where's george dollars?

maxd1

I'd much rather find a George than most of the other junk left in caches. Occasionally I spend them, but mostly I leave them in another cache. I just left a George that I created in a cache about 2 hours ago. Traded for 2 state quarters... I'd say that's trading up!

Boring! I think it's the lazy/cheap way out of trading. I certainly have no interest in taking them--that's what "work" is for. I'd much rather trade an interesting/unique/weird/different/cool item.

They also offer the detraction of vandalism, potentially making caches a target for adolescents..

I apparently have an opinion--at first blush I thought I didn't care! However, as always, to each their own...

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:

Boring! I think it's the lazy/cheap way out of trading. I certainly have no interest in taking them--that's what "work" is for. I'd much rather trade an interesting/unique/weird/different/cool item.

They also offer the detraction of vandalism, potentially making caches a target for adolescents..

The trouble is that most caches don't have interesting/unique/weird/different/cool items.

As far as the "detraction of vandalism", what kid is going to spend $100 or more on a GPS, just so they could raid caches with WG$'s? They'd have to raid 100, or more caches before they made their money back.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I've had bad luck with WG's over the past couple years. I've found and placed several WG's in caches over the months. Unfortunately, they seem to disappear from circulation! It seems that people are too lazy to record them or the banks are taking them out of circulation.

Two months ago I found a WG in a cache and took it. I recorded it and then laminated it in plastic. I then attached a laminated card to the dollar explaining how to record it and my desire for it to visit caches. So far it has been recorded four times since I released it!

Finally! a WG that is remaining in circulation!

Rand (RandMan)

I occasionally leave WG dollars in caches. I think it is fine. It could be overdone though. I just want them in circulation. I don't care if they go into another cache or get spent. I just want people logging them. I have a hard time staying above 5% hit rate on my WG dollars.

There is or was a cache in KY that was just for WG dollars.

I think that geocaching and wheres george seem to attract a lot of the same folks.

I usually leave a WG$ when I go caching and if I find one in a cache I usually will take it out.

I do not usually put them back in caches as I know the WG people arent' to crazy about that. I just put them in my wallet, enter them, and spend them in my everyday transactions.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The trouble is that most caches don't have interesting/unique/weird/different/cool items.

As far as the "detraction of vandalism", what kid is going to spend $100 or more on a GPS, just so they could raid caches with WG$'s?

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

On that first point, too true, but WG's contribute to that problem in my mind.

What kid buys anything? It's easier to use Dad's--saves having to get a ride to the store.

On the third point (your quote), I guess then you appreciate the vandals! {grin}

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Two months ago I found a WG in a cache and took it. I recorded it and then laminated it in plastic.

Dude you can't do that! icon_eek.gif Just marking "Wheresgeorge.com" isn't making the money unusable so it's ok. But if you laminate it you take it out of circulation! Are you sure that Doesn't go beyond Treasury Dept guidelines?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

As far as the "detraction of vandalism", what kid is going to spend $100 or more on a GPS, just so they could raid caches with WG$'s? They'd have to raid 100, or more caches before they made their money back.

I wonder why so many people seem to think that vandals don't already have, or have access to a GPS. Any good vandal should already have his hands on one.

Laminating? Doesn't that just suck the life right out of our free range dollars?

Hell if I was thirsty and needed an emergency Mountain Dew how am I supposed to convince the clerk to take my laminated buck. "Yes it's real, get the manager, can't you see this Mountan Dew is a crisis?"

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I've left a WG in every cache I've hit so far. I doubt I'll keep it up forever, but I think it’s a great cache item. I've never taken anything worth a buck out of a cache so I know I've always traded up. I also don't think it violates WG rules because, since I always take something, I consider it "natural and geographic circulation" consistent with Where's George user guidelines. But even if it isn't, who cares. I'm not trying to make the most hits list. I just get a kick out of being notified when someone hits one of my bills.

I don't care what people do with it after they register my bill. I would like it if they'd put it in another cache (that’s what I would do if I found one). Regardless, I think it’s a great cache item. A fact that is evidenced by the fact that every bill I've left has been picked up in the following 1 or 2 visits.

Originally posted by bystox:

I've left a WG in every cache I've hit so far. I doubt I'll keep it up forever, but I think it’s a great cache item. I've never taken anything worth a buck out of a cache so I know I've always traded up.

the point is to improve the cache-but what kind of caches do you get-nothing found over a buck. wow. icon_eek.gif