Public land usage in other countries

Guest bob_renner

Guest bob_renner

We have all read the discussions about geocaching in National Parks here in the US and now about the possible restrictions on BLM land. What is the policy in other countries? It looks like the Dutch are encouraging in (by the post in another thread). Has anyone placed a goecache in Dartmore?

Bob

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

What is the policy in other countries

As far as New Zealand is concerned, I don't know. I do have a cache in a national park, but after the NPS experience in the USA I am heasitant to ask permission. The main reason for this is that the answer would probably be no, as off trail walks and littering are not officially allowed in the park (as if that has stopped anyone in the past). I am certain that in New Zealand the Department of Conservation (DOC) will eventually develop a position in favour of geocaching (DOC is far more laid back than the NPS, maybe because thay are not open to pointless litigation as in the USA). Until then local geocachers need to tread carefully and use common sense when placing caches in national parks.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Peter Scholtz

I've placed caches in a couple of our national parks. With one of them the park rangers took me for a night drive and helped me hide the cache.

I'm also hesitant to ask. Where do you start and will you get to the right person. Bureaucracy is slow ...

Geocaching is to new here to worry about that just yet.

But I'd say our authorities would be positive as it would encourage tourism.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za