PRIVATE GEOCACHING EVENT TURNS INTO REAL LIFE SEARCH AND RESCUE MISSION

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

A private geocaching event on Vancouver Island turned into a search and rescue mission.

See the story here:

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/

This cache was not posted on geocaching.com

canadazuuk

Hhmmm.......lemme see here....uhh....goto, then backtrack...[enter]

D'oh! icon_redface.gif

Hey Joe, where's your cell phone eh?

Cell phone?? I thought YOU were bringin' yours, you hoser!

Sorry....couldn't help myself. I'm glad they were OK, buuttt....

icon_rolleyes.gif

P

carpe cerevisi

Remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail to contact me.

HIGH TECH NO HELP FOR HIKERS

Three Victoria hikers equipped with high-tech navigation equipment still managed to get lost in the dense woods of Strathcona Park.

The three men were found safe and sound Monday, three days after they had set out on a modern, technology-enhanced scavenger hunt known as geocaching.

“They were well-prepared with tarps for shelter and GPS receivers and laptop computers with navigational software, but unfortunately they had the wrong information from the beginning,” said Dan McManus, information officer for Campbell River Search and Rescue.

The three men, ages 37, 61 and 63, along with other hikers began their geocache site hunt on Friday starting from the trailhead at the Boliden Mine site.

The hunt involves someone hiding items in the woods and then the participants download pre-determined locations in order to find the hidden items.

The geocachers use global positioning satellite (GPS) receivers and laptops in order to find the hidden items. However, according to McManus, these three men didn’t realize they had downloaded incorrect coordinates from the geocache website.

“The men hiked for several hours before they realized it wasn’t what they expected,” McManus said. “The terrain was very rough and the tree cover was dense. They became delayed to the point where they were 24 hours overdue and scrambled around in the bush trying to find a route out. The men became exhausted and decided to wait at a lake they came across.”

When the men failed to return, Campbell River RCMP along with volunteer members of Search and Rescue began looking for the trio Sunday morning. Members of Comox Valley Search and Rescue along with a RCMP helicopter were also used to look for the men.

Some searchers hiked up to ridges where the could look and listen for the missing men while another team set out on their last known route.

“The area of the park the men became lost in is notorious for delaying and misleading even the most experienced hikers,” said McManus.

While descending a ridgeline, a search and rescue crew spotted the men and made contact with them around noon Monday and removed them by helicopter.

“Aside from bruises and very blistered feet, the men were okay,” McManus said.

He added that hikers should be well-prepared when they head into the wilderness. McManus said it is important to know the difference between a trail and a route.

Trails are defined and well-marked, and are suitable for novice hikers. Routes, on the other hand, are not marked and should only be used by experienced back country hikers who have extensive navigational experience.

“Be careful not to acquire a reliance on electronic navigation aids,” McManus cautioned. “GPS’s and navigation software can be useful tools but when the batteries die or they get wet, it’s back to the old map, compass and basic navigation skills.”

That's the gist. I don't feel like saying more, because the rest is second or third hand knowledge... but yes, I know who, what, and why... just not sure how, and what went wrong...

canadazuuk

That is truly a sad story...I mean I am glad they are safe, but I just dont understand how they could get that lost.

All is says is that they had the wrong coords entered. Why didnt they backtrack? Did they only have one GPS between the three of them? Did they run out of batteries? It does not say.

From reading the story, I am going to mark it up to a threesome who were not as prepared as the article suggests. It says that had their laptops with navigational software. Why do I get this picture in my head that they had a laptop with a Delorme type GPS and the tarp was just in case they got caught in the rain...

I wouldnt say I am prepared for disaster every time I hit the trail, but I don't go far into the woods unless I have enough batteries to last me 48hrs straight and maybe more depending on the distance involved. I also admit that I rely on my GPS more than I should, but I dont have maps of ever stretch of woods I enter. I have a compass in case of emergency, but without having the proper maps, its only good for keeping me from walking in circles. If reception was so bad I could not use my GPS, my main goal would be to find a clearing to get a signal, search for the closest road to my location, get a compass bearing to it and just keep walking till I hit it.

One important thing is not to panic. Once you start panicking, you make very poor decisions and that when disasters can happen.

Kar

quote:

High tech no help for hikers

By Paul Rudan

Three Victoria hikers equipped with high-tech navigation equipment still managed to get lost in the dense woods of Strathcona Park.

No, they were not lost. They knew exactly where they were, and where they were headed. They had however, not anticipated the time it would take to traverse the terrain, given continuous rain and snowpack.

quote:
The three men were found safe and sound Monday, three days after they had set out on a modern, technology-enhanced scavenger hunt known as geocaching.

“They were well-prepared with tarps for shelter and GPS receivers and laptop computers with navigational software, but unfortunately they had the wrong information from the beginning,” said Dan McManus, information officer for Campbell River Search and Rescue.

Yes, they had tarps, GPS receivers and computers, but also had paper maps and compasses. The “wrong information from the beginning” refers to an incorrectly projected waypoint.

quote:
“The men hiked for several hours before they realized it wasn’t what they expected,” McManus said. “The terrain was very rough and the tree cover was dense. They became delayed to the point where they were 24 hours overdue and scrambled around in the bush trying to find a route out. The men became exhausted and decided to wait at a lake they came across.”

The fact that they were 24 hours overdue from their expected return time is correct, but the remainder is not.

They did not “scramble around in the bush trying to find a route out”. The lake they were stopped at is a campsite - they were camping.

This article contains much erroneous information, also neglected to mention many facts that are both interesting, and truthful.

The three men have over a 100 years of combined backcountry experience. One has served as a Search and Rescue technician. One has had extensive training in wilderness survival. One has extensive training in map reading and navigation.

All had enough food for 4 more days. They were never in any danger, and were never off their intended route, or lost.

They knew they were over 24 hours overdue, and every good backpacker knows they should have someone responsible aware of their plans and intended return date. As expected, the RCMP was contacted once this time period had passed. As expected, the SAR helicopter could be heard dropping off ground crew.

So they prepared for the “rescue” by arranging the tarps to reflect light, placing pine boughs in a large arrow on a snow covered hillside, and stood by with flairs at the ready for when the helicopter was within sighting range.

There is no doubt that the drastic change in weather and unexpected soft snowpack impeded their progress, causing them to fall behind schedule. However, their preplanning with food, shelter, emergency equipment and numerous packets of fresh batteries, ensured that this was far from a life threatening experience.

This article does not reflect the experience.

quote:
Originally posted by jrav:

This article does not reflect the experience.

Well-written response. Thanks for taking the time to set the article straight. Unfortunately from my own personal experience with news agencies only a rare few seem to do serious fact checking nowadays.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Good on you JRAV, thanks for setting the story straight. Nothing worse than having a story like this blown out of perspective. Maybe it should be called the Campbell River Tabloid Inc. and the reporter takes first place for drama queen of the year. Glad to here the guy's are in good health. Regards GeoChamp!!!

I just wish that a satellite phone rental would become one of the prizes somewhere along the way, or a mandatory piece of equipment before anyone does these caches in the future... the airtime is not that unreasonable considering the $$$$.$$ at stake.

No fault of the cache hiders. Everybody going after these caches knows full well what they are getting into. The warnings are lengthy and detailed.

I wish I had been there. Perhaps two could have stayed, 2 could have hiked out?

canadazuuk

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Writer:

Hhmmm.......lemme see here....uhh....goto, then backtrack...[enter]

D'oh! icon_redface.gif

Hey Joe, where's your cell phone eh?

Cell phone?? I thought YOU were bringin' yours, you hoser!

Sorry....couldn't help myself. I'm glad they were OK, buuttt....

Don't expect a cell phone to work in the backcountry. It won't.

quote:

No, they were not lost. They knew exactly where they were, and where they were headed. They had however, not anticipated the time it would take to traverse the terrain, given continuous rain and snowpack.

Jrav - thanks for the additional info, but for some reason I still feel like I’m not getting the whole story. A situation requiring an expensive SAR operation shouldn’t happen. I’d like to know why it did.

You obviously have some personal knowledge of the facts. I would like to know:

1. How long was the trip intended to be?

2. How long overdue were they when SAR found them?

3. When did they first determine that they were going to be overdue?

4. What steps if any did they take when they determined they were going to be overdue?

5. How far from a known point of telephone contact were they when they first determined they were going to be overdue?

6. If they were not in a life threatening situation, why did they accept the ride home in the SAR helicopter?

7. Did they pay for all of the costs of the SAR operation?

8. What if anything can be learned from this - and what if anything should the three have done differently?

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

There was a similar story (non-cacher) that took place in California recently. While this story was inflated by the media the moral is still good. I have always had a problem with the thought of heading into the woods with no map, compass, or the knowledge to make both work together. A GPS is great, spare batteries are great but what about when the GPS fails? If you plot your coords on a topo map before you leave you should know if you are off course gps or no gps. I'm not taking a shot at these individuals. Just adding a thought.

