Geocaching Skin Care

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but, as a guy, this is question that I have no answer to.

What do people do pre- or post-caching to take care of the skin on their legs? Many of the caches that I have recently visted have many sticker bushes resulting in many scratches. Especially since I do not like to wear long pants, I always wear shorts if I can get away with it! My wife told me to use Vitamin-E lotion on my legs for my scratches/cuts/etc. What do other cachers do to protect their skin? Other than obviously wear long pants?

-Stroh

I often go out in shorts too and get my legs all scratched up. I usually don't do much about it though. I have a lotion I got at Bath and Body Works that has oatmeal in it. It is pretty soothing on scratches, so I put that on sometimes. I suppose the vitamin E lotion is as good a sugesstion as any. Maybe aloe gel would be good too since it is soothing.

pokeanim3.gif

There was an earlier thread where someone mentioned convertable hiking pants. I picked up a pair and am very happy with them. They are made of a light breathable fabric, but are still rather durable. I wore them last weekend in 90 deg heat with high humidity and was comfortable.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

You could try Emu oil. I use a version of it that has MSM in it for shin splints after dancing. I have read that it is also good as a skin conditioner and can help heal scratches and bug bites etc. I love the stuff as a topical pain reliever for muscle sorness.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Peroxide and lots of rubbing alcohol. Yeeeeeouch!

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

I go with this one. It allows me to relive the experience all over again.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I'm supposed to take care of it? I use water from a stream or soap and water at home. My skin replenishes itself. But if you feel you must put something on it use aloe, or vitamin E or Bactine, or hydrogen peroxide, or carry alcohol swabs, or a first aid kit, or wear gaiters, or the convertable pants, or chaps, or push the branches out of the way with a hiking stick (this works well) or just bleed and wash itself out.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I don't worry too much about scratches, cuts, etc., I heal pretty quickly.

Poison ivy is another matter. Ivy Block before I go out, Tecnu after I return.

You know you're a geocacher when you can point to a scar, name the cache you were hunting, and tell what you traded icon_biggrin.gif

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:

Good to hear that the rubbing alcohol is good for anything: last Friday night I have noticed too late that we are short of fuel for our alcohol stove and rubbing alcohol was the only substance I managed to buy before the start of the trip. When mixed with the remains of denaturated alcohol, it burned ok, but still have a lot of it left...

Czech caching in US.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

You know you're a geocacher when you can point to a scar, name the cache you were hunting, and tell what you traded icon_biggrin.gif

I just got some nasty poison something on my arm and hand. Irritation, blisters, puss and the like.

Poison ivy and oak are both ground dwellers, no? What did I get? Anyone know? I didn't stick my hand anywhere near the ground.

-Vb

I usually pre-treat with either Deep Woods Off or 3M Ultrathon (gotta support the local economy!!!), and let it heal naturally afterwards. If I do happen to get into some itch-weed, I've found that Band-Aid brand Itch Relief Gel Spritz works well--of course, being a manly man, I had to get over the word "spritz" in the title.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I just got some nasty poison something on my arm and hand. Irritation, blisters, puss and the like.

Poison ivy and oak are both ground dwellers, no? What did I get? Anyone know? I didn't stick my hand anywhere near the ground.

-Vb

Yikes! Do some homework! Poison Ivy Org ... it climbs, gets bush like, creeps, and has all kinds of leaf variants ... you don't need to be near the ground to get a PI problem.

quote:

Poison ivy can grow low to the ground, as a bush, or as a climbing vine. I have a tree in my yard that has the PI 20+ feet in the air. Look for the tell-tale "hairy" vine climbing a tree and you're usually in poison ivy country. I don't think poison oak is an issue in the northeast. At least I've yet to see it. It's practically everywhere in parts of California.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Haggaeus:

quote:

Good to hear that the rubbing alcohol is good for anything: last Friday night I have noticed too late that we are short of fuel for our alcohol stove and rubbing alcohol was the only substance I managed to buy before the start of the trip. When mixed with the remains of denaturated alcohol, it burned ok, but still have a lot of it left...

Czech caching in US.

...and it can also help you squeak your car through the emissions test. icon_wink.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
Originally posted by Haggaeus:

quote:

Czech caching in US.

...and it can also help you squeak your car through the emissions test. icon_wink.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I used to use it at work to clean DNA that i extracted,

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur