Used amo boxs soon no longer available!!

I was at a local military surplus store yesterday mar20,02. While talking to the owner of the store, who i trust was telling the truth, as ive known him for a while. He told me that the military is no longer going to sell used amo boxes, that they are going to start crushing and recycling them. he told me that what he had on hand was all he could get. I hope that he has been misinformed and this is not going to happen. has anyone else herd this or somthing like it

Japonisicon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I got a similar but different story from the local military surplus store here. The owner told me the military was going to start getting ammo vacuum packed in high quality plastic. Which even if high quality, long lasting and highly water resistent would be cheaper than metal ammo boxes.

Although Tupperwear is not as good it is better in one respect. The finder can see inside of the Tupperwear container and this will not appear threatning. Ammo boxes have been destroyed by non-Geocacher finders, especially if they are found in locations that might be "bomb" suspect, such as Military bases and/or public access spots.

quote:
Originally Quoted By Gare27:

Although Tupperwear is not as good it is better in one respect. The finder can see inside of the Tupperwear container and this will not appear threatning. Ammo boxes have been destroyed by non-Geocacher finders, especially if they are found in locations that might be "bomb" suspect, such as Military bases and/or public access spots.

So far, I've only heard of two geocaches blown up by the bomb squad. One WAS transluscent tupperware, the other was an ammobox.

Can someone point out in clear evidence that ammocans are getting blown up more than tupperware? Why does this ALWAYS have to come up?!?!?

quote:
Originally Quoted By: geospotter

I can see the log now. "Took ammo case, left Tupperware."

Think that's funny? read my 2/16 log entry on this cache: GC25D3

icon_biggrin.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by Gare27:

Although Tupperwear is not as good it is better in one respect. The finder can see inside of the Tupperwear container and this will not appear threatning.

Tupperware has been blown up by the bomb squad just as enthusiastically as ammo boxes.

I agree with you in sprit though, were I to stumple across a container designed to hold food or toys I would be less nervous than if that had been designed to hold things that go *Boom*.

quote:

Originally posted by VentureForth:

Why does this __ALWAYS__ have to come up?!?!?

For the same reason that people think that a synthetic stock makes a 'sporting rifle' into an 'assault weapon' and that a 1" folding pocket knife in a cache will enable a convict to escape from chain gangs an turn decent teenagers into killers. icon_frown.gif

Just wanted to point out that you are not the only country in the world (USA)!!! We have an Army in Canada eh! We've got lots of Ammo boxes. At $10 Canadian that's about $0.50 USD!!!!

P.S. If you come to Toronto, don't forget to stop by the hockey hall of fame!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Just wanted to point out that you are not the only country in the world (USA)!!! We have an Army in Canada eh! We've got lots of Ammo boxes. At $10 Canadian that's about $0.50 USD!!!!

This is true. These ammo boxes have a capacity of something like 20,000 BBs too.

Ever been to K-W surplus, MrCpu? Check it out next itme you're heading west.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

P.S. If you come to Toronto, don't forget to stop by the hockey hall of fame!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I bet it'd be a lot of fun bringing a load of ammo boxes across the border!

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

However if you visit your local Walmart you'll find a plastic version of an ammo can used for fishing if it comes down to it.

Maybe a little pricey but a great box with o-ring seal. I'm using one now in a cache. A little roomier than 50 cal also. After getting it home I hated to part with it! icon_cool.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

I was at Walmart yesterday and I noticed two things:

1. Rubbermaid "RoughTote" about 8"x12"x8" for $3.00 CAN

2. These new Locking sandwich and such storage containers. The Pasta one was 4" sqare by 12" tall with an o-ring and locks on 3 sides and the hinge on the other for $9.00 CAN

The first would be a great cache, just use ziplock bags. The second would seal really well but it's on the small end of a regular cache. It's also transparent which can be good.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

One gallon mayonaisse containers from your favorite restaurants or Sam's club. Pelican cases and Otter Boxes on eBay. Kalamata olive containers. Underseat storage boxes for canoes. Waterproof lexan boxes from camping supply stores.

You've got plenty of options.

Just remember any container that has had food stored in it ... you should definitely soak in a bleach solution ... or the first cacher to find it is going to be a critter looking for food!

348_2602.gif

Our local surplus outlet didn't know anything about ammo cans being stopped. Prices remain steady at $4 and $6 for .30 cal and .50 cal respectively. They weren't suprised at the thought of new packaging for ammo, though. But they did think that it was stupid if the military scraps the metal instead of wholesaling out the surplus.

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

My local supply places didnt know anything about the surplus drying up, they just mentioned that with the activation of local bases, getting surplus was difficult. They weren't sure when (or if) they would be getting more can in. Just the same, I will probably stock up. I use them for other stuff around the house as well, so I dont want to put all of them out in the woods.

I order my ammocan from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (it's a quasi-government program). They cost a little over $99 but then they are filled with 400 rounds of 30.06 cal military surplus rifle ammo for my M-1. It's great target practice ammo.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

My local supply places didnt know anything about the surplus drying up, they just mentioned that with the activation of local bases, getting surplus was difficult. They weren't sure when (or if) they would be getting more can in. Just the same, I will probably stock up. I use them for other stuff around the house as well, so I dont want to put all of them out in the woods.

I have a pretty good idea of how you wrap up your girlfriend's presents . . . icon_wink.gif