MapBlast!

Guest gnbrotz

Guest gnbrotz

For almost two weeks now, the MapBlast "step by step" map feature has disappeared. I imported the page through PanTerra and then downloaded as route or tracks to my GPS. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this feature still appearing for you? Does anyone know where this feature may be duplicated on the net?

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest arffer

After entering in the start and destination locations, before clicking Get Directions, select the Standard Directions option rather than the default [Line Drive].

Does this not result in the step by step display. I honestly can't remember what it used to look like.

Guest HomeChicken

hey I would like to download a ROUTE to my eTrex legend from mapblast..is there a way for me to do that also? Wwhat is this PanTerra?

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

Guest jeremy

As far as I know it still exists. When you're on the mapblast site, pick the tab that says directions and choose standard instead of line drive directions. Both do turn by turn but standard would probably work with panterra, easy or expertgps.

Jeremy

Guest arffer

HomeChicken,

Topografix makes three programs for use with GPSRs. Check out www.topografix.com.

Easygps is their free waypoint management program. Jeremy supports that programs use here on geocaching. When you are on a cache info page, near the top you will see a link to download the waypoint for use with easygps, and a link to easy gps.

Panterra is their next step up the product line. I know very little about this program. I skipped it after playing with easygps and went straight to their flagship product.

Expertgps combines the features of the other two programs, and allows routes/tracks/waypoints to be directly and automatically plotted on both topographic maps and terraserver satellte images.

Anyway, to answer your question... I know that Expertgps supports the ability to import a mapblast step-by-step directions and convert them to waypoints and route.

I didn't see this capability in easygps, but Jeremy's post above indicates that it does. I'll have to back and look. Gnbrotz's post above likewise indicates that Panterra supports the feature.

Have fun!

Guest gnbrotz

I do use the standard directions rather than the line drive. After receiving the list of directions, there used to be another option to show step by step maps with each leg of directions. It is my understanding that the actual map data (not just the directions) is needed for the import and download to function properly. Without the maps, the directions are useless (at least at far as the GPS downloads are concerned). Maybe Dan from Topografix will see this and be able to enlighten me. I wrote to mapblast support, but have not received a reply.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest arffer

Okay, I figured out how to turn on the step-by-step maps. You MUST use the 'Standard Directions' option, and not line drive.

Once the directions are displayed, look at the bottom of the small map at the top of the directions. See the 'Customize' link between 'Save' and 'PDA Download'? Click it.

On the popup window, the bottom right option is 'Display Step by Step maps'. turn it on, then click 'Update Map' and then click 'Finished'.

The main window will then update and show the step-by-step maps.

I tried this and the route imported into expertgps just fine!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 06 August 2001).]

Guest HomeChicken

arffer,

After a day or two I found and investigated the easy gps free software, downloaded it and then somehow heard about the panterra in the manual and this thread. so I found the mother site at www.topografix.com and read about how it will use the mapblast feature of driving routes and how I can download them on my eTrex Legend..AWESOME!!

then reading about the PanTerra i see they have something called ExpertGPS..."Whats that" so I read on and say to myself "COOL"! SO which trial do I trial out...?? Thinking I better go to the forum to do a search and see which one people like better for the money and low and behold I see a thread where I remember asking a question about PanTerra and I didn't know that someone answered me...Thanks arffer. So I think I will do the trail ExpertGPS, but would love to hear what others think which software (PanTerra, ExpertGPS) gets them by and what they like about either software while I'm trying out the ExpertGPS

------------------

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

Guest arffer

Homechicken,

Wednesday is payday, and in goes my registration for expertgps. I originally was going to buy Oziexplorer for its ability to use any map or ariel/satellite photo, but with ozi you must take the time to register each map/photo so the coordinates work. I love expertgps' ability to jump online and grab exactly the correct USGS topo maps OR terraserver photograph, and the registrtaion of coordinates are done.

One thing I get a kick out of doing after I return from a cache hunt is to download my track to expertgps, display it on a terraserver satellite image, and add the printout to my cache collection. Its cool seeing where I actually walked on the sat photo.

Picking access points is easy to. Use expertgps to show the topomape of where a cache is, then place my cursor over likely access points or trail heads, and create new waypoints. Its great for $60

Guest HomeChicken

arffer,

I noticed that the topo maps are very old. but using the mapblast with the software really fixes that. but i still want the detailed base maps on my legend which will cost me almost $200 for the Garmin mapsource CD and want to buy the newest one that will be out this month. I might figure I can just get by with this software $200 is alot. I'm just so torn on what I should do. Might just get the rods & rec mapsource on eBay for $60..don't really need the address capabilites when the rd&rec CD has all the city streets any way, but then address at my figer tips would be nice...dadgum torn already again..think I'll think about it!

------------------

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken