*Serious* hiking++

I own a computer store and yesterday, a guy called me about stock software. Anyway, somehow we ended up on the subject about hiking. I explained GeoCaching to him and he told me a bit about orienteering.

Apparently he specializes in finding lakes that are innaccesible or hidden in areas that people haven't been to for years. One of which he claims gets 2 visitors a year tops (info from locals) but requires 10 miles and a 4500ft elevation to reach. Another he's pretty sure hasn't been visited much since the fifties...

He hikes for 4 days+, carries everything for all 4 days (24lbs pack to start), sleeps along the way, carries 24oz of water and purifies as he goes... He asked me to go with him for a trip through the Sangre deCristos this next week and I declined as it's WAAAAYYY above my skill level... Actually I lied and told him I have to work...

Wow, I'd love to go but dadgum, I think this poor guy would be waiting for me the whole time... I asked if he would tell me about where these lakes were, but he wouldn't. He offered to take me up there but wouldn't give me any info (bummer)

So I guess my question is this. This guy's skill level is astounding, and I have to wonder... Does one train for this? Or is it just experience? I hike because it's fun, but the idea of having to jog everyday to prepare for such a trek kind of takes the fun out of it for me. I barely have time to GeoCache, let alone train for distance hiking...

I dunno, I'm just rambling... The whole conversation with him got me kind of frustrated...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

quote:
So I guess my question is this. This guy's skill level is astounding, and I have to wonder... Does one train for this? Or is it just experience? I hike because it's fun, but the idea of having to jog everyday to prepare for such a trek kind of takes the fun out of it for me. I barely have time to GeoCache, let alone train for distance hiking...

I make several 10 - 20 milers a year. I did one last weekend that was a three day trip. 10+ miles 10,000+ Feet ASL (elevation gain of 7500+ feet). I think conditioning depends on the individual. I use the shorter hikes as conditioning (training) for the longer hikes. The only time I jog is if I need to get to my car in the rain.

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

I make several 10 - 20 milers a year. I did one last weekend that was a three day trip. 10+ miles 10,000+ Feet ASL (elevation gain of 7500+ feet). I think conditioning depends on the individual. I use the shorter hikes as conditioning (training) for the longer hikes. The only time I jog is if I need to get to my car in the rain.

I posted a message a day or so back about being fit... Is this what I can look forward to as time goes on? Cause if it is, I do believe I have a goal...

How long until you got to the point where you could tackle something like that... Seems like a pretty steep goal if you ask me...

geosig.jpg

I think if you're reasonably fit (you can do a day-long hike) you're probably capable of doing a trip like this. Maybe not as fast as someone who does it all the time, but you could do it. I've done a few three day hikes with no special conditioning beforehand and it was no problem... of course I was tired at the end, but that's kind of tired that I like.

Another example is cycling. I went for a week-long bicycle trip, covering 70-120km every day, and hadn't done very much cycling beforehand that summer (a few rides of a couple of hours, plus about 15 minutes daily to work). But I had no trouble at all doing long distances for a week. I just made sure I paced myself, so I didn't exhaust myself.

I find that if I'm concerned with conditioning myself before doing something, I never get around to the conditioning and so never get around to doing anything. So I just go and do it, and my body conditions itself along the way. I'm planning a bike ride from Europe to India, and that's how I'm going to approach it as well.

I attempted to hike the entire Appy Trail, starting in Georgia in the spring after my freshman year in college. I made it 1,200 miles before a torn ACL from stepping on the left side of a rock that didn't want anyone stepping on it except on the right.

I was in phenomenal shape at the time, having a soccer scholarship (which I lost due to the career-ending nature of the injury), but I think it's just a matter of being in fairly good shape, making a day hike easily as suggested in a previous post. Living off the land is pretty much a requirement, but if you know what you're looking for, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

I'm still pretty impressed by the guy, though, now that I'm 38. Next time he goes out, please tell him I have to work, too. icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I attempted to hike the entire Appy Trail, starting in Georgia in the spring after my freshman year in college. I made it 1,200 miles before a torn ACL from stepping on the left side of a rock that didn't want anyone stepping on it except on the right.

I was in phenomenal shape at the time, having a soccer scholarship (which I lost due to the career-ending nature of the injury), but I think it's just a matter of being in fairly good shape, making a day hike easily as suggested in a previous post. Living off the land is pretty much a requirement, but if you know what you're looking for, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

I'm still pretty impressed by the guy, though, now that I'm 38. Next time he goes out, please tell him I have to work, too. icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Hey - Acceptable Risk - go try Lion Ridge Cache near Estes. Its only about a 7 mile walk. Was up there today, lots of people no cachers though.

Or try Pinewood Cache - Relocated its got a nice little hill goes up 800 ft in less than a mile.

All it takes to get in shape is walk a little bit farther each day, and then when you feel spiffy start to put weights in a pack for a while.

I've been doing about 2 hikes a week all summer since May, they usually average from 6 to 14 miles a day. You just get used to it after awhile.

So look for me I may be in Lion Gulch on the 21st

or 28th teaching Land Navigation.

Say Lyra what are you going to do when you get my age, in about 17 years, take a whole month off.

Tahosa - Dweller of the moutain tops.

I got into Geocaching because I have always like hiking and walking and electronic things, and then I got into more serious hiking because I came to realize that was what I enjoyed more than finding a cache. Now I limit my caches to the ones with long hikes, which there are few of in this area (N. Idaho), and some occasional quick ones just to get outside.

I am not in great shape, but not too bad either. I've only been seriously backpacking/hiking this year, and 10 miles with 25 pounds sounds fairly easy - maybe moderate would be a better term. Point is that as you get out and do it you gain stamina and strength. I usually carry 45 or 50 pounds since I have not yet invested in much liteweight gear - I did invenst in a near top of the line pack though.

If your in NW Montana check out my Big Sky cache - it's about 10 miles and 2000 feet gained - the view is well worth it.

For a really great hike (lifestyle?), check out the Pacific Crest Trail, one of the big trails in the USA, it is 2460 miles, runs from Mexico to Canada and gets hiked end to end every year - which takes about six months. PCT Homepage

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

He hikes for 4 days+, carries everything for all 4 days (24lbs pack to start), sleeps along the way, carries 24oz of water and purifies as he goes...http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/geosig.jpg

24 lbs is kind of on the light side for a 4 day hike. Sounds like a minimalist. It's doable. You said it was a 10 mile hike, 4 days sounds like a LOOOOOONG time, unless there is some mountaineering to do along the way. It's mostly having the right gear and the will to do it.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
24 lbs is kind of on the light side for a 4 day hike. Sounds like a minimalist. It's doable. You said it was a 10 mile hike, 4 days sounds like a LOOOOOONG time,

24 lbs seemed to be very light to me too. Doable but at the lower limit.

As for the 10 mi/4 day it is a long time to do a trail but to bushwack takes a lot longer. example:

I took the trail up Hunter mountain (NY - from 214) It took something like 2 hrs (IIRC) to ...pulling out topo map...3.5 miles and accend about 2000 ft. Another time I bushwacked it (accidently) and it took 5-6 hrs. There were cliffs and trails that dead ended. So I can see the 10 miles taking that long if the terrian is right.

As for the shape the guy is in - if you can carry a pack containing what you need several days and not become uncoordinated you can do it. BUt then again ultra light hiking cost $$$ - so you may not be able to keep up with this guy unless you pay to play.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

I hike ultralight, its not that expensive, or only if you want it to be. My pack weight for my next hike in the mahoosuc range (3 nights) here in maine is 22 pounds including food and water, thats ready to go weight.

The maine reason people have heavy packs is because they carry way to much stuff that they don't *really* need. Don't carry doubles of clothing for example, your going to stink anyway.

I could list my pack items and wieghts if someone is curious. I did my first backpacking venture with a pack that weighed 50+ pounds, that is why I hike light now!!!!

Ray Jardine (author of a lightweight hiking guide) has hiked the AT and the PCT with a 8.5 pound base pack weight, with no problems. His gear was not expensive either, mostly because he can sew well.

