new coordinates when they log their find. Then I, as the original cache placer, could update the coordinates when I saw their log. Would this work? Anyone have any thoughts why this might be a bad idea? It occurs to me that I could then go out on a cache hunt after my own cache - sort of like hiding your own Easter eggs.

Guest Scout

Timing could be a problem. If people are moving caches that I'm hunting, after I have written down their coordinates, but before I reach the site, maybe I would get irritated.

A more important objection: If this catches on, and people absent-mindedly start relocating caches that aren't meant to move, I know I would get irritated.

On the other hand, if you want to try it, go ahead. It's a free country.

Guest bunkerdave

Good points. I know how frustrating it is to me when a cache is not where it should be, or when I just can't find it. I have in my Palm 3c all the caches for Utah, but I only have one set of coords for them, and I also have them all on my GPS receiver. Clearly, this could be a huge headache, especially when combined with all the variables that already exist. Another idea: Can anyone think of a way to make caches that are, in a way, "self replicating" that is, when people find one, it instructs them to use the contents to go make another cache nearby (within 1 mi. or so). The intent is that there would be one offset cache that could keep growing, or you could report all the coords and you might have numerous caches in an area that previously had only one. Too confusing? Or just more fun for everyone?

Guest jeremy

You'd have to hide the cache first before visiting the cache site, so it would be sort of difficult to get to a cache location and be asked to create a new cache somewhere else with the contents, unless the person who finds the cache doesn't mind hiking out, hiding a cache, and returning with the coordinates.

Multicaches are like that - You basically need to reverse your cache hide in order to get it to work. Take the coordinates for the final cache, go to the cache that needs the coordinates and hide it, etc.

Jeremy