Most finds in a single day

Just to satisfy my curiosity I looked for any threads on this topic. Found way too many posts weith the keywords I used, so I'm doing a poll:

What's the most number of finds you've done in a single day, not including locationless ones? What was your day like & did you find yourself pushing to "get in one more"? If so, did this affect your ability to enjoy the hunt? Just curious.

My answer would likely be 5-7. I find if I try to plan too much I end up rushing & feeling pressured & not enjoying myself as much as I would've if I didn't plan so ambitiously. Now I figure out what's possible then just head out & see where the day takes me. I get much more enjoyment. The others I don't get will be there the next time (most likely)

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I'm only up to 4 but I did that in just over an hour while I was waiting for my wife that had some meeting to attend. Mind you 3 of them were virtuals and the fourth was a traditional. I haven't actually had a FULL day of caching yet. When I do I plan on getting some numbers in. icon_smile.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I'm only up to 4 but I did that in just over an hour while I was waiting for my wife that had some meeting to attend. Mind you 3 of them were virtuals and the fourth was a traditional. I haven't actually had a FULL day of caching yet. When I do I plan on getting some numbers in. icon_smile.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

I did six (one was a virt) just a couple of weeks ago. I picked out a dense area near me (South Mountain). Started at 6:30ish and ended around 1pm.

The only thing I did not plan on was how BIG this reservation is. I thought it might be like Watchung, where you could park in a single spot all day, and walk to at least five. The South Mountain route entailed a bit more driving than I anticipated. And I even missed two in that park!

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Sometimes I will take trips in an unfamiliar area where I can try a lot of easy 1/1 and 2/1 type caches. This lets me get familiar with the locations so when I come back for the harder caches I have an idea of the terrain, roads, etc.

I did that this past weekend on an unrelated trip to the other side of the state and did 9 one day and 12 the next.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

I think that once you go beyond 5 in a day, you are just feeding the R.A.S.H. The Beast

I've been confused long enough. What is the R.A.S.H that you always talk about? icon_confused.gif

quote:

I think that once you go beyond 5 in a day, you are just feeding the R.A.S.H. The Beast

I've been confused long enough. What is the R.A.S.H that you always talk about? icon_confused.gif

I've had two 24-find days and a number of 10+ days. The 24-find days seem more impressive than they ctually are. On both occasions, a number of the caches were related to a meeting.

On 5/11/02, 10 caches were put out for a get together (1 was the event cache). On 8/25/02, 5 caches were put out for a meeting (1 was the event cache) On this date, 10 were also virts in a local zoo.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

...6 in 13 minutes...

No disrespect for you 30-cache day, that's an impressive total no matter how you look at it... but just a general observation on the comment...

Who would put caches that close together? I just don't see the fun in that. I guess I'll stick with my boxes hidden in the woods.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

My most is 10 in one day, during PaterQuest.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

quote:

You got it too!

Recreational Activity Sport or Hobby - R.A.S.H.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

quote:

You got it too!

Recreational Activity Sport or Hobby - R.A.S.H.

Our best was 17. We started the day with four physical caches that only took a couple of hours. We were so surprised, we found a library and printed off some more. Five hours later, we had found another 13! Eight were virtuals.

Yep, several were very close together- four in one park, and all within .25 miles of each other.

The next was a mile away, and etc.

Just last Saturday, we logged our biggest day of 9 caches found. Friday, I mapped out 12 in the same general area, with a goal of getting a double digit find-count in one day. After 8 finds, one CAN'T FIND, one multi where the next point was out of our planned area, another multi that we bagged due to time, we decided to try the 9th (last planned) on the way home. It was 6:10 pm when we drove in the park. A sign said GATE LOCKED AT 7:00. We rushed in, did the ~1 mile hike, despite the 'BATTERIES LOW' message on the GPSr. Earlier in the day the batteries died, but I had extra batteries in my pocket. Doh, apparently I dropped one somewhere earlier, so I only had 1 to refresh the GPSr. That combo didnt last long, but died right when we found the cache. Later that night, I added a travel bug to my own cache, so technically, I did visit 10 caches/one day :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

...6 in 13 minutes...

No disrespect for you 30-cache day, that's an impressive total no matter how you look at it... but just a general observation on the comment...

Who would put caches that close together? I just don't see the fun in that. I guess I'll stick with my boxes hidden in the woods.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

My most is 10 in one day, during PaterQuest.

Jamie

I totally agree with you. My personal criteria is that I will do any cache in the state of Michigan. I did them because they were there. I think every historic marker in the entire town was a virtual cache, some were interesting but yes I much prefer finding a box.

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

I found 24, 6 locationless but then a couple weeks ago I found 21 with just one being a virtual.

What makes any big number day possible is planning. Map everything out before hand, download all the coordinates and have the pages loaded into the palm so you don't need a library of printouts. If you just keep going to the next closest cache you can get a lot of caches done.

Look at the next closest cache, is it in the general direction you'd like to go anyway? Are there others in the area? Those are the kind of questions you ask in a big number day.

That is not the way I generally cache. Casual caching just requires for the cache to be there and for me to have time.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on October 09, 2002 at 03:13 PM.]

My biggest day was 1 physical in West Yellowstone and 11 virtuals in Yellowstone Park--my wife and I agree that going from one virtual to the next was a great way to tour Yellowstone. As far as a strictly physical cache day, I got to 8 that were all placed at the same time--for me finding them, it was a 2 hour trek over 4 miles from one parking spot. 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally

Since I have found most of the closeby local caches now, driving is required, so I like to plan a loop or such when I go out. I normally end up with 7-10 caches to visit and 30 benchmarks to find (normally find 10 or so of the 30). I find this makes for a good 8 hour hiking/exploring fun day.

As for pushing for one more...sometimes. Most of the time, I end up not doing all on the list for the day due to 'tired feet' syndrome icon_razz.gif

Juanbob icon_eek.gif

Since I have found most of the closeby local caches now, driving is required, so I like to plan a loop or such when I go out. I normally end up with 7-10 caches to visit and 30 benchmarks to find (normally find 10 or so of the 30). I find this makes for a good 8 hour hiking/exploring fun day.

As for pushing for one more...sometimes. Most of the time, I end up not doing all on the list for the day due to 'tired feet' syndrome icon_razz.gif

Juanbob icon_eek.gif

I had planned a cache-a-thon that cut through the Nashville city area (and they thought General Sherman was something when he did something similar 160yrs ago!)

Some of them were historical virtuals, 1/3d were boxes, but there were MANY micros!

When travelling to cache, I like to create 1 virtual 'thank you' cache for the locals in their area for every 10 caches I find. I try to make them historical, and prefer military memorials as I am a veteran.

I plan mass caches like this as it helps me to lose weight. My goal is to lose 10 lbs for every 100 caches. I have over 200 hides/finds and have lost over 20 lbs! I'll be lean and mean when I make 1,000 caches!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I had planned a cache-a-thon that cut through the Nashville city area (and they thought General Sherman was something when he did something similar 160yrs ago!)

Some of them were historical virtuals, 1/3d were boxes, but there were MANY micros!

When travelling to cache, I like to create 1 virtual 'thank you' cache for the locals in their area for every 10 caches I find. I try to make them historical, and prefer military memorials as I am a veteran.

I plan mass caches like this as it helps me to lose weight. My goal is to lose 10 lbs for every 100 caches. I have over 200 hides/finds and have lost over 20 lbs! I'll be lean and mean when I make 1,000 caches!!! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ooga booga:

Looking through the logs during my recent visit to AZ, there's a cacher out there named Wolfb8 who apparently did 45(!!) on 9/9/02, most of which were actual physical caches. icon_eek.gif

That was an impressive number of finds in a day! I didn't realize it at the time, but in late August a buddy from Tucson and I went up to Phoenix for a caching and baseball expedition and I ended up with a record number of cache finds in one day for the state of Arizona. We visited 22 cache sites that day with one not found and one that I had done before while he had done 6 of the ones I hadn't before, so I had 20 finds for the day while my friend had 14. The record stood for only 2 weeks until WolfB8's impressive day. A couple weeks ago, I had another reason to visit Phoenix, so I went up early and found another 14 caches. I did one multi in each visit, BTW, and only one locationless during my 2nd visit.

Jim, Team Scotti

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/geocache.html

9-9-02 45 visited caches in one day...... A record for me!!!

40 micro/normal, 3 virtual, and 2 locationless for a grand total of 45 caches found.

total time spent including the drive from north phx and back 11 hours take away .... take away 2 hours for driving to chandler and back, 45 minutes visiting the nice police officer, 15 minutes waiting for the kids to leave, and half a hour for lunch total time spent caching is 8 hours

The first part was way fun and near the end the day turned in to a blurr...don't think i will ever try that again....did it mostly to make a point that in that area of town there are way to many caches to close together!!!!!

all and all a good day caching

before this my record was 12

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind

[This message was edited by wolfb8 on October 10, 2002 at 10:33 PM.]

I did 10 in one day when I was visiting out of state and my friend had to work. I started in the morning and finished as the sun was setting-but didn't enjoy the last couple-too rushed. I prefer 3-5 in one day with some nice hiking mixed in so my dogs and I get a workout and a relaxed day. It is supposed to be fun-and not about the numbers.

------------------------

Off topic...

but I just had to say that "Joecthulhu" is a tight name. Please tell me that's your real last name. BTW the pic you have just doesn't fit the name. Cute, but it just doesn't do Cthulhu justice.

KURTULEAS

------------------------

I've using this alias for a long time now, but I just got into Geocaching. Sorry, but it's not my real name. Although, I have had people ask me about it's ethnic origin. I tell them that it's Czech, and I'm ususally able to keep a straight face. I'm looking for a more appropriate avatar, but for now, I think using a picture of my daughter in a Minnie Mouse costume is funny in it's inappropriateness.

Yesterday I was able to log 12 finds and 2 no-finds. I broke my old record of 8 finds in one day. I spent too much time on the no-finds. I was really trying to beat Rubbertoe's record of 17 in one day, but luck was not with me. All-in-all, I'm quite happy to beat my old record, the new total gives me something new to shoot for.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeCthulhu:

I found 30 virtual caches in and around the National Mall in DC Saturday morning. I walked about 10 miles, and it took me 4 hours and 11 minutes from start to finish. Boy am I tired and sore.

Did you happen to save your track log? Might be interesting to look at.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

I'm pretty new to Geocaching, and using a GPS, so I"m not sure. Also, my batteries started running low, and I didn't bring spares, so I turned off the unit when it became obvious where I was going, which for most of the National Mall v-caches was most of the time.

I just check my GPS, and I don't think it's still there. Darn, I should have thought about saving my tracks.