"This isn't your playground, guys."

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Are you kidding me? This isn't your playground guys. Cut the garbage posts in the forums.

That line was used to close a thread.

Maybe, just maybe, if people could actually access geocaching.com this morning and download a few cache pages, they wouldn't have to "play" in the forums.

I don't think of it as a whole playground per se. More like a small backyard sandbox. The old kind from when I was a kid. The kind without a cover that all the neighborhood cats would come and leave presents in. icon_wink.gif

DIBS ON THE YELLOW DUMP TRUCK!!!

[Do I hear keys rustling?]

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

If there was a park closer to my house I would be hiding a cache there right now. Instead, I have to use this as my playground.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

Yellow Monkey Bar Vacation Virtual that's not there?

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

If you guys are the future of caching, we're all in a lot of trouble.

Actually, I'm "the ghost of caching past and present," jomarac.

Fortunately for me, I finally managed to log onto geocaching.com and downloaded a couple of caches. I therefore relinquish the soap box, and grant you permission to hijack this thread.

Wow, three threads later and I finally found one that was still open. Yeah, I totally agree. Topics do seem to drift off a bit. That's ok by me. What bothers me is the malicious derailment of threads that happens all to often. Someone posts a topic, and then some loser immediately sets a negative tone for the whole thread with one stupid post. Why not wait a bit before you impose your misery on everyone else? (just to clarify, I'm not necessarily refferring to any of the posts in this thread, so don't assume I'm talking about anyone in particular)

96920_1100.jpg

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

quote:

If only it was a yellow jeep instead of a dump truck...

Geez, don't get me started on that one. I've seen two, TWO FREAKIN' Yellow Jeeps in the past two days and I wasn't quick enough either time to pull out my digital camera and take the dang shot.

I know I'm going to obsess over this one until I finally get a shot.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I logged the yellow jeep a couple months ago and I'm still seeing the &*^%$ing yellow jeeps!

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:

If only it was a yellow jeep instead of a dump truck...

Geez, don't get me started on that one. I've seen two, TWO FREAKIN' Yellow Jeeps in the past two days and I wasn't quick enough either time to pull out my digital camera and take the dang shot.

I know I'm going to obsess over this one until I finally get a shot.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Are you kidding me? This isn't your playground guys. Cut the garbage posts in the forums.

Hmmmm, well, that's interesting. I thought this was our playground. Perhaps we've mis-used some of the playground equipment from time to time, but that's the nature of the beast. I love ya Jeremy, but man, lighten up....LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

A self appointed moderator, with 0 finds, in the GPS forum said I was _petty and warped_!?

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/sad/confusedbig.gif

Am I?

_Where's my dadgum ball?! I'm going home. I don't need this GPSr anymore. Where is my hammer!_

_Who's playground is this anyway?_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197

_POWDER!!!!!!_

http://www.global-dialog.org/mvd/mvl.cgi?NextName=wAnti-Mokita.html

And all this time I thought it was pretty and wrapped.

Yours makes more sense. icon_cool.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Hmmmm, well, that's interesting. I thought this was our playground. Perhaps we've mis-used some of the playground equipment from time to time, but that's the nature of the beast. I love ya Jeremy, but man, lighten up....LOL.

Let's hope the Webby Awards has a "Best Benevolent Dictatorship Site" category next year. icon_smile.gif

http://www.tampabaygeocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Actually, what's more unbelievable is that the http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=62760387 was closed down in just over an hour of the time it was posted because some people would rather discuss everything except the topic.

Sorry I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Forums and the threads they produce are meant to be like that. It is a free flow of ideas an exchange of thoughts. If it goes in some other direction so be it. If you find the discussion not going in a direction you had hoped then maybe emailing persons that have shown what you consider to be a serious interest in the topic would be best. I think you throw an idea out into a forum and see who salutes. Then go from there and carry on as you like. I look at off topic posts as static I move past them and read what does apply to the topic at hand. Everyday I come across things that bother me, I don't like, annoy me, etc. I just keep going and go about my business. I don't expect some type of higher authority to come down and clean up the clutter for me. If I have a right to enjoy what I what (and I do), those people also have that right (and they do).

