Should I bother

Guest gnbrotz

Guest gnbrotz

I have recently discovered that I have been leaving the ".html" suffix out when posting a link to my personal page. Although we are only talking about 30 logs (not alot of finds compared to some), this leaves me with the task and deleting and re-submitting all of my logs to correct the problem. To compound this just slightly, the same problem exists with the logs my wife and son posted (they used the auto-fill-in, and thus duplicated my error). Should I undertake this task and risk confusing cache owners, who will get a notice when I repost, only to find nothing new at their cache page; or, just leave it as is and hope the average computer user can figure out my mistake? I am proud of my page, and hope others will enjoy it too.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Got an idea for you. If you left off the .html suffix, then the URL you entered will look like a directory in your webspace, rather than a file by the same name.

For example, lets assume this is what your meant:

http://www.acme.com/tom/caching.html

but you left off the .html, so everyone that follows your link to your website will be directed to the default document in a directory called caching in your webspace, a directory that does not exist.

Now, depending on how your webspace administrator has things set up, the default document will probably be one of

index.htmlindex.htmdefault.htm

So, go ahead and create a sub-directory in your webspace with the same name as the page you wanted to direct people to (without the .html of course). Next create a simple page in that sub-directory with the default file name (one of those I listed above, check with your webspace administrator if your not sure). That page should have a meta redirect line to send people automatically to the page you really meant them to go to.

This simple procedure will automatically fix your problem for all logs!

Using the example above, the simple default page would look like this:

<html><head><title></title><META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" Content="0;url=../caching.html"></head><body></body></html>

Let me know if you need any help with this.

icon_biggrin.gif If there is an easy/lazy way out, I'll think of it icon_biggrin.gif

Our webpage if interested: CacheCows

Please (PLEASE) sign the guestbook if you drop by, its real lonely!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 06 September 2001).]

icon_biggrin.gif If there is an easy/lazy way out, I'll think of it icon_biggrin.gif

Our webpage if interested: CacheCows

Please (PLEASE) sign the guestbook if you drop by, its real lonely!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 06 September 2001).]

Guest gnbrotz

Please do!

Took a quick look at your site. I'll sign the guestbook tomorrow (I promise!) and may "borrow" a few ideas for my site. Overtime tomorrow so it's off to bed for me.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'