As far as physical conditioning is concerned, hiking is not like running in the sense that you can't make it if your out of shape, you will only be slower. That is unless you are REALLY out of shape, or very overweight, then you may cause stress injurys along the way.

Lee

quote:
Ray Jardine (author of a lightweight hiking guide) has hiked the AT and the PCT with a 8.5 pound base pack weight, with no problems. His gear was not expensive either, mostly because he can sew well.

Nothing personal, but I would not want to hike any trail of any length the way Ray Jardine did it. Not that he is wrong in doing so, but I would rather use a tent, not a tarp, for instance. I usually carry about 45 pounds on a 3 day hike, and I don't bring anything that I'm not willing to carry. My pack, a Dana Designs Terraplane, weighs 8 pounds empty - but it feels so sweet with 45 that I bring the sorts of things that make the trip more fun for me. That is what it comes down to, fun.

Islander I would be curious about certain items you bring - not everything but I think I go pretty light under normal backpacking but pretty heavy under ultralight. I weigh in at about 33-35 lbs for a 4 day 3 night hike.

The things I would like to know is what you use for a:

Tent

Sleeping bag

water container

water filtration

food

stove

fuel

light

rain gear

cloths

boots

for me:

I have a cheap tent that happend to be fairly light about 5 lbs for 2 people

I have about as light as a bag as I can find - it's a down mummy

I usually bring bottled water maybe 2-3 qts (one hike I had to bring 3 gallons - ouch!!!)

I used to bring a water filter/purifier but now reserve it for hikes with questionable water - now I usually use iodine tabs.

I use a camping gas stove and lantern both small and light along with one canister of fuel for each 2 days.

For rain I usually bring an emergency poncho (the $0.99 kind)

For cloths I usually bring 2 pair of underware, teeshirts and socks, 1 fleese pants and sweatshirt and nylon shell.

Boots - one pair of medium hight boots

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

I've done 8 miles with 2500/3000 feet in one long day, and I'm not in particularly good shape. 4+ days for 10 miles with 4500 feet is easily within the range of someone who does a lot of backpacking. I sure wouldn't recommend it as a first backpacking trip and I sure wouldn't try it in the shape I'm in now.

The things I would like to know is what you use for a:

Tent----I don't use a tent, what I use is a hennessy hammock, ultralight version (119 dollars) it weighs 2 pounds.

Sleeping bag-lightwieght synthetic, just over 3 pounds i don't like down becuase it sucks when wet. 3 pounds 4 oz

water container- 1 liter gatorade. Water is plentiful in maine. 33 oz

water filtration- iodine tablets, i don't filter if i feel its safe to drink. I've been drinking out of streams since i was a kid, swamps, all kinds of stuff. Never been sick. 1 oz

food-- I bring good food, cous cous, sausage, cheese, spice pack. Never skimp on teh food, it will get lighter fast on the way. weight varies, 5-10 pounds

stove- Coleman feather 442 I carry one 1 liter pot and a spoon(lexan) 23 oz stove, 8 oz pot 1 oz spoon

fuel--in stove 11.8 ounces

light-princeton tec aurora is the newest, was a tikka 3 oz

rain gear- campmor lightweight, doubles as windbreaker top/botton 20oz.

cloths--sportif convertable pants @ 12 oz, 2 pair socks 4oz, no underwear, 1 coolmax shirt 10 oz. 1 poly pro top/bottom 20 oz 1 lightwieght fleece top 12oz.

boots--new balance 851at running shoes

Pack--- Mountainsmith ghost 2 pounds 2 oz. 3100 Ci.

A lot 6-8 pounds of weight savings comes from the use of the light pack and hammock. I also carry no pad as i don't need it in the hammock. If its cold i will bring a space blanket for under the sleeping bag to retain heat. No pad saves 1/2 to a pound, depending on what you normally would use.

other items, contacts 4 oz

hat 2 oz

disposible cam 2-3 oz

stuff sacks 3-5 oz

With the food im usually in at 20-25 pounds.