And yes I do think this is our playground. If you don't want to be running a free and open web site then lock it all down. You can gather up all the people that think you are God and you can sit in a circle and have everybody tell you how great you are and everybody else is just a trouble maker. It is amazing to me what I have seen here lately: this remark from Jeremy, the remark made by an approver after archiving a cache, the total lack of response to the users of this site when requesting new features, the end to certain types of caches because they don't fit TPTB view of what caching is about, it goes on and on.

Really weird episode that has happened here.

I kinda relate it to deja-vu (or however you spell it), but....

I was leaving a local department store the other day (after spending $150 or so), and was attempting to play one of those "grab" machines and win my little girl a toy. BTW, 50 cents for one try? We all know the toys are strategically placed anyway, probably not worth any more than a Kennedy Half and you have to be SUPER lucky to bag one on the first try anyway.

Upon placing my first Massachusetts (that's right, it was in fact Mass.), the coin jammed inside the machine. I quickly pressed the release button again and again, but sadly lost one quarter.

Feeling one step up, I tried the *other* slot with yet another quarter (Indiana). You all know the outcome of this try.

Upon examining the entry/exit slot of the machine, I noticed there were roughly 10-12 quarters jammed in the return area of each slot.

I tried recklessly to retrieve my quarters for a matter of minutes when an employee approached me as if I was breaking into the machine.

"It's out of order!" She snapped. "Why isn't there a sign on it saying so?," I replied.

"I don't know." Obviously, she didn't care, anyway.

Aside of the rude and disrespectful manner of the employee, I continued to "fetch" MY two quarters.

Promptly, the manager came and assured me that regardless of my innocent plea for fifty cents, the local authorities will soon be present.

Just at that time, PRESTO! I finally broke the flapper and quarters went flying everywhere!!

I quickly snagged up not twelve, but twenty three quarters and handed them to the manager.

With both hands full of quarters, I picked MY two out of his hands and stated my intentions were getting my god**& fifty cents back and that's all! Also mentioned there should've been an out- of- order sign to prevent this type of situation in the first place. I also hinted around that they were the culprits implying that when the store closed, those employees involved hovered around the machine and secretly snagged all the *stuck* quarters and set it up for the next day.

Cheerfully, I then proceeded to the car with my daughter and went to Wal-Mart and bought her a nice toy.

Relevant or not, THAT was MY playground.

Seems that paying customers should have a right or two concerning the matter at hand.

48511_5100.JPG

Green acres is the place to be.....

quote:
Grizzly John wrote:

Sorry I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Forums and the threads they produce are meant to be like that. It is a free flow of ideas an exchange of thoughts.

I wholeheartedly agree regarding your comments about the free flow of ideas. However, when there are those who go out of their way to disrupt discussions just for the sake of disrupting them, it is a problem. It's rudeness, plain and simple. I posted my message in the hopes that some would stand up and realize that there are topics that need to be discussed -- important topics that concern all of us and the future of caching.

Granted, the two examples that I used may not have been really important on the grand scale of things, but they are important to the people who created them. What followed was a lack of respect by those who mocked those subjects. And this is an ongoing problem by the same obnoxious posters.

For discussion forums to work effectively, they need to be moderated -- the rude comments, the name calling, the off topic remarks, etc, need to be weeded out -- and this is not censorship, or creating more rules, nor does it require scrutinizing every post before listing -- it is simply pointing out common sense and a good manners to those who do not possess it. It is not about taking away the freedom to have open speech -- it is keeping the channels to open communication clear of unnecessary clutter.

I do very much agree with what you state in your observation about the remarks made by Jeremy, the approver, and the lack of response to the requests of the users of this website -- if I ran my business this way, insulting and ignoring the requests of my customers, I couldn't expect people to be lining up with their money in hand to purchase my product. Nor could I realistically expect to be in business for long. It's my hope that this changes, as it would be a shame to see this site fail because someone wasn't listening.

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on August 19, 2003 at 07:11 AM.]

Jomarac5, you're part of the problem. You're a huge part of the problem. You've even hijacked this thread to whine about the lack of moderation. And don't give me that crap about how if there were decent moderators you wouldn't get away with being a jackass. If you and those like you had any sense of decency, we wouldn't need moderators. At least the silly jokes don't usually completely destroy a thread like the pointless flamewars that erupt whenever you open your worthless mouth.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

... the total lack of response to the users of this site when requesting new features ...

It'd be nice if they'd acknowledge it when people report that some existing feature is broken, too. How many threads got started in the forums about the login problem?!

Running a site any which way you want to - ignoring the wishes of the visitors, not fixing things which are broken, etc - is fine when it's being done as a personal project. As soon as you start asking for money, it's a whole different matter. When people pay for a service, they expect that service to function as advertised. It doesn't seem that TPTB have made the mental transition from free service to paid service yet, and they're acting as if they're still giving us something for nothing.

With that said, I think that Jeremy et al have generally done an extraordinary job with the site in a relatively short period of time. Kudos to the Groundspeak team for doing a great job. I would just like them to start treating their customers like customers, not like people that are getting something for nothing.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Now that some of the snickering and bickering have died down some, I will respond a little to this.

I agree Jomarac5 about the moderation. I've been around message boards for years. Even longer than that with the Usenet Newsgroups and other communication resources before then. I have not visited any other messageboard that wasn't moderated. At least not moderated to a point where things were kept respectable between the people. Everyonce in a while, you may see some tempers flare, but nothing like here. Normally the other message boards are moderated by volunteers. They are usually assigned portions of the board. They have the ability to warn posters and remove things in posts that are inflammatory towards others or things that are not suited for everyone's eyes. Granted all of us are guilty of these things here. Some people state that they don't want censorship, more rules and etc. But moderating a message board is far from that. This is a private message board and Groundspeak can run it the way they wish. Whether if they want to allow the behavior to continue or not. I agree that certain statements by staff and others that represent the business have been quiet disconcerning to their customers. While the message board and listing of caches are free, many people do support it with premium memberships and purchasing items from their store. Will it go down because of some concerned customers and users who may no longer pay or support the site financially? Maybe not. It may cause an effect where memberships will cost more and things in the store to go higher in cost. But at this point I think it would take a lot of upset people to do it.

I've witnessed a message board, go from a free site with thousands and thousands of users and then they decided to charge a yearly membership and their membership base dropped to about 500 quickly if that much. They are teetering right now with their business as other free websites are now supporting the thousands that left.

Of course I've gotten flammed and bashed on here. I still come back because it doesn't bother me. But many others don't or won't.

Solohiker mentioned about how the site is run like a hobby more so than a business. If you think about it, he's not too far off.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Okay, I'll make it simple, since nobody seems to get it: If we had moderators, this whole thread would be sh!tcanned. You all whine about how Jeremy doesn't let you do what you want on his site, imagine what would happen if he also didn't let you say what you want on his site. You should be happy that you can say whatever you want, and express your joy by exercising some self-censorship and moderation in what you say.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Okay, I'll make it simple, since nobody seems to get it: _If we had moderators, this whole thread would be sh!tcanned. You all whine about how Jeremy doesn't let you do what you want on his site, imagine what would happen if he also didn't let you _say_ what you want on his site._ You should be happy that you can say whatever you want, and express your joy by exercising some self-censorship and moderation in what you say.

http://parkrrrr.com/pirate.cgi.gif

Yeah! What fuzzy said. I can't believe you are getting so upset Jomarac5, don't you have a scroll bar? Don't you believe in freedom of speech? Are you still upset that someone photoshopped your picture? (Which was beautiful by the way). Please, take a deep breath. Relax dude! I can't believe how far you are taking this, when it started out as nothing at all. And for the rest of you! There are 4 people running this site. Cut them some slack and get off their backs. They are doing the best they can to make everyone happy. They have been working on the log in issue, they have switched servers so they can meet our needs, have patience and let's all have some fun. You're starting to get to even me! So stop it and enjoy what you've got. I know two people who lost loved ones in two days. Things could be a lot worse you know. Sheesh! icon_rolleyes.gif Don't make me come down there!

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.