In a situation where it was obvious that SAR were making great efforts to find you, making yourself as easily found as possible would be the only responsible thing to do, whether YOU NEED HELP OR NOT! Compounding SAR's efforts by not co-operating fully does not only waist resources, it can and has got searchers killed.

I am personally guilty of not telling my wife where I'm going and when I'll be back. THIS WILL CHANGE! As soon as I'm overdue I would expect her to phone the authorities regardless of my pride or her opinion and LET THE AUTHORITIES DECIDE what and when something needs to be done.( they are the experts )

Why take the helicopter ride?

Heck Why Not? icon_wink.gif

good lessons to be learned.

- Our local Authorities coord's use degrees,min's.

- FRS radio's were not monitored.

- whistles are near useless in timber and wind.

I'd like to hear more.

My 2cents

I think that unless people were there, they have no right to judge. I'm a firm believer in getting information from the source, and then forming opinions, but such does not seem to be the case for some contributors to this thread. Why is it important to know how long they were supposed to be gone, or whether or not they paid for their service? By the way, they DID have topo maps and supplies, and they weren't lost. Look at jrav's post. Suffice it to say that all is well, and life goes on. Peace! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cacherunner:

I'm a firm believer in getting information from the source ....

So am I.

quote:
and then forming opinions....

I believe we have information from "the source", just not enough of it to enable us to form an opinion (or more importantly to determine what lesson if any we can learn from this). This kind of thing can happen to any of us. I was not being judgmental. I was only asking for more information (which incidently, has not been forthcoming).

geol4.JPG

quote:
Seneca wrote:

I believe we have information from "the source", just not enough of it to enable us to form an opinion (or more importantly to determine what lesson if any we can learn from this). This kind of thing can happen to any of us. I was not being judgmental. I was only asking for more information (which incidently, has not been forthcoming).

The lesson learned here is to do what is expected from SAR when you are in need of a rescue (and as the article and jrav mentioned, they did just that and were located quickly).

I don't understand why you feel the need to push this. You say that you're not being judgemental but it's obvious from the questions you posted above that you are attempting just that. The parties involved are home safe and really that is all that matters. Obviously, they made an error in judgement (be it weather, terrain, or whatever) and found themselves in a position where they could not make it back at their anticipated return time. It happens. There is no sense in dragging these guys through the mud. They acted appropriately when they realized that they were not going to make their return time. They're home, safe and warm, and no one died. A little common sense tells you that all is well and there is no need to push the issue. Try putting yourself in their shoes and don't cause these guys any more embarrassment than they have already experienced.

You're a bright guy -- leave this alone and show these fellows a bit of respect. You can learn all you need from what has already been posted.

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on June 20, 2003 at 03:35 AM.]

Last December I spent all day looking for a multi-cache spread out over North Vancouver, which has areas notorious for getting lost. The time was 15:41 when I was less than 300 meters of heavy forest from the final cache. I could taste success. I looked at the sundown feature on my Vista and determined that the sun would be down at 16:19. From where I was, back to my car was about a 15 minute walk through unfamiliar forest. I continued towards the cache when I thought about “Get-home-itus”, a condition that pilots (usually very experienced ones) get, where the desire to get to their destination, causes them to underestimate the conditions and to overestimate their abilities. Good pilots who get it often die. In deciding to keep going for that cache, I felt I was experiencing something similar to “Get-home-itus”. Those thoughts caused me to change my mind and I turned around and headed back for the car - and avoided being on late night news. (I don’t want to pat myself too hard on the back though - I was caching alone and had not left with anyone a “due back time”, or details of where I was caching - pretty embarrassing facts to have to deal with if I did get lost and was required to be rescued)

The impression that I got of the three airlifted geocachers from the article in the Campbell River Mirror, was that of three inexperienced, ill-equipped, hikers who thought that all they needed was a GPSr and they would be completely safe. That story, it turns out, was factually wrong. Jrav has informed us that the three were very experienced and well equipped. Without further information (which I have asked for) I am left with the impression that all three were so intent on finding that cache, that their judgement became clouded, causing them to underestimate the conditions and overestimate their abilities, and they became too exhausted to hike out. This is not something to be ashamed of - but something to learn from. Maybe Geocachers are susceptible to something we can call “Must-find-the-cache-itus”. If I am right, then I think this is incident can become a very important example for Geocachers, and it is worth talking about. (And, of course I am glad, and thankful, that they made it home safe and sound).

geol4.JPG

The end.

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

Seneca, this is certainly a completely different perspective from the barrage of questions that you asked above. Sounds like you're changing your query in an attempt to backpedal. Enough already. OK?

