CAN YOU SOLVE THIS GEOCACHING CLUE ?

hikemeister

A group of 12 geocachers from the US, Canada, and the UK are working together to develop a multi-stage cache. Each stage will have a physical clue at the waypoint (e.g., the year on a bridge) PLUS a clue that must be solved by doing some hunting on the geocaching web site.

We need input on a typical clue, to get a sense of whether folks think it is too hard, too easy, or properly challenging.

Here is an example clue:

"I have been a cacher since April 02, That my name is an orb should mean something to you. I live in Connecticut, in the southwest part, but driving to caches is near to my heart. I have placed but a few and they are far and wide. Now I need you to go and find my deceptive hide. On this cache page is where you will meet Your clue, it is hidden inside of the feet. If you add them all up just what to you get? Now don't be afraid nor work up a sweat."

Please see if you can solve this and provide feedback. If you have an answer (a three digit number), send it to me by email and don't post it here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps us with this.

icon_smile.gif

I really don't like cache clues that require an Internet connection to find the answer. I use Pocket Queries with my PDA loaded with all of the caches in the area. I don't want to research a specific cache before leaving the computer anymore. I'd rather see a nearby waypoint on my GPS, look up the ID on my PDA and go find it.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

I'm game. Sounds like fun.

However, this one's pretty tough (at least for me). Maybe it's because I don't know exactly where to look, but it seems pretty vague to be searching for a cacher who started in April '02 and whose name is an orb. There are lots of cachers here! My first thought was Jomorac5 since his avatar's an orb, but that didn't fit with the date. I did a search for orb (found nothing) and sphere, but the guy named sphere doesn't fit, either. I tried randomly searching through the forums to no avail.

I may keep searching, but I don't know how long the needle-in-a-haystack goal will keep my interest.

Neat idea, though...

Jaime

Jaime and Jason

Team Cacheopeia

image ©scienceandart.com -- used with permission

Wow -- just one correct response so far out of ten. That's now what we want. Will reformat the clue and try a modified version tomorrow. All who sent an email had the correct name of the geocacher who wrote this clue and also the correct cache. Getting the correct number was the challenge, and I think it reflects the wording in our clue. Thanks to all who have helped so far by providing input !!

OK, thanks to everyone who responded (about 20 emails -- enough for us to see what happens with this clue).

Everyone found the right cacher and cache. However, there were three different answers given for the number, depending on whether one used only the numbers inside the encrypted clue, the text above the clue, or both together.

This means that we need to have a clue that is more clearly stated, which should not be a problem.

Good to see that 'orb' and 'deceptive' were enough to get to the right page.

Did get a comment from a very active geocacher down here in Florida that this concept would be too difficult for folks in Palm Beach County. Perhaps, but we'll give it a try anyway.

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

quote:
so what was the correct answer?

If we told you, we'd have to kill you! icon_wink.gif

http://www.indianageocaching.comhttp://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ws/emoticons/signal/bad_boy_a.gif http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/puke.gif

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

And the crowd yells... "tell him , tell him!"

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Took 3 minutes, but I wouldn't go want to go after something where there could be multiple answers.

Another problem: what if the cache owner that you're profiling changes your clue? It would kind of tick me off if after all of the figuring the clue was different than when you used it.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

Ditto. I enjoyed being able to solve this sample, but if I was going into the field with no easy way to to try to solve again without a trip back to a web terminal, I'd want to be sure the solution was unambiguosly correct.

ApK

[This message was edited by ApK on September 22, 2003 at 12:00 PM.]

I figured it out fairly quickly, but found more than three poisble answers using negative numbers. So, do some more work to eliminate ambiguity.

But, don't hold back trying to make it so anyone, anywhere can easily solve it. If someone from Florida or Findland cannot figure it out, they'll go to another cache.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

quote:
Originally posted by hikemeister:

The revised clue will read as follows:

"...if you add the five numbers just what to you get?"

This will take care of the issue with there being three possible answers.

Thanks !!

Which 5 numbers? these? (95-146) or these? (27-28, 50, 95-146)these are all in feet also!

So are you refering to 5 numbers or 5 digets?

~Shaggy~

ingeo-button2.gif

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999