PRIVATE GEOCACHING EVENT TURNS INTO REAL LIFE SEARCH AND RESCUE MISSION

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

Most of the BS in the forums, like that sock puppet nonsense, is totally inconsequential.

And isn't it ironic, that typically, the BS threads get huge page views, while the 'real stuff' slips away. More Americans would rather watch Jerry Springer than a PBS special on extinction.

The soap-box depends on viewers and consumers. As much as I like slamming the pseudo-capitalist portrayers, we are responsible for what we induldge in.

So my Sock Puppet thread doesn't excite you. Good deal. Like bad brussel sprouts, you can not eat them.

LEB- I'll bet that e-mails were used to communicate the instructions at least partially, and I think of this as geocaching, albeit an expanded, more extreme form. I'm not sure that trying to brand what they were after as something other than a geocache makes any difference. We know that the cache wasn't posted here, but we also know that the 3 parties involved have 1000+ combined finds...

Geraldo

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

More Americans would rather watch Jerry Springer than a PBS special on extinction.

Of course, as a Canadian, I'd rather watch a PBS special on the extinction of Jerry Springer. icon_biggrin.gif

(Sadly, I suspect we Canadians are just as bad about stuff like that, though I can't fathom why. I watched under 2 minutes of it once, and that was enough to convince me that it was worse than a waste of time.)

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:
SylvrStorm wrote:

Of course, as a Canadian, I'd rather watch a PBS special on the extinction of Jerry Springer

That's funny. Actually, I believe the show of choice is now the critically acclaimed (or is it critically ashamed?) Canadian production of 'Trailer Park Boys'. Now there's some good TV. icon_wink.gif

Time for this thread to slip away...

BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW: Has Search and Rescue has ever been called to rescue cachers on a hunt for an actual geocache with coordinates posted on geocaching.com for all to see??

PS Canadazuuk - I am sorry my question implied this topic shouldn't be here or isn't of interest to this forum - it should be here and it is of interest. Especially since the people involved are MAJOR geocachers, like you say. Nonetheless, I'm not convinced the use of e-mail qualifies the private treasure hunt as a geocache: Posting the coordinates on the WWW for all to see is an essential ingredient; without it, no geocache.}

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 25, 2003 at 10:38 PM.]

All this talk has made me curious, so if anyone knows the answer to my question posted three up, please ignore Robert M's comment and enlighten me!} icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

And I always wondered why people bothered quoting what they were answering when it seemed to me so much easier to just refer to it concisely. Now I can see it's very useful in case the person whose comment you are answering EDITS THEIR POST, Ah!!

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 25, 2003 at 11:03 PM.]

quote:

Daggette nearly called SAR when Dagg and myself didn't show one evening.

All the reason why people should be getting themselves satellite phones. I remember a few months ago when I was following the TEAM KFWB caches they warned on there that one should take a sattelite phone and be prepared for anything. I also remember one time while doing one of their caches on the Island and did not have a sat-phone thinking what a situation I'd be in if I somehow got stuck where I was. The Island has some wild terrain and one needs to be prepared for any situation. A sat-phone is an essential part of today's modern survival gear.

My 2c. Enough said.

The funny thing is they went through all that trouble to look for a cache that probably contained for a McDonalds toy, a bar of hotel soap, and a pez dispenser. That would be a hard one to explain to your best friend's wife if he died. "Sorry, Flo about Jim. Me and Joe Bob wanted to give you this bottle cap Jim found in the cache before he died."

So I guess this means they did not find the cache. A real geocacher would have stayed until they found it even without the right coordinates. They should be expelled from geocaching for going through that trouble and still coming out empty handed. I would have dropped a cache out there and gave it a 5/5. That is a rating no one could argue about!!

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag '94:

The funny thing is they went through all that trouble to look for a cache that probably contained for a McDonalds toy, a bar of hotel soap, and a pez dispenser.

Best read the rest of the thread.

There was part of $5000.00 up for grabs, and it was a multi-stage geocache. (whether posted online or not icon_biggrin.gif)

quote:

it was a multi-stage geocache. (whether posted online or not icon_biggrin.gif)

a multi-stage private treasure hunt.

(just practicing my quoting now that I know what it's useful for . . . icon_smile.gif )

Thank-you CZ for the answer to my question posted nine up - I'd still like to hear from any others as well!!

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 25, 2003 at 11:18 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Loonie Easter Bunnies:

a multi-stage private treasure hunt.

While the unofficial definition contained on this site loosely references the 'internet', the key statement would be: 'Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. '

I'm missing something I guess. It must matter to you for some reason. Help me out here.

We called all the other 'contests' we did geocaches, so why are the continuing adventures on the island not geocaching?

quote:

While the unofficial definition contained on this site loosely references the 'internet', the key statement would be: _'Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. '_

Well I must admit I didn't do any research and was just mouthing off based on the impression I've always had, that geocaching was an internet gps treasure hunt. Update next morning: Although I was happy to take your word for it late last night, CZ, now that I've checked where you quoted from, I think your argument is completely unconvincing but will e-mail you rather than pursuing it on your forum topic where everyone has no doubt had enough. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 26, 2003 at 01:02 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Loonie Easter Bunnies:

Earlier I wasn't convinced because it sounded as though you were just saying what you THOUGHT was the case, same as me. icon_smile.gif

I was clear (I thought) in my pointing out that the geocache was not posted on this site. And who gives a rats butt anyway! I've already lost all my hair.

I have in many threads gone by, maintained that geocaching will continue to evolve, both on this site, and quite likely elsewhere, and perhaps we will see more of these types of 'contests' etc...

Now, back to your regular programming...

Carrying on...

I was thinking that these fellows could post this adventure as a "Did not find"... but how would they do that? Ahhh.. they could E-mail the other participants.

But wait a minute!... it was a multi-stage event and it still isn't finished!?

They just haven't done the final stage yet!

They might pick up where they left off and still accomplish their goal.

NOTE: I am an optimist and the fact that I believe the event MAY be continued does not imply that the original participants may WANT to continue the adventure.

This is truly an impressive story and I have the utmost respect for those who were (are?) involved.

Dave.

(We're not worthy... we're not worthy!)

[This message was edited by davwil on June 26, 2003 at 05:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by davwil on June 26, 2003 at 05:16 AM.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Theole34 :

another prime example of news media munging up a true story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think 'muggling' or 'to muggle' up a story would be an acceptable verb?

to muggle; to mis-state due to not being in the know.

Is it just me or is there more to the story than we are being told? Now we hear that there was a $5,000 cash prize involved? Why not just tell the whole story or post links to them? Since this post was made I have felt like bits and pieces were being left out, now I see why...

theres money involved icon_rolleyes.gif

Kar

Beyond sad. I hope these guys hang up their hiking boots and never again wander anywhere that they can't ask directions at the nearest gas station.

As geocachers, we're fairly used to not knowing where the cache is, but at least most of us have the good sense to know where WE are. Always.

I am eternally happy to know that most geocachers are smart enough never to go anywhere they can't find their way out of, with or without a GPS.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Beyond sad. I hope these guys hang up their hiking boots and never again wander anywhere that they can't ask directions at the nearest gas station.

Not your fault I guess, but I never intended this copied thread to lead to the perpetuation of misinformation...

enououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenououououououououououououououououououououououououenouououououououououououououououououououououououough already!!!

I like that line!!!

DIE THREAD DIE

ok what we have.

3 guys of ??? looking for an unsanctioned geocache with 5k cash on the line.

wife's etc informed of a 3 hour tour <sorry ;o)> 3day?? trip. 4 days later no guys. call sar. Guys do the sencible thing and do all the corrct things to minimize cost and danger to the SAR techs. Kudos for this! I'm not sure I would have had the forsight knowing "I" wasn't lost.

Next, chopper and SAR show up guys accsept the coolest ride home ever.

Ok so good part??? they Live of course.

Bad part?? and Zuuk as wheelers this applies to us outside of geocaching too. a hell of a lot of time and $$$ were wasted cause they messed up somewhere. If they hadn't no sar no story.

So what did they do wrong? First the obvious they misjudged how long it would take. Now the question that someone eles asked is hwen did they know they were going to be 24hrs late??? if it was at a point where nothing they could have done would have changed it then so be it sh t happens. In my mind the error was in the time given to the wives <insert app person here>

the leson we need to learn is not how to be saved if your too stupid to figure out that you shouldn't go farther than yelling distance from the paved road. the leson is how do we prevent SAR from showing up when there not needed. And from all reports these guys had there colective brown stuff together and didn't need them. the question about paying for sar is valid it pisses me off every time I see some granola eater pulled off the grind in a t-shirt and spandex in feb But more so when SAR shows up at a perfectly good campsite askes you to finnish your beer and follow them home cause one the girls in the group didn't tell her mom she would be gone for the whole weekend. File a Flight plan with a good friend, have an option other than SAR, Call SAR last! Dont travel alone

/rant.

edit.. Yes my spelling sux has no bearing on thread, If you want to flame me personaly post the co-ords of a pub I'll by the beer <after 11pm I work nights> and you can do it in person.

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

82CJ7 & 79F250

Herd of Turtles 4x4 club