Leave this alone and show these fellows a bit of respect. You can learn all you need from what has already been posted.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Hey, where's Hydee?

She's not here, because I have reluctantly decided to stick to my own posting style instead of trying to emulate someone else. icon_wink.gif

geol4.JPG

As a former Searcher, and a educated Search and Rescue person,I can see where the Story was going, and know for certain that the emotions of the impartial reporter always blow a story out of truth into "public palpability".

Spin is dangerous, how many people are reading this story and now forever condemning geocaching?

How many of these competent people's friends now think of these hapless press victims as they are portrayed?

(When is the soppy movie going to be filmed?)

I do recommend a short course in orienting a Topo map for EVERY geocacher, and an overall review of such contingencies and alternate conditional destinations, a FLIGHT PLAN if you have to bump and run.

Always plan an out, always expect suprises, and always be willing to drop the unnecessary and leave it behind, if it means getting out alive.

These guys, although over-due seem to have been in good shape and well in control. I am certain that they plotted waypoints on the map as they went, and did not plan a multi-day journey lightly.

They seem to have had a plan for being found quickly, and even if unnecessaty to sustain life, they rightfully came out with the Civil crews and allowed the search to end, saving time, resources and anxiety.

Bravo on a successful extraction, and poop on the inaccuracies of the "unbiased" media.

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Time to hide

a treasure inside,

and what will we find?

A dream

a trinket,

stimulation for the mind?

Log: Neat stuff, Thanks!!

Log Two: Took serial number keychain, put stuffed dog back.

Log Three: Took log pages, No TP.

Log four: Took Ammo can, Left nothing.

Seneca- If you are still looking for the lesson in this, try relating it to aviation...

1) They filed a flight plan. (or in the case of being 24 hours overdue, a Flight Note)

2) They had an alternate. (camping gear)

3) They had reserve fuel (4 days worth of food)

4) ILS, GPS, VOR, ADF, DME etc(they had topos, GPS, lap tops and compass)

5) Know when you are pushing the weather. (they decided to stay put and make camp for the night)

It is these actions that resulted in a safe return. SAR was initiated because a responsible person reported them overdue. Should they have waved them off? Pay for it? If only all the pilots who forgot to close their flight plans paid for all the alerting responses they initiated! I'd say that these guys did exactly what they should have done. And they have set a great example for others to follow. I'd go caching with them in a hearbeat. icon_wink.gif

Step away from the tupperware!

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Without further information (which I have asked for) I am left with the impression that all three were so intent on finding that cache... Maybe Geocachers are susceptible to something we can call “Must-find-the-cache-itus”.

Certainly, the thrill of hunting, winning, and collecting the financial rewards by finding these caches has led to something like what you describe.

You raise some really basic points that probably need answers, but due to the way these threads toss and turn with every crashing wave, I doubt you will get them.

Lurking around every keystroke is someone wanting to barge in and kidnap the discussion.

Some folks bully cachers, and some cachers merely bully folks.

quote:
Originally posted by GroundClutter:

Seneca- If you are still looking for the lesson in this, try relating it to aviation...

1) They filed a flight plan. (or in the case of being 24 hours overdue, a Flight Note)

2) They had an alternate. (camping gear)

3) They had reserve fuel (4 days worth of food)

4) ILS, GPS, VOR, ADF, DME etc(they had topos, GPS, lap tops and compass)

5) Know when you are pushing the weather. (they decided to stay put and make camp for the night)

It is these actions that resulted in a safe return. SAR was initiated because a responsible person reported them overdue. Should they have waved them off? Pay for it? If only all the pilots who forgot to close their flight plans paid for all the alerting responses they initiated! I'd say that these guys did exactly what they should have done. And they have set a great example for others to follow. I'd go caching with them in a hearbeat.

Groundclutter, I accept items 1 - 4 of your list. There is no question about it, like good pilots these guys were well and responsibly prepared. Its really item 5 that I was a bit unclear on and wanted more information (particularly the timing and decision making sequence that led up to being more than 24 hours overdue). I need that info before I can form an opinion and not just an impression.

geol4.JPG

quote:

Seneca- I don't know about you, but on some of the caches I have been on, I was surprised at the length of time it took me to reach the actual cache. What appears to be a quick and easy, can often turn out to be hours. From the information provided, it is evident that these gentlemen were on a very difficult hunt. They had taken provisions and tarps. They were prepared for a difficult cache. As the comments state, they had not anticipated continuous rain and snow pack. Thus, they were out there for a long time. The wrong coordinates would no doubt play an important role in the mission.

You are very vague as to what, exactly, you are looking for. Honestly, I can't see what else there needs to be, other than what has already been given. It seems pretty ovbious that they were bogged down by terrain, and darkness. Rather than risk personal injury trying to backtrack through rough ground at night, they stopped. Seems pretty smart to me. icon_wink.gif

As far as needing more information to form an opinion... why? Take whatever lessons you want from the information you have. It's not a trial. Here endeth my lesson.

Step away from the tupperware!

quote:
Originally posted by GroundClutter:

You are very vague as to what, exactly, you are looking for. Honestly, I can't see what else there needs to be, other than what has already been given. ... As far as needing more information to form an opinion... why? Take whatever lessons you want from the information you have. It's not a trial.

Considering that initially the thread was about the "spin" the media put on this unfortunate event, and how much of the information presented was inaccurate, I'm bemused by the fact that Seneca's desire for more information from the POV of those who needed rescue has been met with so much resistance.

The lesson I learned from this thread is that both sides of the story want to limit and "spin" the facts to their advantage.

quote:
BassoonPilot wrote:

The lesson I learned from this thread is that both sides of the story want to limit and "spin" the facts to their advantage.

No disrespect intended, but I don't think so. I certainly have no advantage to gain -- I don't know any of those who were involved. I just think these guys' privacy should be respected. It's like the when something tragic happens to someone and reporters are all over it trying to sensationalize the event. Seems that this is the same case here. Wait until something like this happens to you -- I'll bet you won't want to be answering a lot of frivilous questions. Why is it so important to formulate any opinion here? Why is it so important to have every little detail? To what end? What makes anyone think they have a right to ask any questions? This is not an inquisition. Where does this end... when the names of those involved are divulged? And what's the point of that? It's obvious that uncontrollable circumstances got these fellows into an unfavourable situation and the use of good judgement got them out of it. There's the learned lesson. End of story. Show some respect here and let this thread go, there's no more value in it. Pushing this further is just showing how much disrespect some people have for the privacy of others. Dragging these guys through the mud is not going to accomplish anything other than giving someone some sort of perverse satisfaction knowing that they've embarrased someone more than is necessary.

This is one thread that would have been better not started in the first place.

I was under the impression that we could all learn a great deal from the experiences (positive and negative) of others.

Personally, I'm not interested in knowing who the parties are; the need for facts from their POV was introduced by whoever said the news story was wildly inaccurate.

I also disagree with your suggestiion that "these guys are being dragged through the mud." Most of the items I've read in this thread mention their preparedness, presence of mind and the ultimate wisdom of their actions. I would term that "respectful."

But I also agree that if no new information is forthcoming, then the thread has outlived its usefulness.

quote:
Eeyore and Shadow wrote:

If they were equiped to stay in the wood considerably longer then there were isn't it possible they miscalculated the time it would take and should have told thier keepers that the would be gone another day or two?

Being equipped for much longer than the anticipated length of your journey is the prudent approach when in the wilderness. If they had only taken enough provisions for the intended duration that would have proven to have been a mistake. They did the right thing by being prepared for a period longer than their intended duration.

quote:
BassoonPilot wrote:

I was under the impression that we could all learn a great deal from the experiences (positive and negative) of others.

And we have learned that by being prepared, and doing the right things in the event of a needed rescue is a good thing.

quote:
BassoonPilot wrote:

Personally, I'm not interested in knowing who the parties are; the need for facts from their POV was introduced by whoever said the news story was wildly inaccurate.

And then they clarified the erroneous inaccuracies of the media article by stating the facts. The need was met.

quote:
BassoonPilot wrote:

I also disagree with your suggestion that "these guys are being dragged through the mud."

I never said that they were "being dragged through the mud", only that to do so will serve no useful purpose.

quote:
BassoonPilot wrote:

Most of the items I've read in this thread mention their preparedness, presence of mind and the ultimate wisdom of their actions. I would term that "respectful."

And there's the rub, isn't it? The lesson learned from this is that cool presence of mind, and being prepared are what saved this situation from becoming tragic. Yes, mentioning these things is respectful. Pushing it beyond that, is not.

quote:
But I also agree that if no new information is forthcoming, then the thread has outlived its usefulness.
I agree. Thanks.

From what I can gather (no personal knowledge but only from reading the forums) the three men who were rescued weren't geocaching. What they were after wasn't a geocache, but rather a private treasure hunt. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but surely a geocache is an INTERNET treasure hunt.

Now I'm curious whether anyone has ever needed to be rescued by Search and Rescue while actually geocaching ??

[This message was edited by Loonie Easter Bunnies on June 25, 2003 at 12:28 PM.]