wrong location

Guest KF Quad Explorer

Guest KF Quad Explorer

Jeremy, can you tell me why the Scotts Cache shows it is in Prine Edwards Island when in fact that it is in Oregon? The map also shows that it is near HWY 97 in Southern Oregon. When you enter your zip code it comes up with in the close range, but it states P.E.I. what gives?

Gary

Guest juno88

I think that the decimal conversions are incorrect. I ran into the same problem with BigFig's caches. He has the correct numbers in dd/mm/ss, but the decimal translation is WRONG (shows his KY caches in WVA.)

We want to cache this weekend! Help1

Guest jeremy

If you go to BigFig's cache page while logged into the site, you can get his email and ask him if the maps are correct.

The first post (at the top) was incorrectly listed, and was changed to Oregon.

Jeremy

Guest BigFig

The coordinated of my caches on the webpage in WGS84 HDDD MM.MMM format are correct. I converted all to NAD27 UTM and plotted on a USGS topo - all were dead on. Daniel Boone #1 is still wildly off when you run it through topozone. The others have Datum conversion errors up to 10 meters, but are "relatively" in the same location. I did my conversion using CorpsCon - a utility the US corps of engineers developed for datum and coordinate system conversion. Some error when converting from one datum to another is normal, but I get significantly different results when comparing Corpscon to topozone. And the DB #1 is mile off.

The error occurs at the "Jeep" website, topozone is just reproducing it. If you want to be certain about your coordinates, you can alwasy enter them manually when you get to topozone - although topozone does not appear to accept the HDDD MM.MMMM format.

And, lastly, remember that topozone is giving you NAD27 coordinates. You'll have to convert to WGS84 prior to setting your waypoint.

Guest BigFig

andard for conversions), but they are close enough to use. The Corpscon manual sez the conversion error will generally be less than one meter. Also, the NAD27 to WGS84 displacement in this area is not that large -

less than 10 meters, so having the GPS set up with the "wrong" datum would still get you in the ballpark, although the combined errors from datum conversion (or failure to), "normal" GPS error, and holding your mouth wrong might be enough to throw you off 20 or so meters.

BTW - the coordinates listed for my sites on geocaching.com are not converted - with the exception of DB#1 (which is a conversion), the coordinates came directly from the GPS on a minimum one-minute average. I usually convert WGS84 HDDD MM.MMMM' to NAD27 UTM for my own use.

Guest juno88

Well, I think your right, but we still get a bad location from the DB #1 when we put in the coordinates on the GEOCACHING site. All the others are okay, and yes TOPOZONE SUCKS! If you look at some of your other caches, they show up in WVA too! We found DB #1 fine using your DD/MM/SS though!

tif

Guest BigFig

Tif -- too weird for me. Yes, DB #1 still appears to be flaky - I think because of the minus sign in front of the minutes for LAT or LON (I use UTM and can't keep them straight). But, I get "good" translations into topozone for the rest - right on the spot. All six should be in either the Morehead, Bangor, or Salt Lick quad. I'll post coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds as well as UTM in the cache text next time just so everyone can pick their flavor.