Geo-race

Sorry if this shows up as duplicate, my original post doesnt show up on the forums, but does show up when I do a "Find" with my name as the keyword. Anyway:

I would like to know if you think that this would be accepted as a geocache, or if I should start my own genre of GPS game (or if the idea is just ludicrous).

I would like to post about 20 GPS locations within a 100 mile radius of Seattle. For each of these locations I would post a riddle or a picture or description of an object that can be clearly seen from each of these locations. On each one of these objects would be a unique number (for instance, the serial on a fire hydrant, a telephone number of a payphone etc) and I would also provide the first and last number of the series, in case there are more than one number on the object.

The first person to enter the correct series of numbers for each of these site, would win a copy of MS MapPoint, with no prizes for the runners up. I would like to do this each month (perhaps on the first of the month?) and offer a prize for each hunt. It is a non-traditional cache, but I think it could offer a lot of fun adding some competition into geocaching.

Any thoughts?

--bit64

quote:
Originally posted by bit64:

The first person to enter the correct series of numbers for each of these site, would win a copy of MS MapPoint, with no prizes for the runners up. I would like to do this each month (perhaps on the first of the month?) and offer a prize for each hunt.

Well, temporary caches aren't being approved, so will this continue to be available for people to log as a find in future months, regardless of whether you give the first finder anything special? If so, there's probably a way to work it in as a multi-virtual or something...

Danger Wil Robinson....

It sounds like a great idea. And I hate to throw a wet blanket on it. But here goes.

Who is going to write your disclaimer? The one you are going to get everyone to sign before they start the hunt. The one that says if they are caught speeding, or arrested, or hurt (or killed) in a vehicular accident or any other type accident, that you the contest promoter (yes you are) will not be held accountable in any way.

Who will pay the cost of your lawyers when the family of some total fool challenges your disclaimer in court anyway.

I like your idea. But we live in a time when people will blame you for their own stupidity and try to get rich on it. If you think I jest, go get a cup of luke-warm coffee at McDonalds and think about it.

Sorry. I sometimes think of our desert out here, and geocachers I have seen in the area, and I worry about Jeremy and the crew. People challenge disclaimers and win all the time. The McDonalds cup said Caution - HOT! She still won!

I do not wish to start an arguement or a debate about even placing a cache here. It has been done. And I do not want to discourage you either. But you need to be aware of the back-lashe possibility.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

If you think I jest, go get a cup of luke-warm coffee at McDonalds and think about it.

Sorry. I sometimes think of our desert out here, and geocachers I have seen in the area, and I worry about Jeremy and the crew. People challenge disclaimers and win all the time. The McDonalds cup said Caution - HOT! She still won!

We studied the McDonalds coffee case in a Business Law class (admittedly my only basis of legal knowledge aside from Judge Judy lol) and there are a few common misconceptions--heck I thought the lawsuit was stupid until I learned more about the case...I think this web site sums it up nicely:

http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

Your point is well taken, however. Many Americans are walking lawsuits waiting to happen. I wonder if the original poster couldn't "advertise" his prize as a first finder's prize instead of first place. What would be the difference between his mega-multi-cache and a traditional cache with a nice prize--from a legal standpoint?

Actually I have very nice legal benefits and am really not worried about the possibility of being sued. If I were, I would probably never leave the house.

My post here was to see if people thought it would be fun/allowed.

Go for it! icon_smile.gif

People will tell you a ton of "no's" icon_mad.gif and then they'll "but if" it to death icon_mad.gif, but the only "no" or "but if" that matters is the one from administration icon_rolleyes.gif. I think it sounds like fun and a great twist to geocaching! icon_wink.gif

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur