Dogs and mosquitos

I'm curious what those of you who cache with your dogs do to protect them from mosquitos. I went on a maintenance run to one of my caches and took my dog along. She was so covered in mosquitos that I had to quit and leave. It was obvious that she was miserable. I had bug spray on so they weren't bothering me but I'm not going to put the same stuff on her. Are there any effective products out there for dogs?

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS / 128MB

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

http://www.darkglobe.com/geocache

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Nothing for the mosquitos. But I do check for ticks after having found one in my dog.

Besides my youngest daughter seems to attract all the mosquitos anyway.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I use the same stuff on my dog that I use on me. It isn't an aerosol. I spray it into my hands then rub it into his fur. That's for the short term need. He actually looks forward to it for two really big reasons... he truly enjoys the rubdown - it's the best attention giver, and it provides him the same relief. It all stays from his ears back so it won't affect his respiration, and it will peripherally keep them away from his face.

I bought some Frontline for him, but have yet to take him out on an extended trip since I bought it to try it.

Cheers!

TL

Talked this over with my vet on Monday. The stuff that is on TV to repel mosquitos only works until one of two conditions occurs, the dog gets wet or the dog gets a bath. My dogs start to get a little ripe after a run and my male loves to get wet. I will give the rub down a try. Care to specify a brand, and does it contain DEET?

Let's see, I have my fire-retardant keyboard and monitor, therefore I am ready to read the flames, I mean messages in the forum.

quote:
last time i went out with my dog, i was the only one that got ticks. am i doing something wrong?

YES! Well... maybe ticks just like you alot, but it would have to be ALOT for them to prefer you over the dog! I'm one of those lucky people who ticks don't seem to like. Mosquitos don't bother me as much either, but they still do get me. You know what? I'm also not sensitive to poison ivy. Hmmm... I hope I'm not toxic! Anyway, they love my dog, but I would rather pull ticks out of her than me (poor dog)! The ticks also loved an ex boyfriend of mine. Again, better to pull them out of someone else than me (poor ex... I think)!

P.S. I'm not sure if either of these are true for all, but it used to be known that Avon Skin-So-Soft would repel mosquitos. I used it on several trips and felt it worked ok. I also still use it, which could account for my luck, but who knows? Also, when I was younger, I used to wear Love's Baby Soft perfume (ick, I hate perfume now) and found that it tended to ward off mosquitos. It also killed/repelled an army of ants that was coming in my house once when I sprayed it on them. I found that interesting.

pokeanim3.gif

hey don't sell the pixie dust short! i use it al the time, and it has a variety of uses, practical, educational, and entertaining. ounce for ounce, it's some of the best most cost effective stuff out there.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Avon now makes a Skin So Soft specificaly for a bug repellent. I have used the original and it seemed to work.

Avon says that it is the same formula with citronella added. What is funny is that I know a few people who claim that it isn't the original formula in there and that the plain old Skin-So-Soft works better. I can't really say what is correct. I do use the regular old formula and it seems to help.

Being a dog trainer, my wife has an all natural mix she makes to spray on her dogs. I do not know what the formula is, but if I can get her to give it up I will post it here. All I know is it smells a lot more pleasent than OFF, and seems to keep the mosquitos off too. Of course, we do not have many mosquitos out here, just along the river, and when the wind is not blowing.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!